A letter I sent to the AFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

I have just sent this letter off to the AFL ...

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to you about the Chris Grant insurance policy sager. Obviously this is one of the biggest cases in the world of football to date, and Bulldogs supporters like me are hanging by their fingertips as the anxious wait continues to see if the AFL will find some way to insure the Bulldog captain.
I am a very keen 15-year-old Bulldogs supporter, and the past 3 weeks has been a hectic time for me, and no doubt every other Bulldog supporter. The first thing that goes into our head is ‘There goes our shot at glory’. But there is no doubt the Bulldogs have a lot of young rising future superstars of the AFL, but not having Chris apart of the Bulldogs is painful. Over the years I have seen Chris throw in some super-human efforts to get his beloved Bulldogs over the line when it counts most, and 95% of the time he has raised to the occasion. I have seen him there at the start of his career in 1990, and seen him be apart of 3 preliminary final sides: 92, 97 & 98. I have seen him wear the numbers 29 and 3, and Chris hasn’t changed abit except for maybe his skill level and strength. At the age of 27, 28 and 29 you usually play your best football, and Chris being 29 may come close to a Brownlow if he plays in the 2002 season.
I find it very harsh that you can’t somehow forge out money to insure the Bulldog champion. Chris has unfinished business and has a strong passion for football. Chris is a marking player, and very rarely ducks down to pick the ball up, leaving it to the crummers. So the odds of him getting a neck injury aren’t as high as a midfielder. Some questions have to be raised. I have been waiting for this drama to finish, but I finally thought enough was enough, and that’s why this letter was sent to you.
Don’t you think the Bulldogs have been through enough? Cant you see how much Chris has done for the Western Bulldogs football club? Obviously not. It is bad for the AFL for these things to happen. Chris only had one aim at the end of 2000. That was to finish his career with the Western Bulldogs. Time and time again Chris has knocked back big cash deals to stay with the Bulldogs, but the AFL couldn’t give a rat’s ass and treats the 29 year old like dinner scraps. This is an extremely serious matter, and has to be delt with fairly. And by fairly I mean let Chris play on. But for that to happen he needs to be insured. You may think Chris is a high risk, but what do you think it will do to not only Chris and the western bulldogs football club, but also the supporters and the AFL in general?
Chris has been one of the best CHF at the Bulldogs ever. He has currently played 252 games, and only 78 games shy of being the club record holder. Chris has 4 years left in him, and 22 games a year, or even 20 games a year will see him become the clubs record holder, how can you take this away from him? I would love to see Chris play in 2002, and cant wait for the season to start. I have been saying since the middle of 2001 that 2002 will be the best season ever in the history of the league. With 3 channels hosting the football, more football will be seen.
I have saved the best point to last in my opinion. Why run an AFL if you’re not going to let players like Chris play or be insured? What if every player in the league had his problem? Then there would be no AFL. To stop this from happening the AFL have to do something about it. I will leave it up to you, but I’m letting you know without Grant playing in season 2002 the Bulldogs will lose members, and by losing members they will lose passion, and maybe even the Western Bulldogs Football club.
Please write back with your thoughts and opinion – Tristan Zerafa

Well done mate. Pretty good letter for a 15 year old...your teachers would be impressed ;)

I hope you get a response. A response which is at least something better than the generic reply that they send out to everyone.

Congratulations on a wonderful letter Tristan. You obviously write from the heart and I hope for your sake and all Bulldogs supporters, that the AFL can extract the digit and settle this business ASAP so that we can see Chris back on the field.

Larry6
:cool: :cool: :cool:
One of the 3 Stooges

Don't hold your breath for any sensible reply.

I sent this email:

This is a formal complaint about your new site (and the associated club
sites).

It is one thing thing to strip out so many features of the old site and
make them unavailable except to subscribers, and to present this as new
features for subscribers, such as live audio and the latest news. I'm
sure any AFL supporters serving in East Timor will really appreciate
that they can no longer get live streaming from the ABC.

It is another not to be upfront about it.

A gutless effort - I would have more respect if you were upfront and
honest and about it and made it very clear what you have done.

It is also pretty rude to include streaming video to lure subscribers
knowing that it is basically unworkable to the majority of your audience
who use telephone lines and 56k modems.

And if you seriously hope that anyone in Sydney actually believes that
your new broadcast agreement enhances coverage here - just check out the
TV guides for the past 3 weeks for the Wizard Cup. I also understand
that 2 out of 3 of the Channel Nine games during the season proper will
be broadcast at between 11.00 pm and 11.30 pm on Friday and Sunday
nights.

I can only hope that many more AFL fans begin to wake up to what you
have done. And boycott your site and Telstra products.

And the reply:

Thank you for your comments of 3rd March regarding the AFL Website.

We appreciate the time taken to provide this feedback. We will
endeavour to utilise this information in further AFL website
developments.

Please do not hesitate to contact us via www.afl.com.au if you require
further information or assistance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back