A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Jake Brimmer winning the Johnny Warren Medal and Fiona Wort wining the Julie Dolan medal for 2021/22

List of all the A-League Awards from last nights Dolan Warren medal.

Full list of award winners:​

• Julie Dolan Medal: Fiona Worts (Adelaide United)
  • Johnny Warren Medal: Jake Brimmer (Melbourne Victory)
  • Women's Golden Boot: Fiona Worts
  • Men's Golden Boot: Jamie Maclaren (Melbourne City)
  • Women's Goalkeeper of the Year: Casey Dumont (Melbourne Victory)
  • Men's Goalkeeper of the Year: Mark Birighitti (Central Coast Mariners)
  • Women's Young Player of the Year: Holly McNamara (Melbourne City)
  • Men's Young Player of the Year: Angus Thurgate (Newcastle Jets)
  • Women's Goal of the Year: Rachel Lowe (Sydney FC)
  • Men's Goal of the Year: Ben Garuccio (Western United)
  • Women's Coach of the Year: Adrian Stenta (Adelaide United)
  • Men's Coach of the Year: Tony Popovic (Melbourne Victory)
  • Women's Referee of the Year: Lara Lee
  • Men's Referee of the Year: Alex King
  • Women's PFA Player of the Year: Sam Kerr (Chelsea FC)
  • Men's PFA Player of the Year: Tom Rogic (Celtic)
  • Women's PFA Young Player: Mary Fowler (Montpellier)
  • Men's PFA Young Player: Denis Genreau (Toulouse)

Last edited:

No chance we get it since we had it in 2015. It will be Japan or Korea.

We (sadly) can't afford to put other Asian Confederate neighbours off side if we tried to bid on this, in case we need their vote/support for any potential Men's World Cup bid.

We (sadly) can't afford to put other Asian Confederate neighbours off side if we tried to bid on this, in case we need their vote/support for any potential Men's World Cup bid.
I don't think it matters, and isn't a reason not to bid for the AFC cup.

If the AFC want the best tournament since 2015 they'd be smart to send it back down under

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know how likely it is if Korea or Japan want it, but I would love us to host the Asian Cup again, almost more than a World Cup. That 2015 Asian Cup was such a vibe, it was cheap, the visitors were all friendly and awesome (and a lot of Asian countries are well represented here already), it went to cities that a World Cup wouldnt go to.

MELBOURNE, June 21 (Reuters) - Australia is weighing up a bid to host the 2023 Asian Cup following China's decision to relinquish its rights to the tournament, Football Australia said on Tuesday.

China was to host the tournament in June and July next year but the country's resolve to maintain a zero-COVID policy has resulted in the 24-team event being moved.

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) invited bids for 2023 last month, saying interested parties must confirm by June 30.

"We are having discussions with the AFC and government in parallel as we determine the process and our interest," a Football Australia spokesperson said.

The Australian government declined to comment on whether it supported a bid.

"The decision to bid .... sits with Football Australia, as the relevant national sporting organisation," federal sports minister Anika Wells said in a statement.

South Korea confirmed on Monday that it will bid for 2023, while Japan said last month that it had been informally approached about making a bid.

Australia already has a busy 2023 planned as co-hosts of the Women's World Cup with New Zealand, which starts on July 20.

Australia hosted and won the Asian Cup in January 2015, with former coach Ange Postecoglou leading the Socceroos to their first title in the continental showpiece.

The country's interest may hinge upon the AFC's willingness to shift the tournament away from the mid-year slot planned for China, given the potential clash with the Women's World Cup and the high demand for stadia from rival sports during Australia's winter.

Four part articles about where the game is heading:

6bdc826c-0256-43ec-b49d-dbe12974f7e2_aus-development-challenge.jpg

The most important thing is bringing back cheap and accessible elite level junior football.

Right now unless a kid is basically a superstar who gets a scholarship parents of kids are having to pay 2-3k in fees for top level juniors. And it's just too much, with too many talented kids falling through the cracks.

We need a system where parents pay only a nominal fee and the clubs receive compo as kids move up the football pyramid. That's the European system.

This has been known for months, but I haven't seen it reported anywhere else really. Aus media is disgraceful. Are they still crapping on about Ginnivan ducking?

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has received Expressions of Interest (EoI) from four AFC Member Associations (MAs) to host the AFC Asian Cup 2023™ final competition.

· Football Australia
· Football Association of Indonesia
· Korea Football Association
· Qatar Football Association

Following which, an overall evaluation of the bids will be undertaken by the AFC Administration prior to the selection and announcement of the host for the 24-team competition by the AFC Executive Committee on October 17, 2022.

Meanwhile, Football Australia has shown interest in hosting the next Asian Cup, but only if the tournament is shifted to February 2024.

The tournament was to be staged in China in June-July next year, but the Chinese Football Association pulled out of hosting the event due to the ongoing ramifications of Covid-19.

FA can’t host the tournament in the same period because Australia is a co-host of the 2023 Women’s World Cup, which starts next July.

“Our preference would be to host (the Asian Cup) in February 2024,” an FA spokesman said.

“We are liaising with governments at all levels to gage interest levels before contemplating a bid, as any events of this stature require significant government funding and support.

“Depending on the above, we may or may not be submitting a final bid to host.”

Bids are due at the end of August, with a decision on the new tournament hosts to be made in October.

9cb72f456a8bd2c47bfc4e055cbd3418

As a football fan, i personally can see what lucy zelic is on about. i get that footy is a loved sport, and its kinda cool and awesome and grouse to see them with a footy, but how about photo ops with a league players, or state clubs?

i wonder if they do the same in USA with nfl balls

9cb72f456a8bd2c47bfc4e055cbd3418

As a football fan, i personally can see what lucy zelic is on about. i get that footy is a loved sport, and its kinda cool and awesome and grouse to see them with a footy, but how about photo ops with a league players, or state clubs?

i wonder if they do the same in USA with nfl balls
Not NFL but Chelsea just last week..I think it's safe to assume they do the same with the other US Sports.

293458226_10160434843427259_9062875357395284091_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back