A Letter to Brendon & Peggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Too much poor me , what if I said hawthorn and bris lost a lot of IP toward the end of their dynasty too, it’s a pattern at successful clubs and you can’t fight people departing for advancement , the noise you added to underline your point is largely irrelevant, lynch , vlastuin and grimes who’s cases where thrown out gimme a break ffs , what next
The only piece I agree is the dimma boilover in pressers, I don’t believe it’s affected the team however it’s a poor reflection on the club and he should be more professional
The most critical decisions are list management ones as that what’s delayed the imminent return of those clubs
100% I mean Hardwick himself was recruited directly out of hawthorns dynasty
It’s how the industry works, we targeted Caracalla and Balme because of what they achieved at the cats

Clubs are always looking for the best people unless they are the sr coach chances are they won’t stay long term because assistants are always trying to add to their resume so they can get their own shot at some point like McRae now has with Collingwood

We are also in an unprecedented time for the industry due to covid, jobs have been cut we have less in the media and marketing department

But the club still has some pretty good ways of interacting with fans like the talking tigers podcast
It’s a great listen once a week and found it a great way to feel connected to the club

Club is also a lot bigger than it was 20 years ago we have 100,000 paid up members it’s basically impossible to keep engaged with everyone

Last edited:
100% I mean Hardwick himself was recruited directly out of hawthorns dynasty
It’s how the industry works, we targeted Caracalla and Balme because of what they achieved at the cats

Clubs are always looking for the best people unless they are the sr coach chances are they won’t stay long term because assistants are always trying to add to their resume so they can get their own shot at some point like McRae now has with Collingwood

We are also in an unprecedented time for the industry due to covid, jobs have been cut we have less in the media and marketing department

But the club still has some pretty good ways of interacting with fans like the talking tigers podcast
It’s a great listen once a week and found it a great way to feel connected to the club

Club is also a lot bigger than it was 20 years ago we have 100,000 paid up members it’s basically impossible to keep engaged with everyone
Hawthorn have lost stacks of people on and off field roles , bris from their dynasty have several in afl coaching ranks. Curiosly, the cats would appear to have been more stable , I could be wrong . My big hope is that we retain our assets in recruiting and list management as that’s the cornerstone to the next tilt. Asst coaches is always a moving target with much movement every year , retention made harder with soft cap cut , but I back the club to put talent back on the books retaining likes of Balmey will help that process

Hawthorn have lost stacks of people on and off field roles , bris from their dynasty have several in afl coaching ranks. Curiosly, the cats would appear to have been more stable , I could be wrong . My big hope is that we retain our assets in recruiting and list management as that’s the cornerstone to the next tilt. Asst coaches is always a moving target with much movement every year , retention made harder with soft cap cut , but I back the club to put talent back on the books retaining likes of Balmey will help that process
I agree
We need to accept that we will lose people it’s about identifying the key players that we can’t easily replace

Assistants will always rotate through like the do every club but other key football department staff are a lot harder to find

These guys are the ones that we can’t afford to lose without an absolute top shelf replacement
Blair Hartley
Tim Livingstone
Mathew Clarke
Balme

Too much poor me , what if I said hawthorn and bris lost a lot of IP toward the end of their dynasty too, it’s a pattern at successful clubs and you can’t fight people departing for advancement , the noise you added to underline your point is largely irrelevant, lynch , vlastuin and grimes who’s cases where thrown out gimme a break ffs , what next
The only piece I agree is the dimma boilover in pressers, I don’t believe it’s affected the team however it’s a poor reflection on the club and he should be more professional
The most critical decisions are list management ones as that what’s delayed the imminent return of those clubs

Pretty bad examples IMO.

Brisbane fell to rock bottom, won a spoon and bounced back 15 years later.

Hawthorn... well, look at their last few years, horrible.

Our leadership should be identifying the faults of previous dynasties and try to keep us competitive consistently.

I mean, I aint willing to write off 15 more years and settle for anything. I want us to always be a threat, always competitive and I want our new supporters, the ones we've inherited, to always know Richmond are a chance to win a flag.

