Preview A Noir Night At The Pineapple: Brisbane Lions V Gold Coast Suns - Round 5 @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with you about Bastinac last year. On form Bewick is in best 22 at the moment, so he should stay. You can't drop performing players, when so many haven't been. Others such as Mayes, Cutler, Bailey or Taylor should come out for him before Bewick, I think.
Agree that others would be in the firing line before hand but in my proposed changes I also dropped Mayes. I wouldn't say Bewick has been "performing". He has been ok but if he wants to remain in the senior side on going I think he needs to do more. I think it is fair to judge him in a harsher manner than someone like Bailey due to the fact that he is in his 8th season and someone like Taylor has more runs on the board. You could argue Cutler deserves to go out before him though I agree with that.

Agree that others would be in the firing line before hand but in my proposed changes I also dropped Mayes. I wouldn't say Bewick has been "performing". He has been ok but if he wants to remain in the senior side on going I think he needs to do more. I think it is fair to judge him in a harsher manner than someone like Bailey due to the fact that he is in his 8th season and someone like Taylor has more runs on the board. You could argue Cutler deserves to go out before him though I agree with that.
Fair enough. Agreed. The other issue is match ups and game plan, which makes picking the side a tricky business. We need to get it right this week.

Not sure why it is mind boggling considering Lester is averaging more CP per game than Matho and absolutely dominated against the Sydney reserves in both CP and CLR. Matho is definitely a better clearance player but Lester has a lot of attributes like leadership, being able to play forward, mid or back and has more experience.

Will we swap Matho for Lester? Who knows but asking the question is hardly mind boggling.
Lester dominates at Neafl.His last two years av disposal 12 in 2016,16 last year and 15 this year.He is not a contested ball winning midfielder in the seniors.Can he play a role for us?Yes.Is that role that Matho is playing for us?No.Matho definately has to work on defensive run and disposal under heat(went at 86%)on the weekend but he is a player in his third year and has more improvement to come.Lester is there in his prime 7tth year he is not the answer to any midfield role.

Quick question or 2.

Am thinking of going up to the Gabba for this game and as we have Suns memberships we get general admission access. Do the GA section fill up quickly at the Gabba and will we have any trouble getting seats for me, my wife and 10 year old daughter.
Also what is the difference between GA and standard seating?
Think GA is at ground level. Suggest you get to the ground reasonably early as I believe the GA fills reasonably quickly and there should be a few Suns supporters travelling up the road

Quick question or 2.

Am thinking of going up to the Gabba for this game and as we have Suns memberships we get general admission access. Do the GA section fill up quickly at the Gabba and will we have any trouble getting seats for me, my wife and 10 year old daughter.
Also what is the difference between GA and standard seating?
Generally fill up quickly but for this game, since the Gold coast play all their early game away I think there will be suns fans there as I think its the only time they will see their team in the first 12 rounds until their ground is back open. Also for the first game a big chunk of the public area was taken up with the stupid Heiniken Bar where they constructed a deck out over the public seating at the visitors end behind the goals of all places. The poor Melbourne cheer squad and fans got squeezed to the point posts it seemed. My son's mate tried to buy a public ticket half an hour before the match at the gate and it was sold out although the stands seemed empty.

After riding the games pretty hard for the first 3 weeks I was pretty deflated by the performance put in last weekend. No excuses though, I just think the brand of footy we're trying to institute and was witnessed in the first 3 rounds is pretty taxing physically on a young side and Richmond are the current benchmark for contested pressure. If I see the same intensity of the first 3 rounds, with a touch more polish, I'll walk away happy regardless of the result. I'd like to give beast one more week before he hits the ressies but as others have said, he needs to lift as do others. Lions by 18.

Generally fill up quickly but for this game, since the Gold coast play all their early game away I think there will be suns fans there as I think its the only time they will see their team in the first 12 rounds until their ground is back open. Also for the first game a big chunk of the public area was taken up with the stupid Heiniken Bar where they constructed a deck out over the public seating at the visitors end behind the goals of all places. The poor Melbourne cheer squad and fans got squeezed to the point posts it seemed. My son's mate tried to buy a public ticket half an hour before the match at the gate and it was sold out although the stands seemed empty.
Don’t try and buy GA tickets on game day. They are almost always “sold out”.

Yet the last two years I’ve been to games, behind the goals on the western side has never been more than 3/4 full.

