A new Victorian club?

Remove this Banner Ad

What is with the crap that GWS and the Gold Coast don't belong in the competition, because they are allegedly plastic and have no heritage. What a load of absolute crap. No surprises that the comments are coming from supporters of Victorian clubs - go figure!

GWS have accelerated past Gold Coast and their development are country miles ahead of the SUNS. They are playing a fantastic brand of football and I am envious. Just because they are new clubs does not mean they are plastic or are "franchises". For firetrucks sake, some of the so-called "traditional" clubs aren't far off plastic franchises anyway.

If Victorian clubs are apparently struggling because of the introduction of new clubs, then instead of blaming the new clubs, they should instead lift their game.

The Gold Coast probably are at risk of either a merger or folding or rebranding (ala Brisbane Bears) but they are a few years off that yet.

The NRL will bring back Newtown, Glebe and Annandale before a new Victorian club is introduced- even if it's Fitzroy.

In a perfect world, one in regional VIC would be great, but it won't happen anytime soon.
The Doggies have a handy expansion option should things go sour. They've played a few out of Bendigo I think?

The Doggies have a handy expansion option should things go sour. They've played a few out of Bendigo I think?
Surely the dogs need to stick out west to grow the game.
The clubs to move should be the ones congregating around the cbd.

What is with the crap that GWS and the Gold Coast don't belong in the competition, because they are allegedly plastic and have no heritage. What a load of absolute crap. No surprises that the comments are coming from supporters of Victorian clubs - go figure!

GWS have accelerated past Gold Coast and their development are country miles ahead of the SUNS. They are playing a fantastic brand of football and I am envious. Just because they are new clubs does not mean they are plastic or are "franchises". For firetrucks sake, some of the so-called "traditional" clubs aren't far off plastic franchises anyway.

If Victorian clubs are apparently struggling because of the introduction of new clubs, then instead of blaming the new clubs, they should instead lift their game.

The Gold Coast probably are at risk of either a merger or folding or rebranding (ala Brisbane Bears) but they are a few years off that yet.

The NRL will bring back Newtown, Glebe and Annandale before a new Victorian club is introduced- even if it's Fitzroy.

It would be quite handy for the afl to merge gold coast and the kangaroos. And then bring in Tasmania or wa3.

It would be quite handy for the afl to merge gold coast and the kangaroos. And then bring in Tasmania or wa3.

I would support a North - GC merger however the issue lies with North previously rejecting a relocation package worth millions in 2007/2008, and with North preforming well over the last few years especially at the moment. North wouldn't consider anything like a merger or relocation again unless they were dire.

You're just b*tthurt because your clubs heritage and history is tarnished by insipid and disgraceful performances and management for the last few years.

On the contrary my club is a founding member - has broken every record Aussie Rules can hope to have (most attendances, most goals in grand final you name it, the Blues have done it) including winning a final from 9th. Which no other club will ever do again.

I hate plastic clubs with a passion, I want them to die -- are you ok with that?

On the contrary my club is a founding member - has broken every record Aussie Rules can hope to have (most attendances, most goals in grand final you name it, the Blues have done it) including winning a final from 9th. Which no other club will ever do again.

I hate plastic clubs with a passion, I want them to die -- are you ok with that?

LOL. You keep living in the past. Reality might catch up with you eventually.

Founding member or not - the Blues are insipid and are more of a disgrace to the game than Gold Coast are.

Surely it'll be a race between Ballarat and Bendigo, whichever is the bigger city by 2045.

Bendigo is projected to widen its gap on Ballarat in the population department by then, but that's irrelevant. There will not be an AFL team here in one year or one thousand years. Selling out 30,000 seats for 11 games a year, I can't see this happening in either city.

LOL. You keep living in the past. Reality might catch up with you eventually.

Founding member or not - the Blues are insipid and are more of a disgrace to the game than Gold Coast are.

No the Blues are fine just rebuilding been through a similar drought in the 1940-1960s and came and went bang and won a few.. I know my clubs DNA don't worry about that.

I don't understand DNA in plastic clubs I did not know plastic had DNA

On field we are a bit of a rabble, but off field we are starting to make the right choices and making those connections with the locals and businesses in the area. We have notoriety on the GC and brand awareness, when we start winning games we should start drawing more members in. We aren't there yet, but we are moving in the right direction.

