Oppo Camp A neutral supporter's opinion of GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
With all the negativity in the footy forums, Australian media and twittersphere, I felt it was important to show that not everyone in the world things it's all doom and gloom for the GC Suns.

In my opinion, which lets face it, is worth as much and as little as anyones :) I think the GC are close to turning the corner and making really big steps forward.

Reasons why:
- You've just appointed a new coach that has been highly regarded for about 5-6 years now, I see him coming in and shaping the club better than ever.
- We are yet to really see what last years bumper draft haul is capable of, expect to see big steps forward from Jack Scrimshaw, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes and Brad Scheer.
- This may be a big and premature call, but Ben Ainsworth is capable of being one of the leagues best players and quickly,. Absolute talent.
- Another bumper haul in 2017 is coming,.. Additionally to Pick 2 which WILL land a weapon,. you've 4 more 2nd round picks and another early 3rd - The club may bundle some of these up / use some on players but will definitely go into the draft loaded with picks.
- Peter Wright, KK, Fiorini, Ah Chee + Martin are all primed to REALLY breakthrough as genuine players, Wright and Martin have already proved what they can do, but I see them both haveing huge a 2018.
- Your spine is really, really good - just missing a couple pieces.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY - Momentum is a big thing, Win a few games in a row, the players start to feel a bit more positive about their future, Lynch re-signs and bang.. all of a sudden GC playing 10-15% better than what we've seen so far. This is well and truly enough to win more games than you lose.

Yes you'll lose Saad, Ablett, Matera and Possibly McKenzie BUT Saad is the only one that has his best footy ahead of him, Matera and McKenzie have struggled to be consistant best 22 for years now, time to cut them loose. Ablett is a unique scenario, but injuries are becoming the regular.

Hang in there,. as a neutral supporter, I really like the suns and can't wait for them to establish themselves and really find their feet.. It will happen,. and it will happen quickly.

In my opinion,. the GC Best 22 for 2018: (positions obviously may vary)

FB: Lemmens / May / Kolodjashnij
HB: Harbrow / Thompson / Hanley
C: Bowes / Fiorini / Hall
HF: Martin / Wright / Miller
FF: Ainsworth / Lynch / Ah Chee
FOLL: Witts / Swallow / Lyons

INT: Hanley / Sexton / Scrimshaw / Brodie

This doesn't take into account you'll likely pick up L.Weller who will immediately come into that side or the 2017 draft class.

Ladder Predictions:
2018 - 9 Wins , 13 Losses - 12th-13th
2019 - 12 Wins , 10 Losses - 7th-8th (First finals series)
2020 - 14 Wins , 8 Losses - 5th-6th (First finals victory, potentially push into a prelim)
2021 - 2023 : Continual improvement, culminating with your first Grand Final appearance.

Hang in there GC Supporters,. It's coming .

Good luck in 2018 lads,

I think the Suns' fortunes can turn around very quickly once Brodie gets going. The midfield right now is improving, but I think it's one big bodied bruiser away from becoming above average in the AFL.

Brodie and Lyons can each handle the dirty work(can't have Lyons as your clear best contested midfielder if you want to make finals), Barlow provides that veteran leadership and also his trademark accumulation and grunt work, Fiorini Miller Swallow Bowes all feed off that trio of strong contested ball winners and play with more confidence.

Adding a readymade midfielder like Cerra, Rayner, Davies Uniacke can only help as well.

If the Suns can hold onto pick 2 and nab Weller I think they'll be able to challenge for the eight quicker than everyone expects. Next year, Dew needs(and is capable) to do what Fagan did this year with the Lions and focus on the transition to a strong ball winning side who takes the game on when needed and plays with a general fearlessness, ie find an identity. Then, from 2019 I think finals is both feasible and likely.

People like to say the Suns haven't drafted well or anything but the fact is the list is still very talented, and whilst Mckenzie, Shaw, Thompson, Kolodjashnij, Lemmens etc. etc. haven't come as good as everyone hoped, whoever is retained under Dew has a great chance to become an important player, albeit as complementary and not core players. Not one player on the list from the original Gold Coast Suns would be over 26 so their careers aren't over yet.

Will keep a close eye on the Suns next year regardless. Dew knows his stuff and I think, like Fagan and Bolton have, he will bring a young side back onto a very positive path to future success.

That being said I also hope the Suns never kick on because legitimately, I only see the Giants, Lions and Dogs as really dangerous flag threats in the future for the Dee's. Swans, Freo and Carlton will have varying ladder positions but I think all three of those teams are lacking one key component of their future. The Suns can leap over all of these teams and join the former 3 young teams in really challenging for the flag in a few years if they can knuckle down and buy into Dew's philosophy because talent wise they will easily be top 4 in three years.

I wrote a thread on Harrison Wigg in the drafting and trading page - check it out,. you've just found a great value pickup there.. should be best 22 next year onwards,.. not to mention you're other pickups in the trade period,.. Paying a little bit of overs for Weller was a great idea, you already have a heap of top young talent, you need someone with 40-50 games who you know is 100% committed to the club long term, Great pick up.

New best 22 :

FB: Lemmens / May / Kolodjashnij
HB: Harbrow / Thompson / Hanley
C: Bowes / Weller / Hall
HF: Martin / Wright / Miller
FF: Ainsworth / Lynch / Young
FOLL: Witts / Swallow / Lyons

INT/Depth : Wigg / Sexton / Scrimshaw / Brodie / Fiorini / Ah Chee

IN: Harrison Wigg, Lachie Weller, Aaron Young

PLUS Whatever you can gather from : 2017 draft picks: 19, 41, 50, 54, 76, 94

(And have these in the bank for the following year) - 2018 first-round pick (West Coast), 2018 second-round pick (Essendon), 2018 second-round pick (Geelong), 2018 third-round pick (Fremantle)

Go Crows (first and foremost) but outside of them,. I will be watching the Suns in 2018 with real interest,. Good luck all,

boys what ever happens you have to keep lynch next season , if he gets wooed to the pies will be a disaster of epic proportions , put qld footy back years.
the AFL need too do what ever needs doing on top and under the table to ensure he stays

boys what ever happens you have to keep lynch next season , if he gets wooed to the pies will be a disaster of epic proportions , put qld footy back years.
the AFL need too do what ever needs doing on top and under the table to ensure he stays
there are 3 things in life thats guaranteed, death taxes and the afl continuing do just that for qld nsw footy. :rolleyes:

there are 3 things in life thats guaranteed, death taxes and the afl continuing do just that for qld nsw footy. :rolleyes:
Well sometimes that's required when establishing national growth in a competition when other teams in the competition have a 100+ year headstart.

Don’t worry about the explosion in the participation of boys and girls playing Aussie Rules, all that matters is obese people get to watch Geelong play Fitzroy and South Melbourne at Kardinia Park.

What a tragedy.
Now that gaz is back i guess no kid in qld will play afl again based on your logic. You could have sold the club without steeling the goat in his prime. Look at gws you might have actually had more success not putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Shock horror! :eek:

Now that gaz is back i guess no kid in qld will play afl again based on your logic. You could have sold the club without steeling the goat in his prime. Look at gws you might have actually had more success not putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Shock horror! :eek:

You’ve lost me
This discussion started with you responding to a post about us needing to keep Lynch.
I’m moving on from you now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back