Opinion A little perspective please....

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time anyone took David King seriously?

We have turned on some seriously amazing football this year. I can count 5 quarters I think where we've come out and just annihilated the opposition. Unfortunately there have been around 20 quarters that have been poor. We've won games off the back of those 5 amazing quarters and the poor ones got swept under the carpet and ignored.

We're simply not showing the consistency required of teams that contend. Last year people excused some inconsistency because we were still Gelling.
We need to sort our consistency out. Or we'll find ourselves at 5 and 7 at the bye pushing excrement up and incline just to make the eight.

That term is invariably a cloak worn by pessimists.

Disagree entirely. It's possible to be measured about some expectations this year, which I would call being realistic, as opposed to thinking the club will miss the finals and have a catastrophic year, which I would call pessimistic.

They're not the same thing.

Disagree entirely. It's possible to be measured about some expectations this year, which I would call being realistic, as opposed to thinking the club will miss the finals and have a catastrophic year, which I would call pessimistic.

We are talking at cross purposes. I was referring to people who label themselves "realists". In general they are in my experience uniformly pessimistic but would like to describe their pessimistic views as "realistic". In truth they are no more "realistic" than any optimists views. In fact, they are likely skewed just in the opposite direction to the optimist's.

Losses piss me off.
Losses after good performances where old habits or trends creep back into a game plan - that are IMO avoidable - piss me off even more.

I dont mind losing to be better teams when we leave it all out there.

Watching games live wrecks my week. Its hard . But I do I as I luv the club and the game.

Get a loss and the bitterness just flows for days as everytime I yawn... its a reminder of why Im tired... I stayed up to watch that crap.

With all that pissed-off-ed-ness, we are still 5-2 and whilst Im seething at the last 2 weeks, im still supporting the club.

I'll still make the effort to get up and support them in my little world. But we still have 17 games or so to fix the issues, and get it right.

That also requires some intestinal fortitude.... a Chappy type conversation of even a little "Captain my Captain" from the top of the little three rung benches that circumnavigate their way around most change rooms.

We are not talentless - a 2 man team or that far off - but we need to change some things and reinstate the working for each other mentality.

I dont mind Cocky protecting Sel - and even giving away the 50m ONCE I can handle - but id luv that aggression to be directed at the ball to win a one on one contest, or 2 on 1, rather than putting a bloke on his arse that fully deserved it.

So yes, even in the face of two shitty and infuriating losses, I still fly the flag and and i'll still call myself a 1/2 full type - but that sure as * does not stop me getting pissed off and the silly and controllable things we are getting wrong - not going Ken Bruce about it.

Go Catters

We are talking at cross purposes. I was referring to people who label themselves "realists". In general they are in my experience uniformly pessimistic but would like to describe their pessimistic views as "realistic". In truth they are no more "realistic" than any optimists views. In fact, they are likely skewed just in the opposite direction to the optimist's.

Perhaps. Depends on what aspect of the club as well.

When it comes to injury updates, I'm absolutely pessimistic.

Perhaps. Depends on what aspect of the club as well.

When it comes to injury updates, I'm absolutely pessimistic.
Agree, I share that view. To be clear, I'm not being critical of anyone being optimistic or pessimistic - to each their own. It's more the adoption of the "realist" label I find to be pretty empty.

2 weeks ago we were patting ourselves on the back and marvelling at our depth, and some where even taking off THE LID! Now we've got poor depth and suddenly the quality of entire list is in question?

Guys we're in third. Lets see what the club can do from here. If we go on a 5 game losing streak against sides who are contending then clearly we don't have it. I personally don't think that will happen. But who knows. We might have played poorly on the weekend, but I don't think Gold Coast are as weak as everyone on here imagines. Their big men killed us. That will happen when you lose your best tall defender and you allow the opposition to cut you up through the middle. The fact we played as badly as we did and weren't embarrassed like Adelaide or Hawthorn is a positive thing. Menegola has shown that he simply must play. Not everything that happened yesterday was bad. There were very promising passages of play at times. Unfortunately they didn't occur often enough and their forwards made us pay.
About Menegola - pretty sure that Scott has realised this too, with his comments about seeing what he can do in 80% game-time (unless that is a veiled comment about him not being conditioned enough to do 80% - which can't are right, since he's the running man).

I'd put myself in the pessimists group, but I'd love to be wrong. Not sure the overall quality of the side is good enough, and I'm starting to suspect more than a few players look wonderful against moderate opposition, but fall apart under serious pressure.

Win or loss against Essendon, I'd love for my view to be incorrect.
Yeah we arent that good but who's better aside from crows,dogs and giants? Wouldn't say port and WCE for example. Even the big 3 have all had terrible losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have turned on some seriously amazing football this year. I can count 5 quarters I think where we've come out and just annihilated the opposition. Unfortunately there have been around 20 quarters that have been poor. We've won games off the back of those 5 amazing quarters and the poor ones got swept under the carpet and ignored.