I also assume, people buy GA tickets and move to other parts of the ground, because I see a fair amount of movement out of the area during the first and second quarters.

Lester dominates at Neafl.His last two years av disposal 12 in 2016,16 last year and 15 this year.He is not a contested ball winning midfielder in the seniors.Can he play a role for us?Yes.Is that role that Matho is playing for us?No.Matho definately has to work on defensive run and disposal under heat(went at 86%)on the weekend but he is a player in his third year and has more improvement to come.Lester is there in his prime 7tth year he is not the answer to any midfield role.
Even if Lester does run both ways in the midfield his lack of leg speed makes it a moot point.

Injury List
Daniel Rich faced a slight setback last week in his recovery from an ankle injury that occured in Round 1. Rich will not be right to play this week as he continues his rehab. He remains a week to week proposition.

Mitchell Hinge will be a test this week after a hamstring tweak during a NEAFL match two weeks ago.

Toby Wooller continues his recovery from surgery on his hand, while Jack Payne continues his recovery from a shin injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully they kept their spirits up this week. Would have been easy for some negativity to creep in after last weeks performance.

Need to focus on what we do well and give the plastic fantastics a thumping.

GO LIONS

Not really. It's common to see Matho running 15 to 20 metres away from the opposition ball carrier and not making up ground. He doesn't apply pressure through running or provide offensive options either. He doesn't spread well from contests, offensively and defensively... he might start something off, but that's it, and his disposal efficiency is typically not high. He's not suffering from leather poisoning either...
I think Lester clearly offers more at the moment.
Not sure I have ever seen Lester chase n catch anyone or look like he is trying to catch someone....just goes through the motions.

Not sure I have ever seen Lester chase n catch anyone or look like he is trying to catch someone....just goes through the motions.

Yep...

bris.jpg

Ryan LESTER
#35 Brisbane

Height: 192cm Weight: 87kg Position:
2017 Digest: Surprisingly captained club in JLT opener against Suns. Even effort against the Dogs. He’s fit and prepared.

