Toast A Message About Heritage from Port Adelaide Fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello guys, as you are playing us this week (and therefore have us in mind), I was hoping you'd take a read of our #bringbackthebars campaign and sign our petition at www.bringbackthebars.com.

Our manifesto can be found here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/bbtb_manifesto_de2-pdf.695660/

This campaign is not about changing our current guernsey, but about being allowed to wear our traditional guernsey on occasion, without the ridiculous stipulation of having to beg Collingwood every time. Your support is very much appreciated.

This link will take you to the Big Footy thread. We have Facebook, Insta, Twitter etc. as well as the support of the current and ex-players if you are interested in following the campaign.

Last edited:

I believe Port made an agreement to not wear that jumper when they joined the league so I don’t think you can turn around now and change it.

Unfortunately you should have dug your heels in to start and you most probably would have got your way in some shape or form.

But considering each club wears 2-3 jumpers each year I also don’t see the problem. The AFL are not going to tell the pies they can’t have it their way so I can’t see it changing

Signed.

I’ve made a few posts on this topic but Collingwood’s carry on about clash jumpers and Port’s prison bar jumpers over the years has been ridiculous.

The AFL Commission to all clubs, years ago: “We think it’s time for you all to have clash jumpers. Just for TV purposes and to make it easier for umpires, people at the ground etc.”

17 other clubs: “Sure, no problems.”

*17 other clubs get clash jumpers and life goes on as normal*

Collingwood (for several years, whilst stamping their feet really hard): “No, no way! Black and white are our colours and heritage!”

AFL and pretty much everyone: “Um, we’re not asking you to change colours or your heritage. Just get a different jumper for when you’re the away team against St. Kilda, North, Port and whoever else you clash with. You’ll wear it 2-3 times a year. Every other club is doing it and they have the same history and tradition with their colours as Collingwood. It’s no big deal.”

Collingwood: “No! It’s not fair! We wear black and white! Wahhhhh!”

AFL and everyone else: *Rolls eyes*

Port Adelaide: “We have worn our black and white prison bar jumpers for a long time. It’s part of our heritage. Can we wear this for our home games? We’re happy to wear a clash jumper when we play Collingwood away.”

AFL and everyone else: “Sure, sounds reasonable.”

Collingwood: “That is outrageous! Black and white are our colours and no one else is allowed to wear them!”

AFL and everyone else: “Huh?! What’s your problem? You’re not the only footy club in the country that wears black and white. You don’t exclusively own the colours. You can still wear black and white. Port will also wear them and have a clash jumper at your home games.

Virtually every professional sports league in the league has two teams that wear the same colours and they don’t make the same song and dance that you are.”

Collingwood: “No, no!!! It’s not fair!!! Black and white are ours and ours only!!!*

AFL and everyone else: *Rolls eyes, everyone else rolls their eyes even further when the AFL cave to Collingwood on the issue*

South Australians generally have no respect for our club so stuff em.

Totally with Port on this.

For their home games they should be able to wear the bars against whoever they please.... including Collingwood.

It’s Collingwood’s obligation to have a clash jersey that works in that situation. This is the reality of an 18 team comp.

No different in soccer - i don’t think Barcelona really want to play in anything but blue and red, but they have to if they’re away from home and there is a jersey clash with their opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They entered into a comp from victoria and now want to dictate what they wear that conflicts with a club that was a foundation club, Stuff port Adelaide

I have posted about this before but as some people have short memories it is worth another run. In the Fightback Campaign of 1989 only one other club joined the party and provided players to oppose a "Footscray Greats" team in a fund raiser. That team - yes Collingwood. We should not so easily forget a favour done.

Like every other AFL team Collingwood is the enemy but their assitance should be acknowledged. I can disagree with Collingwood''s position but i won't bad mouth them just for the sake of it.

I have posted about this before but as some people have short memories it is worth another run. In the Fightback Campaign of 1989 only one other club joined the party and provided players to oppose a "Footscray Greats" team in a fund raiser. That team - yes Collingwood. We should not so easily forget a favour done.

Like every other AFL team Collingwood is the enemy but their assitance should be acknowledged. I can disagree with Collingwood''s position but i won't bad mouth them just for the sake of it.

Collingwood were there, but so was Richmond, North and all the Victorian clubs, except Essendon and Carlton who wanted us gone. May they continue to be mediocre and simply crap.

Collingwood were there, but so was Richmond, North and all the Victorian clubs, except Essendon and Carlton who wanted us gone. May they continue to be mediocre and simply crap.

My recollection was that only a few clubs publicly supported us, via either donations or Pies with that game at Skinner Reserve, although some support was funnelled through their cheer squads to avoid wrath of HQ. Those clubs were Pies, Tigers, Roos and Saints. Most other clubs, not just Ess and Carlton, were conspicuous by their lack of support.

It’s interesting when Melbourne wear their royal blue jumpers. It nearly looks like us. I love those Melbourne jumpers because of those three colours together look awesome. But we let that happen peacefully but it helps with clashes against dark teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back