Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
A-League round 23 and the caronaVirus has finally been declared a pandemic! Not stopping the A-League through not this week anyway. The Highlight match of the round is at Jubilee with the Grand Final replay between Sydney FC V Perth Glory!

A-League Round 23

Friday 13th March
Brisbane Roar V Central Coast Mariners, Suncorp Stadium, 7:30pm ESDT 6:30pm EST

Saturday 14th March
Sydney FC V Perth Glory, Jubilee Stadium, 5:00pm ESDT (ABC TV Broadcast match, Check local guides)
Melbourne City V Western Sydney Wanderers, AAMI Park, 7:30pm ESDT

Sunday 15th March
Wellington Phoenix V Melbourne Victory, Westpac Stadium, 4:20pm ESDT 6:20pm NZT
Adelaide United V Newcastle Jets, Hindmarsh Stadium, 6:20pm CSDT

Bye: Western United

Predictions: Roar 3-0 Syd 2-1 City 2-0 Nix 3-1 Adel 2-0

Enjoy the football this weekend, make sure to always wash your hands.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Our run home has no guaranteed games. Would love to beat these smaller teams before we play the likes of Sydney and Perth 🥴 #ElmerJuddTrolling

But in all seriousness, we need to beat all the teams under us to prove we're Top 2 worthy. You Vics are always a challenge no matter where we play you or where you are on the ladder.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
FFS This had to happen during the best season Melbourne City has had in its pretty poor history.
I was keen to fly up to Sydney to watch us play The Smurfs in The Granny

My only consolation is if they cancel the Premier League and Liverpool are not awarded the title. That would be sweet :D

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Matches to go ahead as planned at this stage.

FFA statement regarding COVID-19 impacts of football competitions including Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League matches this weekend
In light of evolving circumstances surrounding COVID-19 both domestically and internationally, Football Federation Australia (FFA) would like to provide fans, players and the broader community with an update in relation to the impact of the pandemic on Australian football, including in particular the Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League this weekend.

FFA will continue to place at the highest priority the health and wellbeing of players, fans, officials and the wider football community at all levels of the game. In doing so, will continue to make decisions primarily based upon Federal and State Government direction, supplemented with advice provided by FFA’s Chief Medical Officer and Club doctors.

In relation to the Leagues, FFA can advise that this weekend’s Round 23 matches for the Hyundai A-League and the Semi Finals of the Westfield W-League will all proceed as scheduled. However, in consultation with Clubs, we will have agreed mitigation protocols to be in place for all matches.

FFA, Club CEOs and Head of Leagues are communicating daily regarding COVID-19, both in relation to mitigation planning and response protocols. Further, we are working with other key stakeholders, including Professional Footballers Australia, to ensure a response is commensurate with the Governments’ published position.

At this stage there remains no restrictions around Football events, however we are conscious to ensure a safe working environment for our players, match officials, staff and volunteers. Additionally, we are also working with stadia to optimise sanitation protocols for fans to ensure their safety.

“We are currently taking advice from the Government Authorities and our Chief Medical Officer in relation to managing COVID-19 (Novel coronavirus), and we have also been working with our venues to provide increased levels of hygiene practices and access to all our valued fans and other stakeholders at all matches this weekend.” said FFA Head of Leagues, Greg O’Rourke.

“In collaboration with Clubs and our key stakeholders, we are also ensuring our plans are scalable should the situation escalate further. This may involve playing matches behind closed doors in the future but again this will be based on Government advice.

“We are in discussions regarding Leagues and Clubs non-match day activity, such as community visits, football clinics and players’ and officials’ attendance at events. As with our match day mitigation protocols, we will be prioritising the advice of Government and our medical staff in decision making in this context.

“As always, the health and welfare of our players, officials, volunteers, fans and all stakeholders is a priority for us during this time,” concluded O’Rourke.

FFA is has also established a multi-stakeholder COVID-19 working group to consider the impacts of the virus on other competitions including the FFA Cup, National Premier Leagues and grassroots community football.