No I don't think the AFL should go down this route.

But its interesting to consider if a brand new expansion club in Victoria would garner enough support to be successful.

Surely there must be some football fans who for one reason or another do not follow any of the existing national comp teams.
There's already too many teams in Victoria, add another and you'd essentially be killing the Bulldogs/St Kilda/Melbourne.

Honestly I don't even know why you'd start this thread when even you said you don't think the AFL should go down this route

Maybe Co-location like GWS? Play most home games in Melbourne with a handful out of Ballarat or Bendigo.

How can Bendigo be considered an expansion option if every fan here already has their own team and they'd get a bigger crowd at Etihad anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...largest salary cap breach record.

Let's not forget that record.

Not denying their football.

I am denying their existence in a competition full of heritage and history and clubs like GWS do not merit belonging in this competition without the hard yards like all other clubs. Hawthorn was founded in 1902 and entered the VFL in 1925 after doing the hard yards,, so can not call that club plastic they have the scars to enter an elite competition which every club has the scars in its history books. GWS can **** right off and do the hard yards.

So what you're saying is * off West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS. Sounds like a fun VFL plus Port Adelaide.

Any ideas on how to get the rest of Australia watching?

Seems like many fans are big game attendees these days. Perhaps to test the waters of regional teams we can start getting low drawing Melbourne clubs near the bottom of the ladder to play a few matches in those places.

Might need to be the plan of a possible Docklands sell and rebuild. I found Eddies suggestion of a new stadium right next to the MCG as ridiculous. The stadiums should be getting further apart to cover more population.

Eddie wanted two Collingwood home grounds right next to Collingwoods training base and wanted the league and the taxpayer to pay for it.

He was so subtle he even proposed to put it right next to the Collingwood training base, even though there's already a tennis stadium and train lines there.

Rather than the acres of parkland around the G, or Punt Rd which is already a footy ground FFS.

He has no shame and thinks everybody else is an idiot. He's a ******* who has drank far too much of his own bathwater.

They had their c

So what you're saying is **** off West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS. Sounds like a fun VFL plus Port Adelaide.

Any ideas on how to get the rest of Australia watching?

No * off to Sydney, Brisbane and Port Adelaide they are heritage based clubs.

West Coast and Fremantle should be based on succesfull WA state league clubs or an amalgamation of few clubs into one.

But having said that - I admire Freo doing the hard yards.

GWS and Gold Coast is a new level of plasticness.

When I was a kid my greatest wish was for a Flemington based AFL team.

They would be known as the Flemington Dinosaurs.

Flemington Tarps has a nice ring?

upload_2016-5-6_20-36-38.png

Just joking. I'm sure they'd be a big success. :p

No **** off to Sydney, Brisbane and Port Adelaide they are heritage based clubs.

West Coast and Fremantle should be based on succesfull WA state league clubs or an amalgamation of few clubs into one.

You're funny.

No **** off to Sydney, Brisbane and Port Adelaide they are heritage based clubs.

The Southport Sharks were looked at as a potential club, however it was felt that it would alienate too many potential supporters as what happened with Port Adelaide entering the comp.

a team in Fitzroy would be nice

Hmm. We could call them 'Fitzroy' and have as their nickname the Reds. When they played Carlton it would be the Reds vs the Blues. :yum:

Maybe wearing a jumper like this?

Fitzroy-1983.gif

Last edited:

Brisbane entered the league long before a merger was tabled.
The Swans license was owned by Geoff Edelsten at one point. Great heritage there...

The WA clubs are based on history. West Coast are based on the sand-gropers or the WAFL in general, i feel. Listen to their original club song: "you stole our best ******* players, but they're ours now campaigners" (words to that effect, paraphrasing, etc). Fremantle is representative of a couple of clubs bearing their name, an homage if you will.

Gold Coast and GWS will form their own identity soon. I would have preferred Southport being admitted into the league but i understand why that was mooted pretty early on.

No the Blues are fine just rebuilding been through a similar drought in the 1940-1960s and came and went bang and won a few.. I know my clubs DNA don't worry about that.

I don't understand DNA in plastic clubs I did not know plastic had DNA

You are seriously delusional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back