Opinion A little perspective please....

Remove this Banner Ad

The board is made up of 3 distinct groups, the optimists, the pessimists and the neutrals.

The optimists and the pessimists dont change their opinions very much.

After 2 bad losses the neutrals are swayed heavily towards the pessimist side and the optimists are quiet.

A loss to the bombers and it'll get way worse.
What about the realists?

The board is made up of 3 distinct groups, the optimists, the pessimists and the neutrals.

The optimists and the pessimists dont change their opinions very much.

After 2 bad losses the neutrals are swayed heavily towards the pessimist side and the optimists are quiet.

A loss to the bombers and it'll get way worse.

I've got another 3 groups in mind and the perfect speech to top it off.

I don't think I'm an optimist or a pessimist, I just call things good if I think they're good or bad if I think theyre bad. Don't care if I'm right or wrong cause there just mainly uneducated opinions.
I'm preety happy with this year. Parfitt getting injured has dampened it quite a lot though.
Im not that fussed if we're winning or losing as long as we're trying to develop young players.
Encouraged that we're playing Cockatoo, Lang, Parsons, Bews and also Parfitt before his injury.
Also Duncan stepping up and Menzel hitting IMO A grade status are real positives.
I do get preety damn frustrated though when we don't seem to learn from our mistakes and from the outside it can appear that we've done nothing to rectify them.
Thought this year looked different but some things are starting to look the same, eg.Refusing to drop Motlop, forgetting Murdoch can't play, in a bit of denial about Blitz's importance, + our defence is still too tall and slow.
Still though more positive than negatives just like around 70% of all the years I've watched the club.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of teeth gnashing on this board with the direction that GFC are heading. Apparently our entire football department is staffed by incompetent boobs, our coach would struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time, our president and CEO would be better suited running a neighbourhood lemonade stand and our playing list is full of club-footed mental short people.

However, could you imagine the angst on this board if our club had sabotaged our present and mortgaged 2 years of the draft to recruit an unproven 23 year old with the knees of a 45 year old mogul skier and a 24 year old accumulator with a 35:65 kick to handball ratio. To make it even worse, imagine if we had told the top 2 finishers in our B&F that they were no longer required to top it all off.

It would be pitchforks and torches for all.

Perhaps we all need a bit of perspective and appreciate how unprecedented it is that we are still contending after 10 years. Just my 2cents. As you were....

Quoted so that people remember what this thread is about. Not whether or not you or someone else considers themselves pessimists or optimists.

2 weeks ago we were patting ourselves on the back and marvelling at our depth, and some where even taking off THE LID! Now we've got poor depth and suddenly the quality of entire list is in question?

Guys we're in third. Lets see what the club can do from here. If we go on a 5 game losing streak against sides who are contending then clearly we don't have it. I personally don't think that will happen. But who knows. We might have played poorly on the weekend, but I don't think Gold Coast are as weak as everyone on here imagines. Their big men killed us. That will happen when you lose your best tall defender and you allow the opposition to cut you up through the middle. The fact we played as badly as we did and weren't embarrassed like Adelaide or Hawthorn is a positive thing. Menegola has shown that he simply must play. Not everything that happened yesterday was bad. There were very promising passages of play at times. Unfortunately they didn't occur often enough and their forwards made us pay.

Will come out and smash the bombers on the weekend and away we go.
And if we don't we'll have another one of. these threads telling people everything will be alright, and we'll lose the next game against a lesser fancied team, and you get it, you get it, you totally get it.

I really did not enjoy watching the last 2 matches and sulk a fair bit after a loss. Looked at the ladder today to see we are still well placed to challenge for a top 4. How good is that as a supporter!
Next weekend poses another challenge and would like to think we will bounce back and get a win.
After that we have a huge game at home vs the reigning premiers and a few tough matches to follow, can't wait for those matches.
I love footy and love the GFC. What makes it even better is i support a team that is in contention, plays some entertaining albeit frustrating footy and every week brings different stories and highs and lows.
Look forward to seeing how our team adapts and evolves for the rest of the season.

Go cats!!

I really did not enjoy watching the last 2 matches and sulk a fair bit after a loss. Looked at the ladder today to see we are still well placed to challenge for a top 4. How good is that as a supporter!
Next weekend poses another challenge and would like to think we will bounce back and get a win.
After that we have a huge game at home vs the reigning premiers and a few tough matches to follow, can't wait for those matches.
I love footy and love the GFC. What makes it even better is i support a team that is in contention, plays some entertaining albeit frustrating footy and every week brings different stories and highs and lows.
Look forward to seeing how our team adapts and evolves for the rest of the season.

Go cats!!

Watching them for decades, despairing they'd never win a premiership in my lifetime, has given me a calmness and ability to assess outcomes fairly rationally - I think! - and look forward to how the club evolves without becoming an emotional wreck.