The working group will also consider the advice of Federal and State Government health agencies and FFA’s own Chief Medical Officer in order to develop appropriates measures and mitigations across all levels of the game whilst seeking to ensure the continued enjoyment of the game by all Australians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
FFS This had to happen during the best season Melbourne City has had in its pretty poor history.
I was keen to fly up to Sydney to watch us play The Smurfs in The Granny

My only consolation is if they cancel the Premier League and Liverpool are not awarded the title. That would be sweet :D

Getting a little ahead of yourself there mate don't you think?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Matches to go ahead as planned at this stage.

FFA statement regarding COVID-19 impacts of football competitions including Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League matches this weekend
In light of evolving circumstances surrounding COVID-19 both domestically and internationally, Football Federation Australia (FFA) would like to provide fans, players and the broader community with an update in relation to the impact of the pandemic on Australian football, including in particular the Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League this weekend.

FFA will continue to place at the highest priority the health and wellbeing of players, fans, officials and the wider football community at all levels of the game. In doing so, will continue to make decisions primarily based upon Federal and State Government direction, supplemented with advice provided by FFA’s Chief Medical Officer and Club doctors.

In relation to the Leagues, FFA can advise that this weekend’s Round 23 matches for the Hyundai A-League and the Semi Finals of the Westfield W-League will all proceed as scheduled. However, in consultation with Clubs, we will have agreed mitigation protocols to be in place for all matches.

FFA, Club CEOs and Head of Leagues are communicating daily regarding COVID-19, both in relation to mitigation planning and response protocols. Further, we are working with other key stakeholders, including Professional Footballers Australia, to ensure a response is commensurate with the Governments’ published position.

At this stage there remains no restrictions around Football events, however we are conscious to ensure a safe working environment for our players, match officials, staff and volunteers. Additionally, we are also working with stadia to optimise sanitation protocols for fans to ensure their safety.

“We are currently taking advice from the Government Authorities and our Chief Medical Officer in relation to managing COVID-19 (Novel coronavirus), and we have also been working with our venues to provide increased levels of hygiene practices and access to all our valued fans and other stakeholders at all matches this weekend.” said FFA Head of Leagues, Greg O’Rourke.

“In collaboration with Clubs and our key stakeholders, we are also ensuring our plans are scalable should the situation escalate further. This may involve playing matches behind closed doors in the future but again this will be based on Government advice.

“We are in discussions regarding Leagues and Clubs non-match day activity, such as community visits, football clinics and players’ and officials’ attendance at events. As with our match day mitigation protocols, we will be prioritising the advice of Government and our medical staff in decision making in this context.

“As always, the health and welfare of our players, officials, volunteers, fans and all stakeholders is a priority for us during this time,” concluded O’Rourke.

FFA is has also established a multi-stakeholder COVID-19 working group to consider the impacts of the virus on other competitions including the FFA Cup, National Premier Leagues and grassroots community football.

The working group will also consider the advice of Federal and State Government health agencies and FFA’s own Chief Medical Officer in order to develop appropriates measures and mitigations across all levels of the game whilst seeking to ensure the continued enjoyment of the game by all Australians.

A sensible and rational decision by the FFA for once. Although i do believe players should have the option not to play if they don't feel comfortable.

The cynic in me suggests they are taking advantage of the Grand Prix being called off.
Maybe Melbourne City can get a halfway decent crowd, I will be there with bells on. Didn't stop going to Heart games when we went over 300 Calendar days without a win, and I ain't going to let a potentially fatal virus stop me now.

A football club is a lot like a marriage, through thick and thin, sickness and good health, good times and bad, you gotta stick with em.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
A sensible and rational decision by the FFA for once. Although i do believe players should have the option not to play if they don't feel comfortable.

