A-League A-League Men Round 8 - The Walkout Melbourne Derby

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know why my post was deleted saying the FFA was trash and clueless for dissolving the NSL to get rid of 'trouble' makers when these are the worst scenes we've ever seen by far. It doesn't matter if Munga doesn't know history and is confused about who set up the A-League. I didn't insult anyone :D

Being the nsl clubs into division 2 and have promotion :)

The A League will be fine.

If leagues like the nbl with 0 crowds for years can get by and bounce back so can the main football (soccer) league in this country.

NBL (IIRC) reduced teams by quite a bit while struggling, maybe they can look at that.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good idea they can start by kicking Victory out of the league.

Game never got underway after protesters broke in to the ground and got in the pitch earlier in the day

Whether the game got underway or not doesn't matter here. United fans broke into the stadium and went on a riot. They took over the pitch!! Even under those circumstances the game was replayed simply because the integrity of the competition was at stake.

Whether the game got underway or not doesn't matter here. United fans broke into the stadium and went on a riot. They took over the pitch!! Even under those circumstances the game was replayed simply because the integrity of the competition was at stake.

You keep talking about integrity of the competition but that doesn't make it a thing. Forefeits happen in sport, it doesn't ruin the integrity of the competition.

The suggestion of banning alcohol or any other sorts of limitations when 95% of attendees behave fine. I see worse behaviour at AFL games on occasion.
You've seen the crowd invade the pitch and hit players and officials with weapons during an AFL game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously severe penalties should be directed at the morons who rushed the pitch. But it was utterly stupid by Glover to throw a flare into the crowd. He didn’t deserve to be assaulted but there’s a reason players cop cards for ‘incitement’. The pitch invasion probably spared him a red card.
Glover was throwing the flare back to the fence like he did just previously with another one so it could be extinguished, he wasn't meaning for it to go into the crowd

You've seen the crowd invade the pitch and hit players and officials with weapons during an AFL game?

People shoulder charged Geelong players at Buddy's 1000 this year, yeah. Geelong players laughed it off but I'd suggest they weren't too keen on the attention they got.

People shoulder charged Geelong players at Buddy's 1000 this year, yeah. Geelong players laughed it off but I'd suggest they weren't too keen on the attention they got.

Come on, man. You're saying a couple of players being jostled when a crowd of what... 15-20 thousand runs onto the ground is comparable to the mayhem we saw on Saturday, committed by 150 people?

I've been an A-League member for over 10 years. We've never seen anything approaching it in the AFL, but then we wouldn't blame a fullback for inciting a riot after having flares thrown at them by the opposition cheer squad if he threw one back. We wouldn't look at flares being thrown on the ground as part of the event in the first place.

Pretty recently.

That's for a club not being able to field a side due to unpaid wages. A totally different scenario. I'm yet to find a single example of a game that was abandoned not being replayed unless it involved a side going down to 6 players after 5 red cards (forfeit - this happened in battle of Bramwall lane).

I’m so sick of the “glover shouldn’t have thrown a flare back into the crowd”

Maybe not, but that line completely deflects from the absolute criminal behaviour of those victory supporters.

Glover had a number of flares thrown at him. He’d just seen a cameraman get hit by one, before he threw the one into the crowd.

From where I was sitting it didn’t look like he was purposefully aiming it at the crowd, but this throw was more forceful then previous ones so I’m assuming at this point he was fed up.

But regardless, it’s like someone leaving a door unlocked, a group of people invading your home, assaulting you and then saying “well you shouldn’t have left your door unlocked”. We’ll probably not but it’s not the point.

That's for a club not being able to field a side due to unpaid wages. A totally different scenario. I'm yet to find a single example of a game that was abandoned not being replayed unless it involved a side going down to 6 players after 5 red cards (forfeit - this happened in battle of Bramwall lane).

It's a game being forfeited in the last 5 years. You asked when that had happened, I provided evidence. There was no issue with the integrity of the competition as a result.

How about the leagues not resuming after COVID? Bury's expulsion meaning all their games were forfeited? Leagues carry on.

Well if they are serious they need to go a bit "broken window theory" on flares.

As it currently stands, the league / sport tacitly approves of them. Yes they say they are not allowed but they keep on coming in.

As recently as the Socceroo's games telecasts at Fed Square - we saw flares being lit, and the commentariat didn't really condemn it. It is just kind of part of the game. I understand it was such a great moment and we didn't want any wet blankets complaining about the flares at the time - but the standard you walk past is the standard you accept and all of that.

Caught bringing flares in? - Much bigger punishment. Big fines, or shove them up their arse and light them.
Pitch invasion? - See what cricket has done, I think this has helped a fair bit (still happens a bit though)
Assaulting players/refs/media - well that should be aggravated assault - aggravated because it could lead to something much bigger. Potential jail time.

(ok I'm not serious about that one bit with the flares, but the rest I'm dead serious. )

Also needs to be a conversation about the ultras/active support areas. I might be a bit different there but I don't think they really add anything to the culture of the sport, I think they are a bit lame (I think the same about the Barmy Army, Fanatics, etc). But I get how some would see that differently

Lol if you introduced a nightclub style policy of gender ratios that would sort behaviour out pretty quickly too.

Well if they are serious they need to go a bit "broken window theory" on flares.

As it currently stands, the league / sport tacitly approves of them. Yes they say they are not allowed but they keep on coming in.

As recently as the Socceroo's games telecasts at Fed Square - we saw flares being lit, and the commentariat didn't really condemn it. It is just kind of part of the game. I understand it was such a great moment and we didn't want any wet blankets complaining about the flares at the time - but the standard you walk past is the standard you accept and all of that.

Caught bringing flares in? - Much bigger punishment. Big fines, or shove them up their arse and light them.
Pitch invasion? - See what cricket has done, I think this has helped a fair bit (still happens a bit though)
Assaulting players/refs/media - well that should be aggravated assault - aggravated because it could lead to something much bigger. Potential jail time.

(ok I'm not serious about that one bit with the flares, but the rest I'm dead serious. )
They were definitely banned for awhile and people kicked out.

Definitely seems that lately they’ve just become accepted

Also needs to be a conversation about the ultras/active support areas. I might be a bit different there but I don't think they really add anything to the culture of the sport, I think they are a bit lame (I think the same about the Barmy Army, Fanatics, etc). But I get how some would see that differently

Lol if you introduced a nightclub style policy of gender ratios that would sort behaviour out pretty quickly too.

I think without people making atmosphere and chanting games would be pretty dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back