A-League Week 8 Discussion & Tips

Remove this Banner Ad

None of the usual suspects have posted a thread this week, so I guess I will.

Thursday: Central Coast Mariners have beaten Perth Glory 2-0.

Friday: Western Sydney Wanderers vs Brisbane Roar @ Spotless Stadium 7.50pm

Saturday: Melbourne Victory vs Newcastle Jets @ AAMI Park 5.35pm

Sydney FC vs Adelaide United @ Sydney Football Stadium 7.50pm

Sunday: Melbourne City vs Wellington Phoenix @ AAMI Park 5pm

-------------

Good effort from the Mariners tonight. It's the first time in forever that they've kept a clean sheet, and for now at least they're actually in the top 6! They're making some massive strides under Okon, so well done to them.

The Wanderers haven't had a great start to the season, but they've had some bad luck and I think the Roar are eminently beatable. I'll have the Wanderers 2-1.

Victory are back to AAMI Park for the first time this A-League season, which is a win for those of us that hate football at Docklands. The Jets are somewhat of a bogey team, and having 2 weeks off could be rough. But I think the Victory just have too much firepower for the Jets. 3-1 to Victory.

Sydney have been nothing short of awesome so far this season, and are clearly the team to beat. Adelaide haven't been anywhere near as bad as their record suggests, but the fact this game is in Sydney means I have to lean towards the smurfs. 4-2 Sydney.

First time this season that there's been 2 games in Melbourne, but I think 5pm Sunday could result in the empty seats being the talking point again this week. As with the Victory, the Nix having a 2 week break in the middle of the season isn't ideal, and having just experienced an earthquake it's questionable how they'll bounce back. But I think they will, and I'm tipping an upset 2-2 draw this week.

Last edited:

The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
None of the usual suspects have posted a thread this week, so I guess I will.

Thursday: Central Coast Mariners have beaten Perth Glory 2-0.

Friday: Western Sydney Wanderers vs Brisbane Roar @ Spotless Stadium 7.50pm

Saturday: Melbourne Victory vs Newcastle Jets @ AAMI Park 5.35pm

Sydney FC vs Adelaide United @ Sydney Football Stadium 7.50pm

Sunday: Melbourne City vs Wellington Phoenix @ AAMI Park 5pm

-------------

Good effort from the Mariners tonight. It's the first time in forever that they've kept a clean sheet, and for now at least they're actually in the top 6! They're making some massive strides under Okon, so well done to them.

The Wanderers haven't had a great start to the season, but they've had some bad luck and I think the Roar are eminently beatable. I'll have the Wanderers 2-1.

Victory are back to AAMI Park for the first time this A-League season, which is a win for those of us that hate football at Docklands. The Jets are somewhat of a bogey team, and having 2 weeks off could be rough. But I think the Victory just have too much firepower for the Jets. 3-1 to Victory.

Sydney have been nothing short of awesome so far this season, and are clearly the team to beat. Adelaide haven't been anywhere near as bad as their record suggests, but the fact this game is in Sydney means I have to lean towards the smurfs. 4-2 Sydney.

First time this season that there's been 2 games in Melbourne, but I think 5pm Sunday could result in the empty seats being the talking point again this week. As with the Victory, the Nix having a 2 week break in the middle of the season isn't ideal, and having just experienced an earthquake it's questionable how they'll bounce back. But I think they will, and I'm tipping an upset 2-2 draw this week.
Would be a high scoring round if it eventuates as you said it would! Hopefully it does...

puntking

All Australian
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
not bad week this few could go either way
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Tips for the remaining games:

Victory vs. Newcastle - 2-1 (20k)
Sydney vs. Adelaide - 3-1 (15k)
City vs. Wellington - 4-2 (10k)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
bloody hell this spray it to the wingers stuff is ugly as sin.

add in that we dont do it very well to make it worse.
We're forgetting we don't have Cirio or Goodwin to cross it in

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Last year we needed our striker to start scoring, this year we need our wingers to hit a decent cross.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Sydney have the least inspiring cheersquad ever.

I've only been home from the Victory game for 25 minutes or so - the 2nd half had just started.

Has the whole game been this dull and uninspiring? What's going on? I know Arnie is a defence-first coach, but Sydney have been entertaining to watch most of this season; and say what you will about Adelaide's early season form, but you couldn't say their games have been boring.

I think there seem to be a few more people at tonight's game than Sydney typically gets, which is good. But it still looks s**t in this stadium. I know Sydney is a different market with issues around public transport (for SFS and for other stadiums that you might consider using) - but for a team that is flying this season, you'd hope that they'd be attracting back a few more of those that were interested enough to come out and see Del Pierro.

I've previously been critical of confining people to half the stadium for the purposes of tv, but I think there'd be a lot of merit to it here at the SFS, cos a crowd of 14k (just my guess of tonights attendance from tv pictures) just looks s**t.

I hope this shitty game and shitty atmosphere doesn't stop the band-wagoners who've just started jumping on from coming back.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Take a draw there.

Season starts next week.

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Liverpool, Cavaliers
I said last week I wouldn't be surprised if we got a result tonight because Sydney definitely have one eye on the FFA Cup.

Must win next week. It really is. Three points is only acceptable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back