FM A new beginning: From rags to riches [FM 17]

Remove this Banner Ad

8EarCwU.jpg

June, 2017

"I think it's better if we just part ways now." The words of my boss echoed through my mind in the weeks following the moment when they were first spoken. After three years of working hard, giving them everything there was to give, it was over. The ties I had with my job were severed and now I was unemployed for the first time since I was 15. It was tough, but I dreamed of a future where I could be someone different. Doing something different. I wanted to live out my dream and become a football manager.

I was not a person who thought logically and weighed up my options. I was an act now and think later kind-of-guy. There was a sense of adventure about what I was about to undertake. Jumping on a plane with the clothes on my back, a small suitcase and a huge dream to become the best football manager I could. Granted, I did not know what was in store for me, nor did I know where I would land. All I knew was that I was flying to Europe and would aim to make a living anyway possible while obtaining a job at a club and build my way up.

I would start in England and then look across eastern Europe to see where I could secure a job and if I couldn't, I would bide my time working nearby and continually look to improve myself in anyway possible. One thing is for sure though, nothing is guaranteed in life, so I might as well roll the dice and see where life takes me.

It was a new beginning, a rags to riches tale.

---
Editors note: Countries loaded are England, Belgium, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Ireland, Italy, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Scotland, Spain and Wales.

Last edited:
Hvidovre_IF.png

INTERVIEW: Hvidovre Idrætsforening

League: Danish 2nd Division

After promotion to the Danish Superliga for the 1996/97 season, Hvidovre Idraetsforening was immediately relegated back to Division One and since then, has found themselves dwindling in the third tier. Chairman Lars J. Knudsen said the club had limited resources and finances were a big factor in choosing a manager. This did not surprise me considering the country and the team. The Chairman and I agreed if I got the position I would look to sign youngsters for the first team. At the end, Knudsen thanked me for an "enlightening discussion" and I left reasonably hopeful.

22235.png

INTERVIEW: Boldklubben Marienlyst

League: Danish 2nd Division

Finishing 18th in the Danish Second Division last season, Boldklubben Marienlyst are one of the lower sides in the division and I met with Chairman Anders Berthelsen. He had less expectations, but a clear directive to stay away from youth, which wasn't as attractive to me, but nonetheless would keep them in consideration.

Cs_sedan2.png

INTERVIEW: CS Sedan Ardennes

League: French National

After a couple of Danish interviews, I got my first interview in France. I was quite interested to take up residence in France as there was plenty of scope to succeed with plenty of top players willing to play in the country. The team had actually played in Ligue 1 as recently as the 2002/2003 season but were relegated after finishing 19th and now sit in the third tier competition. The club Chairman Gilles Dubois was quite interesting. He brought up the language barrier, and also the importance placed on youth and bringing them through the youth system. I was very impressed because that was a dream of mine. He said the team would look to avoid relegation and I wanted to impress him so I said I'd take them mid-table. He thanked me for my time and said they would be in touch.

badge-53-w600.jpg

INTERVIEW: Drogheda United

League: Irish First Division

From France back to Ireland, I scored an interview with First Division club Drogheda United. The club finished sixth in the first division last season after being relegated from the top tier the season before. The difference between the other clubs and Drogheda was that the club was already two thirds of the way through its season, sitting second last. The Chairman Fiachra Keirans seemed keen to find a manager post haste, and was keen to find one that would not see the club slip to bottom. With the season almost done, the priority was elsewhere.

Hayes-Yeading-United-badge.jpg

INTERVIEW: Hayes and Yeading United

League: Vanarama National League South

My first interview in England! I was excited to see what they could offer. I had an offer on the table from one of the Denmark clubs, but was keen to get as much information as possible as the Danish club did not pay wages for its manager which I desperately needed. Chairman Andy Branson was keen to bring in a manager who would focus on set pieces and battle against relegation. I told him I would go one better and avoid it altogether. It was a positive step as I dreamed of managing in England, but it would just depends how the cards fell.

Hednesford.png

INTERVIEW: Hednesford Town

League: Vanarama National League North

Back-to-back interviews in England! I was pretty excited I was being considered for jobs there, and from one of the newest clubs to a historic one in the north, I was keen to see what they had to say. The Chairman Justin Lynch was also keen to work on set pieces, while avoiding relegation, which I told him I could achieve if hired. I walked away now with plenty of clubs potentially interested in me.

Websiteheader.jpg

HAYES & YEADING UNITED SIGN WILLIAMS

English seventh tier side Hayes & Yeading have signed relatively unknown Australian Peter Williams as their new manager for the upcoming 2017/18 season. As part of the deal, Williams will receive £300 per week on a one-year contract until June next year. Included in the contract was a clause that he would be allowed to move to another club for 90 per cent of the required club compensation. Williams said he was excited to be a part of the set-up at Beaconsfield Road. The club was a merger of the two former clubs, Hayes and Yeading, which merged together in 2007. The stadium was rebuilt in 2013 and holds 2400 people with 1248 seated. The youth facilities are basic but the training facilities are poor.

Websiteheader.jpg

HAYES & YEADING UNITED INITIAL SQUAD

MWTKiFP.png

A very small squad with just 13 active playerrs, including three on non-contracts. It's clear I'll need to invest in the transfer market, but the free transfer market at that. I'll look to obtain a left defender, striker and central midfielder as with the players available we've had to go 4-4-1-1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back