A-League - Round 14: Melbourne Victory v Newcastle Jets

Remove this Banner Ad

All discussion for the A-League Round 14 match between Melbourne Victory & Newcastle Jets may be posted in this thread. It will be stickied until next Tuesday.

BROADCAST DETAILS:

Saturday 7th January 2012

LIVE - FOX SPORTS 1 - 7:30pm EDT, 7pm CDT, 6:30pm EST, 4:30pm WST

(Feel free to start match threads for tomorrow's games, otherwise I'll put them up when I get home after the game tonight)

Why the **** are we wearing our fluoro green kit when it's our home game?, that's like the fourth week in a row that we've worn it...

GREAT SCOTT, Hernandez just ran defensively. A sign of the apocalypse?

A sign that there is a new manager sitting in the stands that has never seen him before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to at least win again, Kewell was great- Archie unlucky.

Also Newcastle get a 3rd kit FFS.

Kewell seemed a different class tonight. Best to play him wide left IMO, will create havoc with his crossing and dribbling.

He isn't quick enough to play a counter attacking striker anymore, as a wide left play he has the smarts and the guile to be dangerous every week

Don't know why it's taken so long to figure out

He isn't quick enough to play a counter attacking striker anymore, as a wide left play he has the smarts and the guile to be dangerous every week

Don't know why it's taken so long to figure out

Probably didn't have the fitness to do it, everybody forgets that Kewell barely touched a football from May to September this year and spent most of the time lounging around on beaches with his family. Was always going to take him awhile to get match fitness back,

Kewell was all over the park today, I recall sometime in the second half Covic playing a short pass to him in the DM position. I did notice in the last quarter of the game that Harry tired noticeably; playing wide left I believe that Kewell is only good for 60-70 mins. Better to have him there for that long then up front and out of the game for long periods. MOTM for me tonight.

Much better tonight for mine. Seemed in complete control the entire match. Even when we didn't have the ball I didn't feel like Newcaslte were going to break us down.

The formation worked well too. Pretty much a 4-1-2-3 (or 4-3-3 attacking, whatever you like) with Kewell, Thompson and Allsopp up front and Hernandez being the playmaker through the midfielder. Only proble I had with it was when Allsopp switched to a wing (and Thompson went central) it went from having a striker and two wingers to two strikers and a left wing. Sort of lost our shape a bit.

Kewell played his best game for us tonight. But the blokes playing on him gave him far too much space. Almost on direspectful levels.

Interesting to see how this new bloke goes.

Awesome crowd with the cricket on across the road. 14,897 is the official attendance

Not to mention the wet weather and our awful form leading in.

Happy with the performance tonight. There's still a lot of work to do but it was a step in the right direction. We're a much better team when we play with width so I'd like to see Rojas start on Friday. Kewell was excellent tonight but I reckon he's been dealt with harshly because of his lack of goals. His input and workrate to this point has been very good.

I'm a fan of having an ex-Southampton player as the new coach too. :thumbsu: What better way to start than a game against Adelaide. I just hope for his sake and for the rest of us that we don't lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back