A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.soccerscene.com.au/west...llenge-we-have-in-our-game-is-infrastructure/

Western United CEO Chris Pehlivanis: “The biggest challenge we have in our game is infrastructure”

The nerve of this guy to even mention this in the interview. Also an absolute puff piece, follow up question should have been "So when can we expect works to begin on the Tarneit stadium"?

I absolutely hate that this club was given the go ahead on obvious false promises over other locations.
Pretty much confirmed that they will play the majority of games at aami Park, and won't be playing in Geelong. I know covid didn't help with capacities allowed but I'm sure there are other stadiums that could be used, even if the cap is 5k. Either way it's not a good read.

Based on me googling things I think WU could easily use.
Knights Stadium (15k)
Green Gully (10k)
ABD (5K)
Elcho Park in Geelong (5k)

Pretty much confirmed that they will play the majority of games at aami Park, and won't be playing in Geelong. I know covid didn't help with capacities allowed but I'm sure there are other stadiums that could be used, even if the cap is 5k. Either way it's not a good read.

Based on me googling things I think WU could easily use.
Knights Stadium (15k)
Green Gully (10k)
ABD (5K)
Elcho Park in Geelong (5k)
Knights Stadium is a no brainer so can only assume that the Knights don't want them there. Would probably need some upgrades (lights, TV etc) as well to be honest so WU probably not willing to pay for them.

This may need a thread of its own, but here is the best place for it (atleast for now)

Hard to imagine a story that could be bigger in women's football. A run of the mill sacking, albeit a week before the Olympics, wouldn't cut it, and it wouldn't have to be so heavily lawyered.

It's going to be shitty salacious one about relationships within the team.

What a time to release it too, to cause maximum damage (depending on what it is) just before the Olympics, surely you wait until after?

Hard to imagine a story that could be bigger in women's football. A run of the mill sacking, albeit a week before the Olympics, wouldn't cut it, and it wouldn't have to be so heavily lawyered.

It's going to be shitty salacious one about relationships within the team.
Probably to do with the previous coach being sacked under strange circumstances?

What a time to release it too, to cause maximum damage (depending on what it is) just before the Olympics, surely you wait until after?
The purpose of such an article would 100% be targeted towards damage and would of been aimed to be ready for the start of the Olympics.

The coach will have a couple of months to turn it around before the world cup.

I hope I am wrong but I think a senior coach or official has allegations toward there behaviour while in employment with a local federation, ais or ffa.

I know the fan he was chatting with and I assumed he was just telling him what he wants to hear. The fan is a complete and utter * stick and sometimes with people like that it is easier to just tell them what they want to hear to get them to piss off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it goes beyond the coach. Sounds like it's a wider problem right through the organization.
He said he wanted Fowler, and the ceo said poppa was a better option. So it sounds like the owner and the organisation aren't on the same page. Fowler being untested vs the success of poppa is an easy argument to win. Either way they would have had to have a second in command ready to dive in, with neither being long term propositions (which will be interesting to see what happens when poppa gets the next European change)

He said he wanted Fowler, and the ceo said poppa was a better option. So it sounds like the owner and the organisation aren't on the same page. Fowler being untested vs the success of poppa is an easy argument to win. Either way they would have had to have a second in command ready to dive in, with neither being long term propositions (which will be interesting to see what happens when poppa gets the next European change)
My comment was directed to the Matilda's brouhaha - but makes sense with the Perth stuff

Knights Stadium is a no brainer so can only assume that the Knights don't want them there. Would probably need some upgrades (lights, TV etc) as well to be honest so WU probably not willing to pay for them.

None would meet A-League standards by a distance.

Maybe WU can play out of Mavel who will need a summer tennant.

None would meet A-League standards by a distance.

Maybe WU can play out of Mavel who will need a summer tennant.
I would of thought those that have hosted ffa cup games would be up to scratch. There was suggestion last season that an npl ground was being looked at, but crowd restrictions meant it didn't work.

Wu look like they will be playing at aami, Ballarat and tassie this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would of thought those that have hosted ffa cup games would be up to scratch. There was suggestion last season that an npl ground was bring looked at, but crowd restrictions meant it didn't work.

Wu look like they will be playing at aami, Ballarat and tassie this season.

Stick WU at Marvel.

Stick WU at Marvel.

Why? It was crap when we where getting under 5k last season image How crap and embarrassing it would look with under 2k crowd every week? Plus they will not get the some sweat heart deal that Victory go back in the day under the current tenants/owners the AFL and Marvel have a summer tenant with the renegades.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back