A-League A-Leagues Men and Women 2022/23 Off Season Thread

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Brandon O'Neill situation is exactly why we need transfer fees between clubs. Means Glory could actually be compensated for losing their captain... Would also put a stop to most of these 1 year contracts floating around so would make for more job security for players.

Not sure if this is the best place. Obviously been suggestion that he was buying Adelaide,but I've heard nothing in a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the calendar for next season with Qatar 22 on?

If I were organising it I would go for Round 1 being the same weekend as NRL / AFL Grand Finals. Have Western United playing a home game on Sunday in Melbourne & Macarthur SW playing a home game in Sydney on Saturday prior to the NRL GF on Sunday.

Then have a 3 week break for the World Cup group stages / Round of 16. Continue the A League after 3 weeks hopefully capitalising on a decent Socceroos performance in the group stages and general interest in the game generated by the later knockout rounds of the World Cup. League continues as normal with finals in late April / GF early May.

What is the calendar for next season with Qatar 22 on?

If I were organising it I would go for Round 1 being the same weekend as NRL / AFL Grand Finals. Have Western United playing a home game on Sunday in Melbourne & Macarthur SW playing a home game in Sydney on Saturday prior to the NRL GF on Sunday.

Then have a 3 week break for the World Cup group stages / Round of 16. Continue the A League after 3 weeks hopefully capitalising on a decent Socceroos performance in the group stages and general interest in the game generated by the later knockout rounds of the World Cup. League continues as normal with finals in late April / GF early May.

I think the League will start as usual like before COVID in early October, I for one think there shouldn't be any breaks for the A-League during the World Cup, It would be nice to carry the World Cup momentum into the A-League. Maybe just a couple of split rounds in the early group stages of the Tournament.

Last edited:
I think the League will start as usual like before COVID in early October, I for one think there shouldn't be any breaks for the A-League during the World Cup, It would be nice to carry the World Cup momentum into the A-League. Maybe just a couple of split rounds in the early group stages of the Tournament.

I think a break for the group stages at least to focus on the Socceroos matches. Plus there will probably be half a dozen A League players in the squad.

I'd start mid September, like Prelim final weekend with games on Saturday night and Sunday. GF week would be Friday night and Sunday. Week after Friday night and Saturday. Captilalise on the days where there is no AFL/NRL finals.

WC is a tricky one. It's a 6 week window if you factor in training camps etc. Are you breaking due to losing players? Or to give the WC clean air?

If it's player impact you'd need to pause the league for training camps plus at least the group phase.

I'd start mid September, like Prelim final weekend with games on Saturday night and Sunday. GF week would be Friday night and Sunday. Week after Friday night and Saturday. Captilalise on the days where there is no AFL/NRL finals.

WC is a tricky one. It's a 6 week window if you factor in training camps etc. Are you breaking due to losing players? Or to give the WC clean air?

If it's player impact you'd need to pause the league for training camps plus at least the group phase.

That makes sense. So pause for the 2 weeks lead up and 2 weeks to allow for group games and players to return home.

Arnie wants the A-League to start in September so he can see the players and get some games into them.

If there aren't too many A-League players selected in the WC squad, I wouldn't mind seeing the league continue non-stop. I think the WC vibe would get a few more heading to the local matches while it's on. If a particular club has too many players selected, maybe that club can sit out for a while.

What would the threshold be for losing players before pausing matches, four? What have we done in the past?

Arnie wants the A-League to start in September so he can see the players and get some games into them.

If there aren't too many A-League players selected in the WC squad, I wouldn't mind seeing the league continue non-stop. I think the WC vibe would get a few more heading to the local matches while it's on. If a particular club has too many players selected, maybe that club can sit out for a while.

What would the threshold be for losing players before pausing matches, four? What have we done in the past?
It's normally been on during the off season.

The kerfuffle during the season with Melbourne City was that they went above an agreed threshold of 3 players, and by calling up Curtis Good they could have had the game postponed.

If you want teams to play through I think that's ok, I'd go 4 games over 6 weeks.

We also have 9pm nightly kickoffs through the first 2 group phase games, so I'd minimise the games clashing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back