We're simply not showing the consistency required of teams that contend. Last year people excused some inconsistency because we were still Gelling.
We need to sort our consistency out. Or we'll find ourselves at 5 and 7 at the bye pushing excrement up and incline just to make the eight.

En mi humilde opinion, you are overstating those 5 quarters. I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say they were "seriously amazing".

We certainly played a lot better than at other times during the same matches, but as I said to another poster, you cannot chalk the win up to a mere case of Geelong pulling its finger out. There were other factors. For starters, we played better football in part because we were allowed to. I.e. the oppo had run out of gas (Melbourne, Hawthorn). In the Melbourne game at least (and to a degree the Saints game also) we were also quite fortunate to be within striking range when the tide turned out way.

:thumbsu:
Far better to have reasonable expectations than lather in mediocrity
It's odd that some blokes on here prefer the latter

A lot of what you say I agree with. I think now we do need to act as the evidence is mounting that Murdoch is not the answer . If Motlop goes out at the same time and Parfitt, Gregson and McCarthy are injured we are exposed for pace. Fortunately we have added Menegola to our group of players and he has desire and skill and consistency (but not outright pace).

Just thinking it through:
Bews would need to play higher (Wing) if Murdoch goes. Guthrie plays further back.
Parsons has to stay if Motlop goes.
Cockatoo has to play higher (wing).
Then I wonder who plays half forward. I would have to say Stewart or Ruggles would have to come back in there. Play like Rooke (both are fierce tacklers but Stewart a better kick and more creative).
That leaves Blicavs. If he is to go then we only have Smith to come in with Stanley to play more forward. Then the knock on is Taylor back and Lonergan out. The final move with the fit players we have is to bring in another mid. Ruggles or underdone SSelwood or a not quite ready Cunico ( and Parsons is already in) ?

In summary OUT: Motlop, Blicavs, Murdoch, Lonergan,
................. IN : Stewart (half forward) Henderson, SSelwood and ...................? this can't be done. Not having McCarthy or Gregson or Parfitt hurts.

In reality I think OUT: Murdoch Lonergan
......................... IN : Henderson , Stewart

If we really want to upturn the cart Biltz out for Smith. Hope that Stanley gets on his bike up forward.

My optimism has taken a bit of a kick in the gonads again. But I am happy we are 5/2 ( not where the AFL would like us to be).
We have played every game away so far and move toward a time when we play good sides at home. Thats the next test, and if we can see Parsons develop further, Parfitt regain fitness, Kolo, McCarthy and Gregson recover and another kid like Cunico or Gardner debuts then we will have more options.

I'll repeat the wisdom of Spazz : "Still though more positive than negatives just like around 70% of all the years I've watched the club". I could make that 85% quite easily.

And finally : I really love our game. This year of Australian Rules is shaping up as a cracker. Unpredictability the norm. Then add in the new force - women in footy. Embrace and enjoy.
Yeah nice comments, what about Kolo? He could replace Blitz and we'd have another defence focused player in that half-back line.

We are Gelling, the greatest team of all.

I'll get my coat...

I really did not enjoy watching the last 2 matches and sulk a fair bit after a loss. Looked at the ladder today to see we are still well placed to challenge for a top 4. How good is that as a supporter!
Next weekend poses another challenge and would like to think we will bounce back and get a win.
After that we have a huge game at home vs the reigning premiers and a few tough matches to follow, can't wait for those matches.
I love footy and love the GFC. What makes it even better is i support a team that is in contention, plays some entertaining albeit frustrating footy and every week brings different stories and highs and lows.
Look forward to seeing how our team adapts and evolves for the rest of the season.

Go cats!!
We havent played anyone of merit yet and wins havent been convincing. Guess we will hit our straps when we do.

Yeah nice comments, what about Kolo? He could replace Blitz and we'd have another defence focused player in that half-back line.

I saw Kolo doing run throughs between the men's and women's VFL games last Saturday. That could mean he is driven - just what we need or that he hadn't quite done the meters he was supposed to do. I prefer the first but he has had glandular fever.

I think we lack pace in defence and midfield. Thats where we have to expose ourselves a little IMO. Murdoch was recruited for just this time but but but ..
Kolo is a big solid defender quick enough to close down but not a ball carrier. He can play big and is important.

If Blitz goes, one way we could get an advantage is that Smith comes in and we dominate in the ruck for a total of 25 mins when the opp. have second ruck option who is no chop in the ruck ( think Hawkins and Walker). I would prefer more run. Get Bews up to high half back at least. Maybe move Cockatoo back now he has had time to work things out. Then look for a player to come in at half forward and do stuff. Tackle, chase , hurt. We have a couple, and a role model.

Selection is not easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back