Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
There seems to be an inordinate amount of teeth gnashing on this board with the direction that GFC are heading. Apparently our entire football department is staffed by incompetent boobs, our coach would struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time, our president and CEO would be better suited running a neighbourhood lemonade stand and our playing list is full of club-footed mental short people.

However, could you imagine the angst on this board if our club had sabotaged our present and mortgaged 2 years of the draft to recruit an unproven 23 year old with the knees of a 45 year old mogul skier and a 24 year old accumulator with a 35:65 kick to handball ratio. To make it even worse, imagine if we had told the top 2 finishers in our B&F that they were no longer required to top it all off.

It would be pitchforks and torches for all.

Perhaps we all need a bit of perspective and appreciate how unprecedented it is that we are still contending after 10 years. Just my 2cents. As you were....

Well said. 100% agree. Good to see a voice of reason after the past two weeks. Will come out and smash the bombers on the weekend and away we go. Every club has a minor hiccup throughout the course of a season. We've had ours now and should comfortably finish top 4 and have another crack at the flag. Easy to become negative after two poor performances but I think we need to appreciate just how even the comp is and it only takes being 5% off and you'll get rolled, especially early in the season. Let's not get to disheartened and keep backing the boys to get the job done from here.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of teeth gnashing on this board with the direction that GFC are heading. Apparently our entire football department is staffed by incompetent boobs, our coach would struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time, our president and CEO would be better suited running a neighbourhood lemonade stand and our playing list is full of club-footed mental short people.

I've never seen him actually do it... ;)

Nope - lets keep bitching. That way we can turn every thread into discussions on the exact same topic, regardless of what the thread title says or what the OP is about. And by page 5 or 6 you have to stop and think about what the original idea was because everything just starts to read the same...

;) :D

However, could you imagine the angst on this board if our club had sabotaged our present and mortgaged 2 years of the draft to recruit an unproven 23 year old with the knees of a 45 year old mogul skier and a 24 year old accumulator with a 35:65 kick to handball ratio. To make it even worse, imagine if we had told the top 2 finishers in our B&F that they were no longer required to top it all off.

Perhaps we all need a bit of perspective and appreciate how unprecedented it is that we are still contending after 10 years. Just my 2cents. As you were....
Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in an echo chamber.....
IMG_1387.JPG

Nice thread, won't end well though.
Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in an echo chamber.....
View attachment 368053
Nice contribution. :thumbsu:

The board is made up of 3 distinct groups, the optimists, the pessimists and the neutrals.

The optimists and the pessimists dont change their opinions very much.

After 2 bad losses the neutrals are swayed heavily towards the pessimist side and the optimists are quiet.

A loss to the bombers and it'll get way worse.

Perhaps you can report that one too...
Have not reported one post of yours. There will be positivity on here. Deal with it.
Plenty of pessimism and blood letting in the Scott thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The board is made up of 3 distinct groups, the optimists, the pessimists and the neutrals.

After 2 bad losses the neutrals are swayed heavily towards the pessimist side and the optimists are quiet.

I'd put myself in the pessimists group, but I'd love to be wrong. Not sure the overall quality of the side is good enough, and I'm starting to suspect more than a few players look wonderful against moderate opposition, but fall apart under serious pressure.

Win or loss against Essendon, I'd love for my view to be incorrect.

I'd put myself in the pessimists group, but I'd love to be wrong. Not sure the overall quality of the side is good enough, and I'm starting to suspect more than a few players look wonderful against moderate opposition, but fall apart under serious pressure.

I think on the outside I am a pessimist, yet on the inside I am an optimist.

As such, when we lose I put on a brave but inside I am am crying.

Being a Tottenham and Geelong fan, I am a born pessimist. But, with what Geelong has done over the last 10 years, it's hard to not be optimistic which probably distorts reality for me.

