Channel 10, Paramount Plus TV Rights Thread

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone remember how the uptake of Optus was when the EPL moved? I think that's a bit of an issue with the new streaming service, is pub take up - I don't see it being enormous for an A-League streaming service apart from your dedicated sports bars and football bars. And they're going to rely on that kind of exposure to grow interest in the game, cos people aren't attending in person at the moment for, I think, COVID reasons at the moment.

I can see ViacomCBS getting a really rude shock when the number of streamers who sign up in September/October is only in the 20-30k range. There'd be some merit to them giving it away to pubs for the first season, cos I don't see many of the pubs in my area taking it up. Even the ones you can usually get a tv at for A-league now (and I'm in the inner north, which is obviously traditionally an area with a lot of first, second and third generation Europeans.)

15 for Kayo + 99 a year for Optus + whatever Paramount costs + whatever ends up happening with the UCL - it's starting to add up. And I can see an Amazon or Stan Sport being a pain in the arse buying Bundesliga or La Liga or the EFL depending on the length of their BeIN deals.
It will be interesting where everything ends up. Paramount isn't just the soccer, it will have alot of the old cbs shows, paramount content and some new content as well (stan but with no additional cost for sport). In its current set up I wouldn't see 10 all access as worth it, but would have to see what paramount looks like.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Thrilled that we are getting all the Australian football content in one place should always be the aim. The National teams Socceroos/Matildas are always the carrot that will get people attracted to the sport I'm assuming if its on free to air it will help boost subscriptions to Paramount plus for the other content.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Good initiative by the clubs and the broadcaster

A-League clubs to offer discounted Paramount+ subscription with membership

A-League club members will be given access to discounted memberships to new ViacomCBS streaming service Paramount+, at a rate cheaper than the $8.99 standard monthly cost, when the platform launches in August.

The Central Coast Mariners are the first club to have included a 12-month subscription in any Gold or Platinum membership, or for an additional $70 on top of ordinary club membership, a discount of $37.88 on a yearly basis.

As a monthly cost, that works out to $5.83, making it comfortably cheaper than any other streaming service in Australia.

Sydney FC has confirmed via Twitter that a similar offer will be made available for its members, most of whom have already renewed their memberships for next season.

Mumbrella understands the offer is likely to become available across all A-League clubs before the 2021/22 season gets underway.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
yeah will probably wait till the A-League season starts myself before subscribing, hopefully we get an app on smart TV's, just checked mine not one on their yet.

I’ve got Hisense VIDAA and have been arguing with them for 12 months over apps and their lack of them.
Keep getting promised “coming soon” but get zip.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
On one hand I like that because I am not a fan of his punditry. On the other hand, he has done so much to further the game in this country that I think he deserves a shot on Paramount.
Atleast he still has a gig so his voice isn't lost. Should be new blood with the ten coverage which will be good.

Atleast he still has a gig so his voice isn't lost. Should be new blood with the ten coverage which will be good.

Hopefully there is new blood but I think it will be a lot of the usual suspects with new blood slowly being eased in over time.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Would it be the A League without a s**t show of a start with the new broadcast partner?

I'm sure the clubs will be pretty annoyed that they've pushed this and it's not working. No doubt they'll fix it but first impressions last.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Would it be the A League without a sh*t show of a start with the new broadcast partner?

I'm sure the clubs will be pretty annoyed that they've pushed this and it's not working. No doubt they'll fix it but first impressions last.
It is APL that aren't giving the codes!

Back