Because from when I was 5 - in 1995 until 2017, September 30th - I never ever thought we were ever a chance.

The digital team got absolutely decimated DW. I know the ex-Head of Digital quite well, and it was one of the first teams to get cut due to Covid. We've gone backwards ever since, as you say.
That makes absolutely no sense that in an environment that players cant be face to face with fans that we cut the team that could link them together.

That's pretty nasty.
What if she wasn't there and went up there late, quarantined in Darwin, and joined him at the end of the season?
She was up there working for the club in the hub. I remember Peggy and Benny putting a strong emphasis on the fact that HR investigated the goings on to check it was all honky Dory.

Those currently in power have earned my faith in their ability to guide us through this next phase. Leagues best leadership team by some margin in my opinion.

On the financial points raised in the OP, I really hope to see the club flex our financial muscle in the next year or two and bring in the best support staff available, soft cap be damned. Pay the tax, be the best.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it certainly can be destroyed in one.
Edward Gibbon’s The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, the single work that defines what today is thought of as that decline and fall, starts with the reign of Commodus (sole emperor 180 CE - 192 CE). The western Empire fell in 476 CE, 296 years after Commodus. The eastern Empire permanently fell in 1453 CE, or 1,273 years later. In both cases the years of decline were much longer than the years of prosperity.

I agree
We need to accept that we will lose people it’s about identifying the key players that we can’t easily replace

Assistants will always rotate through like the do every club but other key football department staff are a lot harder to find

These guys are the ones that we can’t afford to lose without an absolute top shelf replacement
Blair Hartley
Tim Livingstone
Mathew Clarke
Balme
Blair Hartley being targeted by 3 clubs

I agree

Blair Hartley
Tim Livingstone
Mathew Clarke
Balme
Yep add dimma and chief /Peggy and they’re your most important pieces . The STRENGTH of quality leadership is that they recognise qty talent when it comes to recruiting staff. We re at an important junction with our leadership in place I back them to make the critical decisions

Edward Gibbon’s The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, the single work that defines what today is thought of as that decline and fall, starts with the reign of Commodus (sole emperor 180 CE - 192 CE). The western Empire fell in 476 CE, 296 years after Commodus. The eastern Empire permanently fell in 1453 CE, or 1,273 years later. In both cases the years of decline were much longer than the years of prosperity.
I do admire a fully qualified response , well done sir/madam . Say what was their list management like 😁

Pretty bad examples IMO.

Our leadership should be identifying the faults of previous dynasties and try to keep us competitive consistently.

I mean, I aint willing to write off 15 more years and settle for anything. I want us to always be a threat, always competitive and I want our new supporters, the ones we've inherited, to always know Richmond are a chance to win a flag.

Because from when I was 5 - in 1995 until 2017, September 30th - I never ever thought we were ever a chance.
So do I , as I mentioned we still have qty leadership in place which is the first step in securing incoming talent. No reason to panic because our people are being poached as mentioned it’s a sign of a successful organisation. The current environment with soft cap reduction hasn’t made the position any easier as it’s a significant cut to what was previous , ~3mn less . So after coach and senior asst , my guess would be the rest are on a pretty flat rate , leaving them way open to attractive offers if it means advancement

Dude, they had to quarantine in order to be allowed in the hub as they were classed as non-essential to the club anyway lol

Obviously.
You miss my point. Reports deny your “fact” she was in the hub during the season. I’ve posted this now where’s your evidence?

Pretty bad examples IMO.

I dont really know what you expect - we've won 3 of the past 4 premierships, missed finals one year after a horrible run with on-field injuries, a soft cap penalty which prevented us either keeping or hiring additional valuable coaching staff, and a massively reduced pre-season. We have the best draft hand we've had since we drafted Vlaustin in 2012. What more can you ask for? I would see we have learned where others failed. But to think you have to be in the hunt every single year is absolute naive.

That's pretty nasty.
What if she wasn't there and went up there late, quarantined in Darwin, and joined him at the end of the season?
This was always my understanding and quite frankly don’t really care either way. Doesn’t affect my life 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back