Opinion A monster reason for our unity and success thus far...

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm on the record as saying there are a number of 1% ers in the mixing bowl of success. This could be one , how much weight could be attributed is arguable , that said , leadership is a cornerstone and I've also remarked this is the best I've seen Trent Cotchin play in his time at RFC in terms of impacting games. So yes, possibly a reasonable factor

Aug 26, 2015
Pile of Melted servers
AFL Club
Richmond
images
i saw balme's identical hipster twin today. true story

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
We have all been talking about our successes to date and acknowledging the off field decisions after the debacle that was 2016. What is evident is the team seems united and really are playing for each other. Now Kiwi tiger, you may be able to correct me, but I believe the removal of leading teams from our club has been pivotal. I've never been a fan of it and believe it is more divisive than anything (anyone who has worked in corporate and done this will have an idea if what i am on about).
If anything it erodes morale and creates disfunction. The KISS philosophy at the club is a godsend, and i for one could not be happier. Mods, if i am incorrect, please delete.
What are other posters views on the leading teams approach?

You only have to look at Geelong to see this. It pisses me off like nothing else. One of my best mates who I go to the footy with every week is a Cats supporter. We're both AFL Members and go to lots of neutral games. It's become a bit of a joke that he barracks for the Tigers whenever he rocks up to my games and I barrack for whoever Geelong plays in his games. God I gate Geelong and Joel Selwood! But they keep winning. I blame the umpires but I suspect there's more to it than that...........
Still going to get a nice top 15 rated pick

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
leading teams is sh*t if you use it it as your only principal.

If you use the theory and apply it to certain individuals, then yes it can be effective.

Every player is different, so every player reacts differently to feedback. Puts all those differences in a group of 40+ blokes, and every group will respons differently. The reality is, from a coaching group, you need to have all the tools from all these 'programs' to get the best out of every individual.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Which I acknowledged, however I disagree. I think leading teams eroded a mateship, team first environment. Put leading teams with a s**t game plan and it's a timebomb.
You and i heard stuff from behind the scenes, it wasn't healthy. Egos and self preservation with senior players deriding junior players.
Like i said in the OP, I think it was a critical decision in fixing our culture moving forward.

Send from my ipad with righteous man power.

Agree.
In contrast, I doubt it has been as critical as made out in the rare successes under Leading Teams.
Although, Bomber Thompson cites it as a key factor behiond their premiership win in '09.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
You only have to look at Geelong to see this. It pisses me off like nothing else. One of my best mates who I go to the footy with every week is a Cats supporter. We're both AFL Members and go to lots of neutral games. It's become a bit of a joke that he barracks for the Tigers whenever he rocks up to my games and I barrack for whoever Geelong plays in his games. God I gate Geelong and Joel Selwood! But they keep winning. I blame the umpires but I suspect there's more to it than that...........

Agree buddy. I'm the same. Best mates are Cats and Dogs and family who are Hawthorn, so I see a lot of live stuff.
You learn a helluva lot. I suspect (and it doesn't bother me) a lot of people who post don't watch a lot outside Richmond, which makes a lot of comments made kinda redundant.
Us losing to Geelong and North Melbourne consistently is certainly highly mental, just as our ability to upset Hawthorn during their recent reign!

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Agree buddy. I'm the same. Best mates are Cats and Dogs and family who are Hawthorn, so I see a lot of live stuff.
You learn a helluva lot. I suspect (and it doesn't bother me) a lot of people who post don't watch a lot outside Richmond, which makes a lot of comments made kinda redundant.
Us losing to Geelong and North Melbourne consistently is certainly highly mental, just as our ability to upset Hawthorn during their recent reign!
Do you think that we should just change the name of this board to "The Goldust Board"?

How you use program like Leading teams is more important than the actual program itself.

But we seem to have really cleaned a lot of crap out in 2016 - players coaches etc.

Agree.
In contrast, I doubt it has been as critical as made out in the rare successes under Leading Teams.
Although, Bomber Thompson cites it as a key factor behiond their premiership win in '09.

Yep, and within that (happy to be corrected) era, pretty sure blokes like Mooney, Bartel and Ablett weren't real fans of it (and I can't see a bloke like Stevie J being that caught up in it). Remember, at the end of the day footballers are like sausages....

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Yep, and within that (happy to be corrected) era, pretty sure blokes like Mooney, Bartel and Ablett weren't real fans of it (and I can't see a bloke like Stevie J being that caught up in it). Remember, at the end of the day footballers are like sausages....

I think Mooney and Ablett (and Scarlett) weren't fans as they were the chief targets. Mooney for his on-field indiscretions (and elbows), Ablett for a poor training ethic and Scarlett for being out late and drinking.
I doubt most of us would be comfortable with a group of best mates or acquaintances sitting around picking the s**t out of us.
Mind you I don't need it, I just come on to Big Footy and have three or four peeps get JAKed-off and critique my every post and motive and launch with the ferocity of Apollo 8

When he walked in to punt rd on his first day back - " You, you, you and you pack your things"
Been a brilliant pick up by Richmond since Collingwood let him go.

Scary is 3 other clubs recruited these players after seeing what they had done at the tigers .

Ooooooh snap.

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
We have all been talking about our successes to date and acknowledging the off field decisions after the debacle that was 2016. What is evident is the team seems united and really are playing for each other. Now Kiwi tiger, you may be able to correct me, but I believe the removal of leading teams from our club has been pivotal. I've never been a fan of it and believe it is more divisive than anything (anyone who has worked in corporate and done this will have an idea if what i am on about).
If anything it erodes morale and creates disfunction. The KISS philosophy at the club is a godsend, and i for one could not be happier. Mods, if i am incorrect, please delete.
What are other posters views on the leading teams approach?

A friend had a great business with great staff and got involved with one of these things and ****ed the lot

Back