A Message to ALL Richmond Members and Supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Good afternoon,

Please don't ask for membership refunds.

This message isn't written lightly, I have gone back and forth on whether to write it or not. Our footy club membership is a service, the club cannot adhere to this service and understandably people have lost jobs and need to priority cuts to their family budget. That may change May 31st, but until then...

Please make the Richmond Football Club a priority.

With all sensitivity and complete understanding, I plead to any richmond supporter who reads this to keep paying their membership, even make the bold decision to sign up if you haven't.

It's ridiculous that I'm writing this, everyone is entitled to make their own decision for their family and I am crossing a line. For that I'm really sorry.

Why am I writing this? We have all lived through the shambles of the past as a Richmond supporter , finally in the midst of our glory, the world decides to stop, let's buck the trend and go against the grain of that trend. Let's keep our club that's been built since 2010, let's keep it unscathed, let's give it that chance to continue to blossom and grow. Let's redefine the odds and expectations on what should and shouldn't be happening now according to the experts, let's show them the power of this tiger army by sticking with our club right now and making it a priority.

This is an uncertain and scary time, but remember and reminisce on yourself in 2010. Yes you! You wanted Richmond to stop being the joke, you wanted to go into work on the Monday and talk footy without being laughed at, you've got that. LETS KEEP IT. Let's say thank you for 2017,2019 and any point from 2010 onwards where we've seen the growth. Let's remember where we came from, so we can continue to walk the glorious path we are on.

Lots of clubs will struggle, but no club will hurt as much as ours if we pull out. We have the most members, we get the most attendances, we are probably making the most revenue from them. We have minimal pokie machine revenue to fall back on when they open again. Our club needs us.

Regards,

A Richmond member who paid his monthly tiger payment three ago and will continue to.

Gotiges!!

It's an emotive issue, I get that.
I'm lucky as it looks like my job (and my wife's) is safe + would not have had to consider asking anyway however I understand many are facing really tough times with sudden loss of income and all the difficulties that this represents.

There seems to be two separate arguments in play though - the need to find all possible ways to replace lost income to assist in basic living needs versus the principle of being 'owed' a refund for services being paid for but not being delivered.

Those in the community who find or will find themselves desperate will have a raft of social services and support systems available to them as well as charitable organisations.
Sure, this will not 100% replace lost regular income but we are not 3rd world and will look after those in need somewhat adequately.

I understand that every bit helps but part of me wonders if the refund of a club membership will really bust through and solve a large part of the challenges that struggling punters are facing.

It's an emotive issue, I get that.
I'm lucky as it looks like my job (and my wife's) is safe + would not have had to consider asking anyway however I understand many are facing really tough times with sudden loss of income and all the difficulties that this represents.

There seems to be two separate arguments in play though - the need to find all possible ways to replace lost income to assist in basic living needs versus the principle of being 'owed' a refund for services being paid for but not being delivered.

Those in the community who find or will find themselves desperate will have a raft of social services and support systems available to them as well as charitable organisations.
Sure, this will not 100% replace lost regular income but we are not 3rd world and will look after those in need somewhat adequately.

I understand that every bit helps but part of me wonders if the refund of a club membership will really bust through and solve a large part of the challenges that struggling punters are facing.

im not in favour of refunds, I did suggest a suspension of the monthly payments, until,such time as this resolves itself, after all they have collected some five months as well as the full payments made by a percentage of the members.

that would have been an act of goodwill imo.

my thoughts on this is thst there are members out there who are now on struggle street, and would welcome this as a token , it’s not about letting the club die, however if there is no football played what then, do they ask for another donation given we have all just received a letter asking us to bequeath money in our wills to the club,

we as members donate to all sorts of things, FTF etc cones to mind , a gesture of good faith won’t go astray and will be paid back tenfold to the club

we as members donate to all sorts of things, FTF etc cones to mind , a gesture of good faith won’t go astray and will be paid back tenfold to the club

Our donations and the solid management of them have resulted in two premierships and a plethora of memories we will cherish forever.

There's more than one answer to what 'good will' is, my view on it is not wasting my money, and our success on field is money well spent. The investments in the leisure and aquatic centres and overall excellent management of the club is good will. I seek no financial gains.

But with the reduced home games, a good gesture would be a phone call from a player on a birthday, or something out the box. I'm sure the club is thinking about this.

Our donations and the solid management of them have resulted in two premierships and a plethora of memories we will cherish forever.

There's more than one answer to what 'good will' is, my view on it is not wasting my money, and our success on field is money well spent. The investments in the leisure and aquatic centres and overall excellent management of the club is good will. I seek no financial gains.

But with the reduced home games, a good gesture would be a phone call from a player on a birthday, or something out the box. I'm sure the club is thinking about this.

my grandson used to get a card on his birthday now I have two grandsons both members and a card wouldn’t go astray rather than a text, it’s the small things that count

I'm lucky enough that I won't need to try for a refund (finger crossed and providing nothing changes).

Everyone is re-evaluating what is and is not "essential" to them just now. I won't think less of any Tiger who decides that a 2020 membership isn't essential to them.

Club has given me 3 of the most exciting years of my life and can see many more to come,
so will continue financially supporting the club.
However I have no issues with supporters contacting the club for a refund or suspension of payments if they’re suffering hardship.
Sure club would understand.