Those who have followed the club in recent years, and therefore enjoyed much more success in a condensed timeframe, might not be so equipped though.

I think another thing that is worth remembering is that as frustrating as our defeats can be, how many times over the last decade have we lost a match where we have just been outclassed from the start? Not many. The Sydney thrashing, a couple against the Pies, last year's prelim, one or two others and that's about it.

Even at our worst, which we have been for periods of the last fortnight, we've still been well in contention midway through the last quarter.

I don't think I'm an optimist or a pessimist, I just call things good if I think they're good or bad if I think theyre bad. Don't care if I'm right or wrong cause there just mainly uneducated opinions.
I'm preety happy with this year. Parfitt getting injured has dampened it quite a lot though.
Im not that fussed if we're winning or losing as long as we're trying to develop young players.
Encouraged that we're playing Cockatoo, Lang, Parsons, Bews and also Parfitt before his injury.
Also Duncan stepping up and Menzel hitting IMO A grade status are real positives.
I do get preety damn frustrated though when we don't seem to learn from our mistakes and from the outside it can appear that we've done nothing to rectify them.
Thought this year looked different but some things are starting to look the same, eg.Refusing to drop Motlop, forgetting Murdoch can't play, in a bit of denial about Blitz's importance, + our defence is still too tall and slow.
Still though more positive than negatives just like around 70% of all the years I've watched the club.

A lot of what you say I agree with. I think now we do need to act as the evidence is mounting that Murdoch is not the answer . If Motlop goes out at the same time and Parfitt, Gregson and McCarthy are injured we are exposed for pace. Fortunately we have added Menegola to our group of players and he has desire and skill and consistency (but not outright pace).

Just thinking it through:
Bews would need to play higher (Wing) if Murdoch goes. Guthrie plays further back.
Parsons has to stay if Motlop goes.
Cockatoo has to play higher (wing).
Then I wonder who plays half forward. I would have to say Stewart or Ruggles would have to come back in there. Play like Rooke (both are fierce tacklers but Stewart a better kick and more creative).
That leaves Blicavs. If he is to go then we only have Smith to come in with Stanley to play more forward. Then the knock on is Taylor back and Lonergan out. The final move with the fit players we have is to bring in another mid. Ruggles or underdone SSelwood or a not quite ready Cunico ( and Parsons is already in) ?

In summary OUT: Motlop, Blicavs, Murdoch, Lonergan,
................. IN : Stewart (half forward) Henderson, SSelwood and ...................? this can't be done. Not having McCarthy or Gregson or Parfitt hurts.

In reality I think OUT: Murdoch Lonergan
......................... IN : Henderson , Stewart

If we really want to upturn the cart Biltz out for Smith. Hope that Stanley gets on his bike up forward.

My optimism has taken a bit of a kick in the gonads again. But I am happy we are 5/2 ( not where the AFL would like us to be).
We have played every game away so far and move toward a time when we play good sides at home. Thats the next test, and if we can see Parsons develop further, Parfitt regain fitness, Kolo, McCarthy and Gregson recover and another kid like Cunico or Gardner debuts then we will have more options.

I'll repeat the wisdom of Spazz : "Still though more positive than negatives just like around 70% of all the years I've watched the club". I could make that 85% quite easily.

And finally : I really love our game. This year of Australian Rules is shaping up as a cracker. Unpredictability the norm. Then add in the new force - women in footy. Embrace and enjoy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of what you say I agree with. I think now we do need to act as the evidence is mounting that Murdoch is not the answer . If Motlop goes out at the same time and Parfitt, Gregson and McCarthy are injured we are exposed for pace. Fortunately we have added Menegola to our group of players and he has desire and skill and consistency (but not outright pace).

Just thinking it through:
Bews would need to play higher (Wing) if Murdoch goes. Guthrie plays further back.
Parsons has to stay if Motlop goes.
Cockatoo has to play higher (wing).
Then I wonder who plays half forward. I would have to say Stewart or Ruggles would have to come back in there. Play like Rooke (both are fierce tacklers but Stewart a better kick and more creative).
That leaves Blicavs. If he is to go then we only have Smith to come in with Stanley to play more forward. Then the knock on is Taylor back and Lonergan out. The final move with the fit players we have is to bring in another mid. Ruggles or underdone SSelwood or a not quite ready Cunico ( and Parsons is already in) ?

In summary OUT: Motlop, Blicavs, Murdoch, Lonergan,
................. IN : Stewart (half forward) Henderson, SSelwood and ...................? this can't be done. Not having McCarthy or Gregson or Parfitt hurts.

In reality I think OUT: Murdoch Lonergan
......................... IN : Henderson , Stewart

If we really want to upturn the cart Biltz out for Smith. Hope that Stanley gets on his bike up forward.

