A-League Round 21 - The Original Derby III and the rescheduled Sydney Derby!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
A-league Round 21 is Highlighted by a rescheduled Sydney derby from a couple of weeks ago and the final Original Derby at Marvel stadium.

A-league Round 21

Friday 28th February
Sydney FC V Western Sydney Wanderers, Jubilee Stadium, 8:00pm ESDT

Saturday 29th February
Newcastle Jets V Perth Glory, Hunter Stadium, 5:00pm ESDT (ABC TV Broadcast match, Check local guides)
Melbourne Victory V Adelaide United, Marvel Stadium, 7:30pm ESDT

Sunday 1st March
Western United V Central Coast Mariners, GMHBA Stadium, 4:00pm ESDT
Melbourne City V Brisbane Roar, AAMI Park, 6:30pm ESDT

Bye: Wellington Phoenix

Predictions: Syd 2-0 Perth 2-1 Vic 2-1 WU 2-0 City 1-0

Enjoy the football this weekend.

RBB in trouble again with derby antics.
For what it’s worth, to me a very strange response to put out in the aftermath from them: We have basically removed a homophobic slur as it may have been offensive, but won’t be apologising. Good luck to Sydney. Let’s all bring a family atmosphere to the game.

Almost petulant.

For what it’s worth, to me a very strange response to put out in the aftermath from them: We have basically removed a homophobic slur as it may have been offensive, but won’t be apologising. Good luck to Sydney. Let’s all bring a family atmosphere to the game.

Almost petulant.

Dickheads.

Even their club slapped them down for being pathetic.

RBB are just teens who wish they were Eurothugs.

Many Wanderers fans are decent people though. (That made me feel ill).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Almost petulant.

Not defending the RBB, but where do you draw the line between what is deemed acceptable banter and offensive ?

As a former member of Melbourne Heart/City active support (before i realize they were a pack of juvenile Millenials mostly and drunken UK ex pats) we sang songs about Muscat being a paedophile (which i am certain we stole from The Cove) and Archie T being a wife basher.
Although to be fair, I recall the leader of Yarraside (Ando) calling out some git for using an offensive homophobic slur against a Sea Bogans aka Mariners player about 7-8 years ago.

I doubt the core of the RBB will ever change tbh. Just as hooligans from some English clubs esp London based (Millwall, West Ham and Chelsea) will never change their bigotry and racism (the amount of anti-semite chants still directed at Tottenham fans is pathetic)

Almost petulant.

They will never change, bunch of wannabe Green street hooligans.

Is that all it was ? I am against all forms of Homophobia, but honestly I was expecting something a lot worse.

It's unfortunate and bad timing that the Derby was rescheduled on Mardi Gras parade night, but really, i honestly think this is bit of an overreaction to some misguided banter, that doesn't have the same nasty connotations like that nasty Graham Arnold tifo.

Is that all it was ? I am against all forms of Homophobia, but honestly I was expecting something a lot worse.

It's unfortunate and bad timing that the Derby was rescheduled on Mardi Gras parade night, but really, i honestly think this is bit of an overreaction to some misguided banter, that doesn't have the same nasty connotations like that nasty Graham Arnold tifo.
Yeah bit of an overreaction, pretty soft.

Its essentially saying most Sydney FC fans are gay, its a very childish attempt at banter imo. I don’t find it funny nor I wouldn’t think Sydney fans will find it offensive just plain stupid. Just shows the mentality of these idiots.

And whats wrong with that?

Its school yard banter doesn’t belong within a public forum, it’s like two kids saying your gay, no your gay.

You may still like that kind of banter, but personally its quite stupid and just shows the kind of intellect running these accounts.

Its school yard banter doesn’t belong within a public forum, it’s like two kids saying your gay, no your gay.

You may still like that kind of banter, but personally its quite stupid and just shows the kind of intellect running these accounts.

More Juvenile than offensive, which is probably what you are saying.

Not saying I approve of it myself, but seeing as the Derby falls on the same night as the Mardi Gras (unfortunately), it was topical, perhaps there wouldn't have been such an outrage if the RBB didn't have previous history of such behaviour.

Having said that Easts (Sydney FC) and The Cove are have also made crass and obscene class and stereotypical sledging about Wanderers (aka Terrorists/Unemployed Bums etc) and Victory fans (the infamous T***s slur was made up by The Smurfs)

As I mentioned in a previous obviously a line has been drawn at offensive Tifos/banners at games, as well as social media posts both from active support groups and individual fans, but where do you draw the line at the songs sung in ASGs and verbal abuse shouted by morons in the Crowd?

Security/Police can only do so much, thankfully being a City fan with not a large fanbase, we tend not to have many hooligans/ejections at our games, which as a sufferer of anxiety/panic attacks I appreciate. (I never go to.Away Derbies unless it's in the finals, which has happened once, been attacked for no reason by a group of Victory Hoons at a Derby they hosted years ago, never again)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More Juvenile than offensive, which is probably what you are saying.

