Analysis A look back at the longest suspensions in AFL football.

Remove this Banner Ad

An interesting list headed by Stephen Dank's life ban.
In the future will deliberate concussions be worth 20 weeks?
Quite possibly imo.

Suspensions​

VFL/AFL records​

Longest suspension
Qualification - 20 matches

Player /
Administrator
ChargesSeasonMatches
suspended
ClubNotes
Stephen Dank34 x Doping2016LifeEssendon[22]
Doug FraserBribery191099Carlton
Alex LangBribery191099Carlton
Fred Rutley2 × kicking, 3 × striking and melee involvement192589North Melbourne1
Bill BurnsKicking190946Richmond1
George ToppingStriking191035Carlton
Bert FranksAbusing and threatening an umpire191033South Melbourne1
Tommy DownsKicking193129Carlton
Percy SheehanStriking and melee involvement191028Carlton
Jack ShortenStriking and melee involvement191028Collingwood
Elijah TaylorBreach of AFL COVID protocols and bringing the game into disrepute2020 and 202128Sydney/none2
Arthur CoghlanStriking and melee involvement192526Geelong
Stan ThomasElbowing, striking and melee involvement192526Geelong
Dan KeilySustained abuse of umpire191724

Arthur FordAbusing and threatening umpire191023Carlton
Wally WardenKicking192822Footscray
Ben CousinsBringing the game into disrepute200722none3
Jaidyn StephensonGambling on AFL matches201922Collingwood4
Tom BaxterStriking and melee involvement191021Collingwood5
Ted WhitfieldAttempting to strike an umpire, abusing an umpire and 2 × misconduct194521South Melbourne
Dick CondonSustained abuse of umpire190020Collingwood1
Billy Gent3 × Striking190420South Melbourne
George HoldenStriking191120Fitzroy
Peter Reville3 × Striking193420South Melbourne
Phil CarmanStriking and headbutting umpire198020Essendon
Chris AppletonGambling on AFL matches201020Goal umpire
Wayne SiekmanGambling on AFL matches201020Interchange steward
John WiseGambling on AFL matches201020Interchange

Right. So the highest penalty ever given for a single on field act was given to Billy Burns. A Richmond player. Never change Tribunal, never change.

If you play for Footscray and you kick someone, 22 weeks.

If you play for Carlton and you kick someone. 29 weeks.

But if you play for Richmond and you probably didn’t kick anyone, you get the usual Richmond premium, 46 weeks.

But the most brutal suspension ever was surely the this one:

An actual good bloke with an actual clean record gets stitched right up by the filthy mongrel cheating lying Blues, with a Blue man sitting on the Tribunal, and as a result misses out on playing in a Premiership. Don’t ever wonder why Richmond despises Carlton.

Right. So the highest penalty ever given for a single on field act was given to Billy Burns. A Richmond player. Never change Tribunal, never change.

If you play for Footscray and you kick someone, 22 weeks.

If you play for Carlton and you kick someone. 29 weeks.

But if you play for Richmond and you probably didn’t kick anyone, you get the usual Richmond premium, 46 weeks.

But the most brutal suspension ever was surely the this one:

An actual good bloke with an actual clean record gets stitched right up by the filthy mongrel cheating lying Blues, with a Blue man sitting on the Tribunal, and as a result misses out on playing in a Premiership. Don’t ever wonder why Richmond despises Carlton.
That Neville Crowe suspension was a black mark on football set up by future fraudster John Nicholls.

It’s more a persecution simplex than a persecution complex. We are simply persecuted and always have been. 😁
i reckon there is alot to this game that has really touched a nerve with Richmond fans.

It was the sort of high pressure intensity game that historically they would have run all over us in the past. This time they didn’t. It showed that they are not what they once were, and probably showcased it in emphatic fashion with us rolling them from 17 points down in the last in an epic MCG nail biter.

I think it served as a reality check they are not what they once were, and the tables have turned. We broke the fairytale ideology I think was beginning to build about some premiership resurgence they believed was occurring, and it was a big thud they didn’t see coming. Arrogantly they all believed they would steamroll us and it didn’t go at all to plan.

The whole prestia KO thing is a bit of a way to vent steam for the fact above

i reckon there is alot to this game that has really touched a nerve with Richmond fans.

It was the sort of high pressure intensity game that historically they would have run all over us in the past. This time they didn’t. It showed that they are not what they once were, and probably showcased it in emphatic fashion with us rolling them from 17 points down in the last in an epic MCG nail biter.

I think it served as a reality check they are not what they once were, and the tables have turned. We broke the fairytale ideology I think was beginning to build about some premiership resurgence they believed was occurring, and it was a big thud they didn’t see coming. Arrogantly they all believed they would steamroll us and it didn’t go at all to plan.

The whole prestia KO thing is a bit of a way to vent steam for the fact above

Those are interesting thoughts to express on a thread right after Tom Stewart has re-proven that the spirit of arch-thugs Arthur Coghlan and Stanley Thomas lives on in perpetuity.

So you have only now realised that we are not quite as good as we were when we used dumfounded Geelong teams as launchpads as we moonwalked over you to our 3 recent flags. And you are deliriously happy about it I see. Allow me to let you in on a little secret. There are about 10 other clubs you will not trouble any time after August. 😂

Even if you knock out one of their key players early, get unlimited fellatio supply from Brad Scott’s flouro army, and they effectively have 4 of their best players missing and 3 kids 19 or under running around, and you have your home crowd in the house. 😁.

Saturday was a casual spa Cryo. September is bare knuckles. Not your go mate. 😉

I wonder what the details of 'Sustained Umpire Abuse' was?

Copping 20 weeks it! F**K, must have been one hell of a spray.

I remember Craig O'Brien followed one home after a ressies game once and 'intimidated' him - but I don't think he even copped close to that.

Dick Condom must have dressed the ump in a gimp suit and given him a proper going over. 😂.

Those are interesting thoughts to express on a thread right after Tom Stewart has re-proven that the spirit of arch-thugs Arthur Coghlan and Stanley Thomas lives on in perpetuity.

So you have only now realised that we are not quite as good as we were when we used dumfounded Geelong teams as launchpads as we moonwalked over you to our 3 recent flags. And you are deliriously happy about it I see. Allow me to let you in on a little secret. There are about 10 other clubs you will not trouble any time after August. 😂

Even if you knock out one of their key players early, get unlimited fellatio supply from Brad Scott’s flouro army, and they effectively have 4 of their best players missing and 3 kids 19 or under running around, and you have your home crowd in the house. 😁.

Saturday was a casual spa Cryo. September is bare knuckles. Not your go mate. 😉
You lot were found out to be soft as f**k! Not a single tiger flew the flag for Prestia!!

Did your players agree there wasn’t much in it ( not so much as the hysterics coming from Richmond bandwagoners atm) or is he just not very liked at Punt Rd?

NO ONE WENT IN TO BAT FOR PRESTIA!

#concerning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many did Brereton cop for that time he stood on Tallis's head? Imagine if that happened today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back