A League Round 19 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on my A-League squad for FUT? (featuring the best players of the week)
Gonna try it out on FIFA later.

A_LEAUGE.png

And the bench

aleague_2.png

Not on how it affected the game, the error itself
Still think in that sense they were as bad as each other. The ball was as far over the line as Bruce was offside.

Another 2 horrid errors to add to the list though.

I've always thought that if any player besides the goalkeeper picks up the ball after a whistle, it should pretty much automatically be a yellow card. Saw both Victory and City players on Saturday night not only do this when the other team had the free kick, but to keep it off the opposition to the extent that they actually have to be physically fought to get it off them. Why isn't that just as bad as kicking the ball away as an obvious time wasting attempt?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought that if any player besides the goalkeeper picks up the ball after a whistle, it should pretty much automatically be a yellow card. Saw both Victory and City players on Saturday night not only do this when the other team had the free kick, but to keep it off the opposition to the extent that they actually have to be physically fought to get it off them. Why isn't that just as bad as kicking the ball away as an obvious time wasting attempt?

Because you can half pretend you thought it was your free kick or that you're gonna give it back to them, but then take exception when they try to take it off you.

Agree, it's still 'delaying the restart' but it would have to be super blatant or OTT for the ref to show a yellow for it IMO.

Because you can half pretend you thought it was your free kick or that you're gonna give it back to them, but then take exception when they try to take it off you.

Agree, it's still 'delaying the restart' but it would have to be super blatant or OTT for the ref to show a yellow for it IMO.

Pretend that you're going to give it back to them? It's soccer...you should have no right to pick the ball up in your hands in that situation and if there's any doubt that it's not your ball, you really shouldn't be picking it up in your hands. If you do, you should cop the consequences.

I don't think I've ever seen a yellow given for such a display of petulance and I think that picking the ball up is a "super blatant" act, in and of itself. Most of the time, the player that has won the free kick will make a lunge for the ball and the player that is holding it will put the ball behind his back, or put it in a bear grip, just to waste a bit more time.

The thing about soccer is that in the vast majority of occasions that this happens, it is blatantly obvious which team has won the free kick. Player dribbling the ballup the ground, defender slides in and takes the attacking player down. Whistle goes, defender grabs the ball. What could he possibly think he's getting a free kick for?

Pretend that you're going to give it back to them? It's soccer...you should have no right to pick the ball up in your hands in that situation and if there's any doubt that it's not your ball, you really shouldn't be picking it up in your hands. If you do, you should cop the consequences.

I don't think I've ever seen a yellow given for such a display of petulance and I think that picking the ball up is a "super blatant" act, in and of itself. Most of the time, the player that has won the free kick will make a lunge for the ball and the player that is holding it will put the ball behind his back, or put it in a bear grip, just to waste a bit more time.

The thing about soccer is that in the vast majority of occasions that this happens, it is blatantly obvious which team has won the free kick. Player dribbling the ballup the ground, defender slides in and takes the attacking player down. Whistle goes, defender grabs the ball. What could he possibly think he's getting a free kick for?

Yeap, in general, I agree. But I used to do it all the time when I played. Foul someone, pick up the ball, look at the ref and say, "I got the ball ref", then the opponent tries to grab it and I'd loopily throw it over his head or something like that.

Never ever was I worried about being booked for it. Occasionally you'd get a warning but that would be it.

Another common occurrence is when a team pulls a goal back to make it 2-1 or something like that and they want to retrieve the ball to get the game restarted quickly. In this situation the goalkeeper will grab it first and make the goal-scoring team try to physically take it from him. It's all just fun and games, but I agree, referees should be more strict with stopping it.

Yeap, in general, I agree. But I used to do it all the time when I played. Foul someone, pick up the ball, look at the ref and say, "I got the ball ref", then the opponent tries to grab it and I'd loopily throw it over his head or something like that.

Never ever was I worried about being booked for it. Occasionally you'd get a warning but that would be it.

Another common occurrence is when a team pulls a goal back to make it 2-1 or something like that and they want to retrieve the ball to get the game restarted quickly. In this situation the goalkeeper will grab it first and make the goal-scoring team try to physically take it from him. It's all just fun and games, but I agree, referees should be more strict with stopping it.

It used to be the same in Aussie Rules. In juniors you used to get away with giving away a free kick and then taking the ball and putting it on the ground between your legs, forcing the recipient to run over, bend down and grab it and you wouldn't cop any penalty. Nowadays, you will cop a 50m penalty for throwing the ball back to the recipient of the free kick and giving it a bit too much air. The AFL no longer tolerates any delays and crap with the infringing team getting the ball back to the player that has won the free kick immediately and I think the game is much better for it.

I think you're spot on: players do it and get away with it, because players have always done it and got away with it. My point is, perhaps it's time for a league and/or its referees to take a stand and say "do it and you're copping a card". Watch how quickly it stops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back