2017 NAB Cup:

2017 Season
1 GCS Booted a goal and made four tackles. Useful across half forward line. 4
2 Ess Came to life in second half when Lions staged gusty fightback. Kicked a telling third quarter goal and had a hand in three others. 6
3 StK Started on a wing and drifted in and out but needed to find more ball than just 12 touches. 5
4 Rich Field kicking let him down and he also found Rance hard to shrug. 5
5 WB Played both ends. Kicked two goals while forward but effectiveness not enormous from 11 effective disposals. 5
6 Port OK without starring, 16 possessions and a goal. 5
7 Syd Used at both ends of the ground, and on a wing. Snuck out the back a few times to create scores. 6
8 Haw Was able to make an impact when he was moved into the middle. 20 disposals were promising. 5
9 Adel Held-up ok across half-back but like most of his teammates in defence he was under siege all night. 5
10 Coll For a player of his experience (90 games) he doesn’t give enough. Only nine possessions a bitterly disappointing day. 2
11 Bye.
12 Frem Started in attack before moved onto a wing. Accumulated more than 20 disposals although not overly influential. 6
13 Port Started as the focal point at full forward before shifting to defence to create the extra man. 6
14 GWS Earned a goal in opening quarter after a great follow-up effort to his own pass. Ended with two but his were too few. 5
15 Ess In defence he made a couple of errors at some stages. More than made up for it with big mark and goal late in game. 5
16 Geel Came off the bench to fill a number of roles including standing Selwood but never excelled. 4
17 Rich Made some poor choices in first half and wasn’t able to impact the game. Struggled when asked to defend. 3
18 Carl Came off the bench to be a strong influence in opening goal blitz. Also registered a second term major. Then had a hand in defence. 7
19 WCE Worked hard to collect 23 disposals. 6
20 WB Did a few good things but again his lackadaisical style brings him unstuck. 5
21 GCS Celebrated his 100th game with two goals and had a spell successfully shadowing Miller in second half. 7
22 Melb Looked a little sluggish at times and was caught with the ball too many times; 18 disposals. 4
23 NM Wasn’t a significant performer and his day ended when he landed heavily from a tackle and was dazed. 3
2016 Season
1 WCE Made the most of his possessions by setting up others inside 50. 5
2 NM Tried hard but failed to flatter. 3
3 Geel No impact whatsoever playing predominantly up forward. Five kicks and one behind all he could muster. 2
4 GCS Struggled against the close-checking of Saad. 4
5 WB Worked up from the forward 50 to make an impact. One who can hold his head high. 6
6 Syd On the improve. More valuable than 11 disposals may indicate. 6
7 Port Worked hard for a clever goal in the second term. 3
8 Coll Battled hard in attack but another who found the Magpies defence too strong. 5
9 Melb Kicked two goals and nipped in and out of contest. Nine contested possessions, two inside-50s. 6
10 Haw Limited impact up forward and in the midfield. Place in the side will come under scrutiny. 2
11 Leg.
12 Leg.
13 WCE Too easily beaten by Barrass/Shepherd. No excuses. 3
14 Rich A few poor chases and efforts defensively but got his hands on the ball a bit through the middle. 4
16 GCS Kept Day quiet in first half and was OK throughout. 6
17 GWS Outclassed by Patton in an undermanned Lions defence. 4
18 NEAFL Among Lions’ best. Worked hard in close, had eight clearances and kicked 2.2. -
19 Port Given run-around by Impey and Gray but stuck at it against the odds. 5
20 Adel Five tackles, four clearances and not much else. 3
21 Carl A second-quarter goal his highlight although he was involved in three scoring assists. 4
22 Geel Failed to flatter playing a variety of roles. Hardly sighted around the ball. 2
23 StK Noticeable early and not the worst. 5
2015 Season
1 Coll Never settled into minding Varcoe or any of the Magpie forwards. 4
2 NM Tried hard but had minimal impact. 3
3 NEAFL Steady effort with 19 possessions but didn’t waste one. -
4 NEAFL 24 touches and a goal. Played his role. -
5 NEAFL 21 touches and two goals. Did all he could. -
6 Carl Key goal in third term proved to be vital. Pretty quiet apart from that. 4
7 Port Big mark and goal basically sealed the match. 5
8 Ess Two goals early and also spent time on Watson. 5
9 StK Burned brightly early and finished with four goals. 7
10 GWS Well contained by Giants defenders and mids. 4
12 WB Initially in negating match-up on Murphy. Couldn’t stop him. 4
13 NEAFL Put hand up for senior recall with 25 possessions, goal. -
14 Frem Unable to have much of an impact on a number of opponents. 3
15 NEAFL Did some good work in both arcs. Kicked a goal. -
16 Knee.
17 Knee.
18 Knee.
19 Knee.
20 Knee.
21 Knee.
22 Knee.
23 Knee.
2014 Season
1 Haw One of the bright spots. Had it 20 times and looked composed. 6
2 Geel Used in defence and steady without setting the world on fire. 4
3 GCS Ran hard all night and was a good link player. 5
4 Senior emergency.
5 Rich Busy from start to finish. 6
6 StK Tagging Montagna at the start but won a share of the ball. 6
7 Syd In the thick of the action from the start. Battled hard. 7
8 Ess High ratio of handballs in hard-working no-frills game. 5
9 NM Kept battling hard against big odds. 6
11 NEAFL Tried up forward as a leading target but it wasn’t a big day. -
12 NEAFL Good in the middle of the game in the second and third terms. -
13 NEAFL Good until going off at half-time as senior emergency. -
14 NEAFL Bye. -
15 NM Subbed off in third term with quad injury yet still had 10 touches. 5
16 Rich Tough and hard all day at man and ball in a gritty display. 7
17 WCE Mainly responsible for minding Shuey who was the Eagles’ best player. 5
18 GCS Celebrated 50th game with a win and a good contribution. 5
19 Melb Just 10 touches and wasn’t a factor. 2
20 NEAFL Instrumental around the stoppages with 39 disposals. -
21 NEAFL Best afield until being rested in the second half. -
22 NEAFL Solid in the contest winning eight clearances. -
23 Geel Worked hard and used the footy with care when he got it. 7
QF -
SF -
PF -
GF -
2013 Season
1 Senior emergency.
2 Adel Found the going too tough on Jenkins but valiant in his efforts. 4
3 NEAFL 20 to half time then pulled out with tightness in third term. -
4 Rested.
5 Senior emergency.
6 Syd Best game for Brisbane: 27 touches and a goal in a nice display. 7
7 WCE Really good at the clearances until subbed out for Black. 6
8 Ess Did some nice things playing mostly across half forward/midfield. 6
9 Carl Quiet first two quarter but picked up after half time. 6
10 Coll Not a factor down back. 3
12 Frem Given jobs in midfield and worked hard. 6
13 Geel Won’t get huge credit but did some good things at the right time. 6
14 Haw Had a fair game and was effective. 5
15 GCS Subbed in during third term and still had 10 disposals. Satisfactory. 5
16 NM Beaten early by Tarrant but still effective. 5
17 Melb Sub. On for Lisle and got involved straight away. 3
18 Injured.
19 Senior emergency.
20 Rich Got the ball in dangerous positions but rarely found a target going inside 50. 4
21 GWS Only subbed in for last term and still managed 13 touches. 4
22 WB Matched on Young and made a contribution. 5
23 Geel Had chance to win it with a snap in final seconds but munged it. 6
QF
SF
PF
GF
2012 Season
1 Melb Only five touches to half time and 12 for match. Quiet given size of win. 3
2 Carl Lively with a couple of first-half goals and ended down back in final term. 5
3 Frem Did pretty well against taller opponents under pressure. 5
4 GCS Saw off Fraser and part of a very effective defensive unit. 6
5 Geel Had his hands full minding Chapman who won the battle. 5
6 Ess Ran well out of defence, with seven rebounds from 50m in his 18 disposals. 5
8 GWS Did some noticeable things but few and far between. 5
9 NM Sub came on midway through third term. 2
10 WCE Gathered disposals without making too much of an impact. 5
12 Haw Won some clearances and was in the better half of Brisbane players. 5
13 WB Only limited touches playing a role between defence and midfield. 4
14 Melb Opposed to Sylvia and had his colors lowered. 4
15 Syd Very quiet after coming off bench and suffered from some poor ball use. 3
17 GCS Did a bit at both ends of the ground. 5
18 WCE Didn’t hurt West Coast when he got the ball. 4
19 NEAFL Collected a game-high 38 disposals in NEAFL debut. -
20 Carl Among the better performers. Willingness to attack stood out. 7
21 Adel Another who was in the mix of solid performers. 5
22 Port Tough conditions made his role difficult in defence. 4
23 WB Subbed out at last change with 17 disposals. 6