My optimism has taken a bit of a kick in the gonads again. But I am happy we are 5/2 ( not where the AFL would like us to be).
We have played every game away so far and move toward a time when we play good sides at home. Thats the next test, and if we can see Parsons develop further, Parfitt regain fitness, Kolo, McCarthy and Gregson recover and another kid like Cunico or Gardner debuts then we will have more options.

I'll repeat the wisdom of Spazz : "Still though more positive than negatives just like around 70% of all the years I've watched the club". I could make that 85% quite easily.

And finally : I really love our game. This year of Australian Rules is shaping up as a cracker. Unpredictability the norm. Then add in the new force - women in footy. Embrace and enjoy.
It's hard with the injuries we have at the moment but yeah some of your ideas I would definitely like to see tried. Definitely not against Stewart as a high half forward. Kicked a few nice goals in the VFL from 50 out, Ive wanted to see Bews higher up the ground for ages, quick,agile, strong and a long kick. No real reason why he can't play up the ground really.
& a lot of people in here are absolutely gonna hate it but yeah Ruggles high half forward and a bit of mid time is something I wouldn't mind seeing. His decision making is suspect but he absolutely loves getting the ball in his hands and is not afraid to take responsibility.
If we know some things aren't working I'd get a lot of enjoyment of trying some new things with our newer players even if we lose a few games.
We might find a couple of those elusive extra quality players which we have needed for a while to go to another level.

I agree. Again. Watching new faces finding their best place in a VFL team and then transferring that to AFL is fascinating. Parsons V Hawks was very good. Hopefully he presses on (and is given the chance to do so by the MC). Maybe Cunico or Gardner can follow suit soon.
I was pleased to see Bews go well v GCS. He can do things others can only dream of. He is quick and at top pace few would match him, he also has a nice side step . If he was given the run and carry (wing) job, it could make him very dangerous. it would be heart in the mouth stuff but we need that type of player. Interesting to watch.

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in an echo chamber.....
View attachment 368053

We finished equal top last year and started this year 5-0 but apparently that's not enough for you and the rest of you negative muppets.

No. Idea.

I'd have hated to see what you were like when John Devine was coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
We finished equal top last year and started this year 5-0 but apparently that's not enough for you and the rest of you negative muppets.

No. Idea.

Here he is lol, calling people names and saying they have no idea.

Tell you who has no idea mate, you. Like round 2 or 3 pumping up Murdoch's tyres and even predicting he'd kick 4 goals, clueless would be an apt description.

No. Idea.

Thats pure gold:thumbsu:
Although, I much preferred your original post

Here he is lol, calling people names and saying they have no idea.

Tell you who has no idea mate, you. Like round 2 or 3 pumping up Murdoch's tyres and even predicting he'd kick 4 goals, clueless would be an apt description.

Don't hold back JH. ;)

Can you not do that? Please?
15 out of the last 17 games...
We couldn't beat time with a stick and a bucket of eggs.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of teeth gnashing on this board with the direction that GFC are heading. Apparently our entire football department is staffed by incompetent boobs, our coach would struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time, our president and CEO would be better suited running a neighbourhood lemonade stand and our playing list is full of club-footed mental short people.

However, could you imagine the angst on this board if our club had sabotaged our present and mortgaged 2 years of the draft to recruit an unproven 23 year old with the knees of a 45 year old mogul skier and a 24 year old accumulator with a 35:65 kick to handball ratio. To make it even worse, imagine if we had told the top 2 finishers in our B&F that they were no longer required to top it all off.

It would be pitchforks and torches for all.

Perhaps we all need a bit of perspective and appreciate how unprecedented it is that we are still contending after 10 years. Just my 2cents. As you were....
So your aspiration for the club is to simply not make the worst trade deal in the history of the game? Even Richmond supporters aspire to something better than that.

"Forget it Hinkley29. This is the Geelong bigfooty board."

6a00d8341c562c53ef01b7c7c9fd7c970b-pi

The Cats are very delicately positioned at the moment - added to that fact this year that apart from Brisbane - there are no other Walkover wins - all the other 17 teams are very competitive

As David King put up the stats last night ( where 7 games in so statistically speaking its a reasonable mean average ) - all Geelongs key stats - compared to last year - have gone south in a big way - inside 50s positive 12 to negative 3 - time inside 50 has dropped off dramatically - every key stat has gone negative

And as he pointed out - if they dont fix that - they will tumble down the ladder quickly . I agree 100% with that analysis - and it starts with the Essendon ( who i think are a bottom 4 team ) game - lose that and i can see the Cats finishing 13th or 14th

This year is unique in that - in prior years there were 3 or 4 clubs who were hopeless and you were guarnteed a win - theres only one this year

No. Idea.

They were definitely fun days under Devine.

Interested in your perspective here. Do you think Motlop should be dropped for pulling out of that contest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back