A-League Round 1 - We Finally Have An Opening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
A-League 20/21 round one! It's been a long road to get here, there where times we though we wouldn't get here but here we are! All be it with a rescheduled opening round and the next three to four rounds also with a few reschedules with the NSW teams all playing each other first due to the Covid Cluster in Sydney!
None the less its good to have football back! and looking forward to some peak A-league moments again :)
Who will win the dunny seat ? Who will be the most improved? How will the new boys Macarthur go? all aboard the A-league roller coaster good to have you back!

Round One Fixture

Monday 28th December
Western United V Adelaide United, GMHBA Stadium Geelong, 7:05pm ESDT

Tuesday 29th December
Brisbane Roar V Melbourne City, Dolphin Stadium, Redcliff, 7:00pm ESDT 6:00pm EST

Wednesday 30th December
Western Sydney V MacArthur FC, BankWest Stadium, 7:10pm ESDT

Thursday 31st December
Central Coast V Newcastle Jets, Bluetongue Stadium, 7:05pm ESDT

notes: Sydney FC, Wellington bye due to postponed and rescheduled matches. Victory, Perth bye due to quarantine.

Predictions: WU 2-1 City 2-0 WSW V Mac 1-1 CCM 1-0

Lets all just finally enjoy the football this weekend and to all the posters who frequent on this board have a very Merry Christmas from the mods team!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hint: It's in my bio. ;)

Second hint: I referred to the opening game of the season. ;) ;)

Oh just when I thought you couldn't be any more likable 🤡🤡🤡😄😄😄

Still that game is a much better season opener than the Wanderers vs Bulls (I refuse to call them Macarthur)

I wouldn't mind Western U so much if they didn't have Berisha and Rudan, two flogs I totally despise, so I guess a wouldn't mind a Reds win really (draw probably better)

:)

Oh just when I thought you couldn't be any more likable 🤡🤡🤡😄😄😄

Still that game is a much better season opener than the Wanderers vs Bulls (I refuse to call them Macarthur)

I wouldn't mind Western U so much if they didn't have Berisha and Rudan, two flogs I totally despise, so I guess a wouldn't mind a Reds win really (draw probably better)

:)

What's wrong with calling them Macarthur?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The league bosses do not want to be in a situation where a club is folded, as was seen with gold coast or NQ. So yes the jets will survive, and so will ccm.
Jets have a huge fanbase ready to tap into. They will be around a very long time.

I hope they do survive as well and think they should and will, I was not trying to imply otherwise I just wanted a view from a Jets fans perspective.

HulkSmash

Just a bit outside...
Jan 7, 2020
Rent-free in your head
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NK, NUJ, SK, ST, NSWW, NSWP, MUFC
Football is big in Newcastle, and yes, there is a fan base they can tap into to. They fold the Jets, they give into the Knights OR give the NBL a huge leg up to return to its birthplace. They can't do that.

I was thinking of going down for this, as members get free access, but after the COVID crap....I'm sort of glad I held off.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
starts tonight. not that fox sports or the a league themselves seem to care. not a peep on the foxsports.com.au home page, but SEVEN nfl stories. next to no promotion seen across any of their channels, and neither fox sports nor the a league running a fantasy competition. that might seem small, but it's a large point of engagement for fans.

how is this meant to make any money or bring in new fans?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
starts tonight. not that fox sports or the a league themselves seem to care. not a peep on the foxsports.com.au home page, but SEVEN nfl stories. next to no promotion seen across any of their channels, and neither fox sports nor the a league running a fantasy competition. that might seem small, but it's a large point of engagement for fans.

FOX couldn’t care any less about the A-League at this point you should know this by now. Having said that WU V Adelaide isn’t exactly an exciting match to promote as an opener. WSW V MacAarthur would have generated some interest. But WU in Geelong? doubt it will attract anyone to go to the game or watch on TV!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
FOX couldn’t care any less about the A-League at this point you should know this by now. Having said that WU V Adelaide isn’t exactly an exciting match to promote as an opener. WSW V MacAarthur would have generated some interest. But WU in Geelong? doubt it will attract anyone to go to the game or watch on TV!
it doesnt matter what is the opener. it is the launch of the season. they'll turn round and cry that people arent watching but do nothing to get eyes on their programming.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Yeah noticed that here in Melbourne too..

FFA need to try be more proactive in that regard, although they have been running lots of ads on Facebook.

Unfortunately, they are kicking the season off (nor their fault due to COVID19 obviously) at a pretty bad time of the sporting calender, middle of the second test, NBA season just tipped off, NFL and Premier League season's in full swing.

Plus it does feel a bit frustrating as a Melbourne City member and fan we do not get our first home game until the middle of January.

Not sure what we can do to fix the problem, Euro Snobbery is still a big problem with getting football fans to watch and attend A League games.

Anyhow I am really looking forward to seeing The season kick off tonight

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Don't expect a whole heap from our young side tonight but who knows

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
it doesnt matter what is the opener. it is the launch of the season. they'll turn round and cry that people arent watching but do nothing to get eyes on their programming.

Mate this is the equivalent of North Melbourne V Gold Coast playing the opener down in Hobart! Whats that saying "you can't polish a turd" I think FOX have recognised that it's just not an attractive match or venue!

I think they would have gone all in with promoting a WSW V MacArthur opener but those plans got quashed unfortunately.

Fox aren't promoting it because they have shown that they just don't give a toss about the A-League. The FFA and the clubs on the other hand should be ashamed of their piss poor attempt at marketing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back