The way I look at things right now is this:

There are a few givens in the Cats side each week (assuming players are fit), and those givens are that Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins, usually Menzel, Duncan, Thuoy, Henderson and when he's there, Menegola, will all play to a level that earns a pass mark. Mackie too probably.

Another given is that at least 3 of those players (the obvious 3) are elite, and another few are either debatably in that group or very close to it.

We have a group of about a dozen players that are no guarantees to get a pass every week. And their talent level, outside of maybe Motlop and Cockatoo (who is getting better each week) means that they need to be earning that 'tick' every single week.

Now to be a team that becomes a grand final quality side, there are two ways to move from our current spot.

Get a couple more players to that elite level and get them earning a pass every week and cross our fingers that the lower level will do enough to support them.

Or keep things the same at the top end, and get 6-8 players at the bottom end to all a) lift their 'ceiling' or b) produce that pass mark of their own pretty much every week.

Now regardless of what people think about how we arrived at this position, we are at it. I think if you apply any common sense to an appraisal of our side, you should be able to understand that from a coaching and playing perspective, neither of those ways forward (turning a few players into elite stars/turning many players into competent b and c graders) are particularly easy to achieve, so we just have to accept that there will be s**t performances from time to time.

That probably makes no sense - I'm trying to write this while walking my kids home from school. But I know what I'm trying to say.

Never imagined I would ever hear you describe yourself as anything other than a realist, Parts.

Although I imagine you would counter now by saying that the only 'realistic' course from here is pessimism.

For me, I would agree that the overall quality of the list is not great. And the depth is very questionable when you consider the names being thrown up to replace all the serious under-performers from Saturday night's mauling. And the team does seem very fragile under extreme pressure.

But the overall competition doesn't appear that strong to me this year. So I think there is still grounds for some positivity if we can tidy up the defensive efforts and see a return to better output from our upper and mid-tier players.

And, in some ways, I believe you can totally understand how we get so much 'space' between the so-called optimists and pessimists around here.

After all, I don't think any team has a more profound gap between their best and their worst than our boys.

Let's face it, Longfellow's 'Girl with the curl' has nothing on this most recent incarnation of the GFC.

I think on the outside I am a pessimist, yet on the inside I am an optimist.

As such, when we lose I put on a brave but inside I am am crying.

Being a Tottenham and Geelong fan, I am a born pessimist. But, with what Geelong has done over the last 10 years, it's hard to not be optimistic which probably distorts reality for me.
The tide is turning, slowly turning the attitudes of fellow yiddos. Don't make me turn you on this club too :p

Not sure what category I would belong in. Part of me is proud as punch of how we have transitioned out a large amount of club legends while still remaining highly competitive in an environment where we aren't supposed to.We have decent records against good sides which also gives me hope.

The other part of me has major reservations about our development of players and whether we are actually improving anybody. One could say that Duncan has been the only 20-25 yr old player who we have developed into a quality consistent player in recent times. Others have stagnated, others are wildly inconsistent, and others actually seem to have gone backwards. Our best players (Selwood and Hawkins aside) have been recruits who were developed at other clubs.

So I guess you could call me an optimistic neutral with a pessimistic edge.

Last edited:

No such thing as a neutral on bigfooty , we are all either a pessimists or optimists to some degree .

People who call themselves neutrals are usually pessimists who don't like to admit it .

Don't you think its a bit stupid to reach the conclusion that we are doomed after being 5 wins and 2 losses ?

Geelongs had a great run - im certainly not complaining - and i think the club has done a great job recruiting to stay competitive - Tuohy Henderson - and Parfitt basically for Caddy ( i think the Cats will be big winners their )

My only beef - and it is all relative to what they get paid ( ignoring the pride factor ) . If your getting 25k a game - i think you have to bring effort and energy every week

In the real world no matter what job youve got - if you dont bring effort and energy you will get the aarse

You are definitely in the pessimists group.

I think we just lack depth, early in the year with a full squad against weak/inexperienced sides we did alright.

Once we start getting injuries we will fall away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back