A-Leagues Men and Women 2021/22 Off Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's back!

A-League: Adelaide United has lured Reds legend Isaias back to the club

A-League and FFA Cup winner Isaias has returned to Adelaide United after a two-year spell in Qatar.

Adelaide United legend Isaias has returned to the Reds intent on helping the club secure more silverware.
The Barcelona-born veteran, who left Adelaide in 2019, is again a Red, having signed a three-year deal with South Australia’s A-League club.

The classy midfielder has spent the past two years playing in the Qatar Stars League for Al-Wakrah.

“My family and I are really, really happy to be coming back home to Adelaide,” Isaias said.

“I’m looking forward to arriving in South Australia and training with the boys and settling back into Australian life.

“Returning to Adelaide United was an easy decision after being in Qatar for two years because it is a special club and the most special club I have played at in my whole career.

“I have achieved many things wearing the red shirt in the past and I hope we can achieve many more over the next three seasons together.”

In his previous six-year stint with the Reds, Isaias won the A-League’s premiership-championship double-winning team in 2016 and was awarded the Joe Marston Medal for his man-of-the-match performance in the grand final.

The 34-year-old former Adelaide skipper also helped the Reds win two FFA Cups, was a recipient of the Aurelio Vidmar Club Champion award four times.

Reds coach Carl Veart said Isaias was the best player “Adelaide United’s seen”.

“Isaías is arguably one of the greatest players in the history of the A-League,” Veart said.

“We’re bringing back a player with an enormous amount of pedigree and class who has had a lot of success here at Adelaide both on a personal and collective level.

“The experience and leadership Isaías brings back to our squad is invaluable and we’re thrilled to have him coming back home.”

A naturalised Australian, Isaias joined two other experienced Spanish products – Javi Lopez and Juande, both 35 – in an Adelaide squad that also includes another 35-year-old in Danish defender Michael Jakobsen.

Once they arrive in Australia, Isaias and his family will spend two weeks in hotel quarantine in Brisbane before flying to Adelaide.

“We can say at that moment that we will be back home,” Isaias said.

I thought Grant had been pursuing international opportunities

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious wording in regards to the Glory and there use of the facilities. May need more context from those in the West.

Curious wording in regards to the Glory and there use of the facilities. May need more context from those in the West.

What sort of context?

What sort of context?
I'm not sure how the Glory will use the facility as it is stated as short term use and there is mention of previous dockers offices, is that for admin? And why are both under limited terms.

I'm not sure how the Glory will use the facility as it is stated as short term use and there is mention of previous dockers offices, is that for admin? And why are both under limited terms.

The old Dockers facilities are now the Freo Council offices although they have apparently been looking to lease the building out. It looks like Glory are going to be the new tenants- in the short term at least. South Freo train at night so only need those facilities 2 nights a week and only for another month at most. As for why they are both under limited terms, I would assume it will be while the Glory look for a more permanent base.

The only thing I can see being a problem is the shared use of admin facilities since Sowfs offices aren't that big to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The league doesn't have funds to do xyz"

Next minute "we're expanding the W-League" which loses $ hand over fist.

Only doing this due to the Womens World Cup in 2023. Probably more been Government funded like a lot of women sports have been lately. Will be interesting how sustainable it'll be once the World Cup is over.

Only doing this due to the Womens World Cup in 2023. Probably more been Government funded like a lot of women sports have been lately. Will be interesting how sustainable it'll be once the World Cup is over.
Yeah that'd be why they're doing it but the sooner league execs accept no one cares about the wleague the better off the aleague clubs will be

How much would it cost to run a wleague side for a season? Be a franchise player salary (or bloody close to, if not). Which would be more beneficial to the code overall you think?

Yeah that'd be why they're doing it but the sooner league execs accept no one cares about the wleague the better off the aleague clubs will be

How much would it cost to run a wleague side for a season? Be a franchise player salary (or bloody close to, if not). Which would be more beneficial to the code overall you think?

We still need a national Women's league competition. Women's sports is fierce atm Football/soccer shouldn't be left behind and hopefully the APL recognises this. But your right in a way, more should be done on the development level making sure girls choose to stay on the football pathways rather than being seduced by AFL dollars or basketball, cricket etc..

Last edited:

It's go time, mid November. Could be done carnage if borders aren't open (spoiler alert - they won't be).

Western United adding a 7th home ground by playing 2 games at Lakeside stadium 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back