A League Opening Round discussion & tips

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowd 61,880 new record! for a domestic Football match.

If Melbourne was into penis size as much as Sydney is, I'd be inclined to loudly ponder how many we'd get if we played a Melbourne derby at the MCG.

I don't think Melbourne would top 62k during round 1 in the first week of October with the A-League's famously shithouse event promotion. (Seriously, launching the season and the promotion for it 3 days before the season starts? WTF?!)

But given the right set of circumstances - 2 strong teams, the right time of year (ie. not Spring racing carnival, not BBL), and a bit of promotion... Melbourne could/would top it comfortably I think.

I didn't realise they are playing more games at ANZ Stadium thought it was a one off. Who else they play there?

Victory in December.
Perth ( :drunk: ) on New Years Day.
Sydney again in February.
Victory again in April.

(Thanks for asking though, it's the first time I realised that April game was at Homebush. If I get lucky enough for the Eagles or Raiders to play in Sydney on the same weekend I might end up getting to one of the Wanderers games at the Olympic stadium. Although you never get that lucky...)

If Melbourne was into penis size as much as Sydney is, I'd be inclined to loudly ponder how many we'd get if we played a Melbourne derby at the MCG.

I don't think Melbourne would top 62k during round 1 in the first week of October with the A-League's famously shithouse event promotion. (Seriously, launching the season and the promotion for it 3 days before the season starts? WTF?!)

But given the right set of circumstances - 2 strong teams, the right time of year (ie. not Spring racing carnival, not BBL), and a bit of promotion... Melbourne could/would top it comfortably I think.

Mate we would have already smashed 60K plus if any of our Grand Finals was played at the MCG. the FFA and it's Sydney centric media can have their little record and bitch about it all they want it doesn't bother me. I know in due time if it ever comes to be Victory V City or Victory in any GF can break that with ease.
That record broke the 55K that attended the 2007 GF I swear such was the hype over Victory that year that if the GF was played at the G we would have easy topped 90K

It did have that Sydney dick measuring feel to this match in wanting to break the attendance record and take it away from Melbourne. As well as wanting to shove it up to the other codes (particularly the AFL) evidence with Arnie's comments during the week and Simon Hill mentioning the crowd tonight was bigger then the Sydney V GWS final (not by much btw)

It's always been a problem with Sydneysiders they just can't stand Melbourne being better then em' and not just in Football, its as if they just deserve the divine right to be the center of Australia.

Last edited:
Dis gon get ugly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair bump play on

Hand us the title now

:cool:

It did have that Sydney dick measuring feel to this match in wanting to break the attendance record and take it away from Melbourne. As well as wanting to shove it up to the other codes (particularly the AFL) evidence with Arnie's comments during the week and Simon Hill mentioning the crowd tonight was bigger then the Sydney V GWS final (not by much btw)

Yeah, that's what prompted the comment, and even more so than a 4-0 result, it's what tarnished the game - it's like everyone who spoke about the 62k on the broadcast or on twitter isn't saying what an amazing sign of growth this is, or what a great start to the season it provides. It's been about breaking the Melbourne record, and about getting more fans at Homebush than Origin 3 or the AFL finals did.

I don't care about any of this, and it's bullshit like this that feeds into this stupid small minded "code wars" outlook that views me as less of a football fan (or AFL fan or NRL fan) cos I don't actively compare and denigrate other sports. Big country, lots of sports lovers, lots of sponsors and broadcasters that want to show a shitload of sports - there's more than enough room for all 4 codes in Australia.

Weird i missed the games tonight as i had work.
I checked the results on google and it said the derby was a 0-0 draw.
Then checked the A-League site and found out it was 4-0.

Kenny Lowe is gonna be a happy chappy tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back