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116391/Ryan-LESTER

I don't think he goes through the motions and neither does Matho, but yes, they share the same weakness in regards to speed... but that wasn't my whole argument.

If Lester was to be delisted I’d be very keen for him to be out on the rookie list.

Interesting when you look at Disposal Efficiency across the whole competition. There is a perception Mathieson has poor disposal. Our best is Harris Andrews at 83.9% efficiency and 38th overall across the competition. Then Darcy Gardiner 82.3%, Nick Robertson 81.4% Witherden 79.3% Lewi Taylor 78.4% and McStay at 76.95 then Beast Mode 76.7% efficiency. Of our midfield types playing in the heavy traffic he is the most effective above Zorko, Beams, Berry, McCluggage, Christensen, Hodge, M Robertson, Martin and Cameron.

Interesting when you look at Disposal Efficiency across the whole competition. There is a perception Mathieson has poor disposal. Our best is Harris Andrews at 83.9% efficiency and 38th overall across the competition. Then Darcy Gardiner 82.3%, Nick Robertson 81.4% Witherden 79.3% Lewi Taylor 78.4% and McStay at 76.95 then Beast Mode 76.7% efficiency. Of our midfield types playing in the heavy traffic he is the most effective above Zorko, Beams, Berry, McCluggage, Christensen, Hodge, M Robertson, Martin and Cameron.
Maybe it's the way he will on occasions wheel out of a pack and throw it on the boot with a big kick forward without looking that catches our eyes more. Interesting stat.

Maybe it's the way he will on occasions wheel out of a pack and throw it on the boot with a big kick forward without looking that catches our eyes more. Interesting stat.
He isnt the only culprit there though. I think this year he does tend to look for the handball option first most of the time.

I don't think he goes through the motions and neither does Matho, but yes, they share the same weakness in regards to speed... but that wasn't my whole argument.
I don't think Rhys's weakness is one he has on his own. In fact, I believe he & several other mids have the same issue. That being they simply don't have the investment in gut running down back when the ball has turned over. They all run hard when we have the ball in attack but often when the ball is with the opposition, they drop their heads, and plod back instead of running with their opposing mids. It really is obvious and makes me angry that they leave their team mates down back in the lurch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back