Remove this Banner Ad

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I tried searching for a thread on stadiums but couldn't find any, apologies if they exist.
As someone who thinks the stadium is probably as equal to the players in providing a good experience on match day I often wonder what other grounds around the country are like.

Hindmarsh Stadium looks like it'd be good and am planning making a trip there next year. SFS looks ok for viewing but appears it has no atmosphere.

On another note, SEN were discussing Victory's plight when the AFL take over Etihad. Sure they wont stop the Victory playing but as was mentioned they surely wont get as good a deal as they currently get (apparently costs 30K to move seats in which Etihad currently waive the fee). As our membership grows to a point were AAMI Park will become nonviable for a majority of games I, as well as the Victory hierarchy, am concerned as to what will happen.

Biased as *, but Hindmarsh is indeed an awesome stadium :p

Could do with an uplift through (and I'm not just talking about seats). There is word about that the AEC will eventually look into this.
AAMI Park is also great.

Central Coast Stadium is alright. Scenic enough, despite the fact that no one rocks up and Gosford is a hole.

AAMI Park is quite good and I was only there for a pre-season game. NIB has improved remarkably since the grandstand was put up.

As our membership grows to a point were AAMI Park will become nonviable for a majority of games

Membership total isn't the same as match attendance though. Many members don't buy match access or have GA access and only attend sometimes.

Collingwood have 70,000 members but there sure as hell isn't 70,000 members at their games.

Last edited:
Membership total isn't the same as match attendance though. Many members don't buy match access or have GA access and only attend sometimes.

Collingwood have 70,000 members but there sure as hell isn't 70,000 members at their games.
Of course but they also have to allow allocated seats for non members and away fans within the capacity. That's why there's the member seat sell back program now. Not sure what the exact break up of stadium allocation is but Victory have to assume that all members will turn up unless notified otherwise (seat buy back). Once the membership figure gets to 24/25,000 I would assume that they've outsold what they're allowed to.

Ive only been to Hindmarsh, Aami Park and Etihad.
Etihad I think is a bit meh... dont like the oval turning to rectangular idea that much... but sure beats trying to watch soccer games at Adel Oval.

Hindmarsh is a nice place to watch soccer from, but is a bit old and not the easiest place to get to.

Aami Park imo is by far the best venue Ive been to for watching soccer/rugby games. Fairly close to the action, modern facilities, easy to get to. The size of the ground is a bit of a concern, but given the foundations were laid for a 50k seat stadium, I think an upgrade will occur soon, especially if the AFL play hard ball when they take over Etihad.

Ive only been to Hindmarsh, Aami Park and Etihad.
Etihad I think is a bit meh... dont like the oval turning to rectangular idea that much... but sure beats trying to watch soccer games at Adel Oval.

Hindmarsh is a nice place to watch soccer from, but is a bit old and not the easiest place to get to.

Aami Park imo is by far the best venue Ive been to for watching soccer/rugby games. Fairly close to the action, modern facilities, easy to get to. The size of the ground is a bit of a concern, but given the foundations were laid for a 50k seat stadium, I think an upgrade will occur soon, especially if the AFL play hard ball when they take over Etihad.

Really? There is a tram that takes 10 minutes max from the CBD - ridiculously easy to get to and the upgrades they've done have kept it reasonably fresh. Great place to watch a game, second only to AAMI Park in this country IMO. Just a shame that most of our away games over in Adelaide now will be played at Adelaide Oval.

Really? There is a tram that takes 10 minutes max from the CBD - ridiculously easy to get to and the upgrades they've done have kept it reasonably fresh. Great place to watch a game, second only to AAMI Park in this country IMO. Just a shame that most of our away games over in Adelaide now will be played at Adelaide Oval.

I dont think it is... maybe after living in Melb for a number of years and the ease to get to all the stadiums there has swayed my view... but if you have to catch a train, then change to a tram, which when u r at the tram stop at the train station good bloody luck getting on... no that isn't easy to get to. Much easier a city stadium next to AO.

+1. Hindmarsh best place to watch football away from AAMI Park. Easy tram ride from the 'city' and a 5 min walk from the tram stop. Not to mention having a pre match drink or 2 at The Gov :)

+1. Hindmarsh best place to watch football away from AAMI Park. Easy tram ride from the 'city' and a 5 min walk from the tram stop. Not to mention having a pre match drink or 2 at The Gov :)

Yep exactly. I can't see anything that is difficult about it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFA need to stay away from big stadiums and work on 20-30k rectangular stadiums for each team. They constantly seem to underrate (or use it for marketing then screw the fans over) the difference a mostly packed and close to the action stadium has on the atmosphere and therefore peoples want to come back.

It's no coincidence the stadiums named in this thread all fall under the same bracket. Sure you might lock a few people out once in a while but it will ultimately drive membership and a higher demand.

There is a train that is also only a 5 minute (if that) walk from the ground too.

Been to nib plenty of times, great little ground since the redevelopment. Also saw Adelaide Utd vs Villarreal at Hindmarsh (no I didn't go over to see it) a few months back and it was quite a nice little stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back