Last edited:
This is where I stand on the issue

I'm not asking for a refund, but I do expect my membership to be rolled into 2021 if we get no season 2020. I will be pissed off if that doesn't happen and wouldn't bother purchasing a membership, however I would remain a Richmond supporter and just pay to go as I go. I will be accused of not being a true supporter now, but that's how I see it.

Suspending monthly payments would not assist those of us who paid upfront.

However, I have no intention of asking for a refund for a payment made before Christmas, as I was not in the position to assist much during the SOS campaign, even if my finances have been devastated through illness, a drought and a fire.

I won't be seeking a refund, but I don't begrudge anyone who needs one.

One thing which I thought of that was mentioned on SEN this morning is that the club doesn't keep 100% of our membership funds.
The club "buys" the sëats from the home venue and then on sells them as memberships split up into general admission and then premium offerings.
The club then makes a profit on top of that cost which goes into the clubs coffers.
Since there's no games, and even IF they get playing again there's no guarantee that us as members/fans will get in to see them live.
I'm sure that there's fans who'd be more than happy for the club to keep their "profit component" and then make a partial refund on the "unused cost" component.
Just my 2c worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't be seeking a refund, but I don't begrudge anyone who needs one.

One thing which I thought of that was mentioned on SEN this morning is that the club doesn't keep 100% of our membership funds.
The club "buys" the sëats from the home venue and then on sells them as memberships split up into general admission and then premium offerings.
The club then makes a profit on top of that cost which goes into the clubs coffers.
Since there's no games, and even IF they get playing again there's no guarantee that us as members/fans will get in to see them live.
I'm sure that there's fans who'd be more than happy for the club to keep their "profit component" and then make a partial refund on the "unused cost" component.
Just my 2c worth.
Correct PB.
The club pays the MCC around $25 for every reserved seat it acquires PER HOME GAME and also an amount for standing room. Yes......we pay them!!
Multiply that by 25k?? reserved seats, that's a lot of money club forks out fortnightly.
Club then adds its margin to that and on sells it to members for its various levels of membership.
More to it than people realise. Lets stick fat folks.

This is where I stand on the issue

I'm not asking for a refund, but I do expect my membership to be rolled into 2021 if we get no season 2020. I will be pissed off if that doesn't happen and wouldn't bother purchasing a membership, however I would remain a Richmond supporter and just pay to go as I go. I will be accused of not being a true supporter now, but that's how I see it.

Rolling over to 2021? that’s equivalent to a refund.

The players don't care, Riewoldt wants his $$$ no matter what, so why should we be donating our cash to the club?

Has Dimma foregone his salary for the good of the club? How about Benny and the executive (do they draw salaries or volunteer?)

Would be good to know. If the leadership leads on this, I'm happy to follow, otherwise we are just saps donating our $$ to keep their snouts in the trough...

My interstate MRC membership + a interstate for my wife and token baby membership for the 2yr old probably sum to half what most Victorian fully ticketed members are paying - we pay in full, upfront as committed tigers.

For me my interstate membership has always been a bit of a donation so the talk of membership donations is irrelevant to me

But these are unchartered times for our generation, so none of us can begrudge others who have committed more or who are under different circumstances who may see things differently

The players don't care, Riewoldt wants his $$$ no matter what, so why should we be donating our cash to the club?

Has Dimma foregone his salary for the good of the club? How about Benny and the executive (do they draw salaries or volunteer?)

Would be good to know. If the leadership leads on this, I'm happy to follow, otherwise we are just saps donating our $$ to keep their snouts in the trough...
Why do you have 'Richmond' listed as your club in your profile?
Clearly you have little respect for the club - or have events over the past couple of weeks turned you 180 degrees?

Clearly you have little respect for the club - or have events over the past couple of weeks turned you 180 degrees?
Give me a break, I'm platinum or whatever it is for 15 years member (but I have low grade membership).

I'm asking does anyone know who in the footy dept has taken a pay cut like Chris Scott has at the cats?

We have already seen the players grasping for everything they could get, one of our own in Riewoldt getting singled out with Dangerfield for insensitive comments.

All fans would be happy to throw in if the hierarchy are sacrificing too

Bit over the top mate

Give me a break, I'm platinum or whatever it is for 15 years member (but I have low grade membership).

I'm asking does anyone know who in the footy dept has taken a pay cut like Chris Scott has at the cats?

We have already seen the players grasping for everything they could get, one of our own in Riewoldt getting singled out with Dangerfield for insensitive comments.

All fans would be happy to throw in if the hierarchy are sacrificing too
No dramas
Personally I don't need to know who at the club has been stood down and who has taken what cut.
What we do know is that many Richmond staff and footy dept people have been stood down - means no work and no pay.
Players and Dimma? - Again I'm not 100% across the numbers but we know significant % of salary has been cut whilst they 'work'/train remotely.

As for Benny Gale and other senior administrators - they would be stressing and working 100 hours a week at the moment trying to best navigate through this drama and so would be more than earning their pay IMO

Bit over the top mate
Yeah I know - I'm getting a bit triggered at the moment at some of the discussion re. memberships and entitlements.
Terms such as greed and 'players don't care' and 'snouts in the trough' when referring to the club and players that a couple of weeks ago we all seemed to love etc...

Many including me need to zen out a little bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back