The cynic in me suggests they are taking advantage of the Grand Prix being called off.
Maybe Melbourne City can get a halfway decent crowd, I will be there with bells on. Didn't stop going to Heart games when we went over 300 Calendar days without a win, and I ain't going to let a potentially fatal virus stop me now.

A football club is a lot like a marriage, through thick and thin, sickness and good health, good times and bad, you gotta stick with em.

lol funniest statement I've read all day!

I think the FFA like the AFL/NRL are throwing the ball into the Governoments court, until they see fit to call off all mass meetings than it's business as usual. But it's just a matter of time. It only takes one player or an official working at a club or at the stadium for the situation to change and that all seem inevitable now.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
lol funniest statement I've read all day!

I think the FFA like the AFL/NRL are throwing the ball into the Governoments court, until they see fit to call off all mass meetings than it's business as usual. But it's just a matter of time. It only takes one player or an official working at a club or at the stadium for the situation to change and that all seem inevitable now.

What if no one gets sick at an A League game this weekend (stats would say that is highly unlikely) ?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
What if no one gets sick at an A League game this weekend (stats would say that is highly unlikely) ?
A Pity this country has such weak leaders atm who don't seem to understand or know what to do in a state of crisis pandemic, apart from the usual spin of just take precautions 'she'll be right mate.' If they had listening to medical experts advice in how to contain the virus and stopped all mass gatherings and shut the borders earlier we may have had a chance to stop this, now it is to late! We are screwed if this is still viral heading into winter!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
A Pity this country has such weak leaders atm who don't seem to understand or know what to do in a state of crisis pandemic, apart from the usual spin of just take precautions 'she'll be right mate' If they had listening to medical experts advice in how to contain the virus and stopped all mass gatherings and shut the borders earlier we may have had a chance to stop this, now it is to late! We are screwed if this is still viral heading into winter!

I suspect under the latest orders from the Fed Goverment about the banning of mass gatherings, this week's game will be called off (no jokes about City's rubbish crowds, we get it :D)

Hindsight is everything, but who knows exactly how many people/travellers had been infected with CV for a border closure to be necessary ?

We are lucky that we live in a continent like Australia with no neighbouring countries like in Europe or Asia, so we won't have the crisis that is running through Italy.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I suspect under the latest orders from the Fed Goverment about the banning of mass gatherings, this week's game will be called off (no jokes about City's rubbish crowds, we get it :D)

Hindsight is everything, but who knows exactly how many people/travellers had been infected with CV for a border closure to be necessary ?

We are lucky that we live in a continent like Australia with no neighbouring countries like in Europe or Asia, so we won't have the crisis that is running through Italy.

You know Italy three weeks ago had only three cases of coronaVirus! Now it's over 15,000 infected and over 1,000 deaths! Put that into perceptive! It can easily happen here too, despite being an island we are far from safe!

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You know Italy three weeks ago had only three cases of coronaVirus! Now it's over 15,000 infected and over 1,000 deaths! Put that into perceptive! It can easlier happen here too, despite being an island we are far from safe!

True, but i believe we have learnt from Italy's mistake (who have a much larger population to land ratio) and better medical infrastructure than them.

I am out having a couple of Coldies at my local pub (work has been shut down for a few weeks), irs important to remain vigilant but also I think it is extremely unhealthy if people start really hoarding stuff and become shut ins at their local house(aka bunker)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

Just seen that statement looks like the FFA need to change their statement!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
True, but i believe we have learnt from Italy's mistake (who have a much larger population to land ratio) and better medical infrastructure than them.

I am out having a couple of Coldies at my local pub (work has been shut down for a few weeks), irs important to remain vigilant but also I think it is extremely unhealthy if people start really hoarding stuff and become shut ins at their local house(aka bunker)

Hope you are right mate, my concern now is that we are heading into winter where other flu's and virus's could merge with this coronaVirus and create one mega virus! The Northern hemisphere is heading in to summer so it would be unlikely there, but for us it could get worse, through that is just the cynic in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back