Not saying I approve of it myself, but seeing as the Derby falls on the same night as the Mardi Gras (unfortunately), it was topical, perhaps there wouldn't have been such an outrage if the RBB didn't have previous history of such behaviour.

Having said that Easts (Sydney FC) and The Cove are have also made crass and obscene class and stereotypical sledging about Wanderers (aka Terrorists/Unemployed Bums etc) and Victory fans (the infamous T***s slur was made up by The Smurfs)

As I mentioned in a previous obviously a line has been drawn at offensive Tifos/banners at games, as well as social media posts both from active support groups and individual fans, but where do you draw the line at the songs sung in ASGs and verbal abuse shouted by morons in the Crowd?

Security/Police can only do so much, thankfully being a City fan with not a large fanbase, we tend not to have many hooligans/ejections at our games, which as a sufferer of anxiety/panic attacks I appreciate. (I never go to.Away Derbies unless it's in the finals, which has happened once, been attacked for no reason by a group of Victory Hoons at a Derby they hosted years ago, never again)

Been an ongoing argument about the T**ds comments. Club and many fans(including myself) have said they are wrong, Cove is also of that viewpoint, well the last time it was brought up anyway,

Centrelink comments are part of banter like latè sipping.

When you go race, religion, sexual orientation or mental disability you cross a line.

It’s not hard.

Been an ongoing argument about the T**ds comments. Club and many fans(including myself) have said they are wrong, Cove is also of that viewpoint, well the last time it was brought up anyway,

When you go race, religion, sexual orientation or mental disability you cross a line.

It’s not hard.

Fair call. I would like to hope the Cove has grown up a bit, I recall some plonker on the SFCU forum (the Cove) made a disgraceful comment with reegards to the Victorian Bushfires not so long after it happened, gladly I think he got roasted by other SFCU fans and perma banned by the mods (back then, it was almost anything goes, and you had to be a real dicktaco to get banned)

In hindsight, you do have to wonder if the FFA should have scheduled the Derby on Sunday afternoon and moved City v Brisbane to Saturday Night to avoid any potential Mardi Gras or homophobic sledging from The RBB/Wanderers fans..

Last edited by a moderator:

It’s not hard.

Excuse me?

Fair call. I would like to hope the Cove has grown up a bit, I recall some plonker on the SFCU forum (the Cove) made a disgraceful comment with reegards to the Victorian Bushfires not so long after it happened, gladly I think he got roasted by other STCU fans and perma banned by the mods (back then, it was almost anything goes, and you had to be a real dicktaco to get banned)

In hindsight, you do have to wonder if the FFA should have scheduled the Derby on Sunday afternoon and moved City v Brisbane to Saturday Night to avoid any potential Mardi Gras or homophobic sledging from The RBB/Wanderers fans..

FFA shouldn’t have to schedule games based off ridiculous and stupid childish games.

Not defending the RBB, but where do you draw the line between what is deemed acceptable banter and offensive ?

As a former member of Melbourne Heart/City active support (before i realize they were a pack of juvenile Millenials mostly and drunken UK ex pats) we sang songs about Muscat being a paedophile (which i am certain we stole from The Cove) and Archie T being a wife basher.
Although to be fair, I recall the leader of Yarraside (Ando) calling out some git for using an offensive homophobic slur against a Sea Bogans aka Mariners player about 7-8 years ago.

I doubt the core of the RBB will ever change tbh. Just as hooligans from some English clubs esp London based (Millwall, West Ham and Chelsea) will never change their bigotry and racism (the amount of anti-semite chants still directed at Tottenham fans is pathetic)

Obviously core of RBB isn’t changing any time soon, the response statement is proof of that. Sarcastic and through gritted teeth after discovering that offence could have been caused to some.

If you’re still interested in how I’d draw the line of acceptability, well firstly I try not to, a one size fits all approach isn’t really appropriate. But generally if I can put myself in someone else’s shoes, if not my own, and then recognise how something may potentially be hurtful then it’s across the line.
In this case I can understand especially the gay and lesbian community not really appreciating when the festival celebrating their rights is still thrown around in a joking, jibing manner by the official support group of an elite sporting club down the road.

The point I was making General Giant is that you said use of the word remains an ongoing discussion, and then you say unequivocally that mental disability is off limits. Both can't be true.

I appreciate you saying that you don't agree with use of the word, but as disgusting as what the RBB said is, Smurfs fans aren't really in a position to claim moral high ground.

The point I was making General Giant is that you said use of the word remains an ongoing discussion, and then you say unequivocally that mental disability is off limits. Both can't be true.

I appreciate you saying that you don't agree with use of the word, but as disgusting as what the RBB said is, Smurfs fans aren't really in a position to claim moral high ground.

I do say it’s off limits. Though there are a few fans though that still use it.
As far as I’m aware it’s not the Cove (anymore as it was used often wrongly) but just some fans unlike the RBB hierarchy who use the homophobic slurs.

If the Cove continues to use the term then yes you are right, but if it is consigned to the history books then all the better. Hopefully the RBB are the same, though judging by their “apology” they won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back