A non-footy probability question.

I am wondering if anyone can help me.

My son has been given a spreadsheet by his maths teacher.

It has a dice game on it. The aim is to score 100 points.

You roll two 6-sided dice 36 times, score 5 points for a non-double, and -5 points for a double.

With 6 out of 36 combinations being doubles, you would expect a score of

(6 * -5) + (30 * 5) = 120

But we keep getting scores of about 0 or less.

At this point I am thinking there is something wrong with the spreadsheet macro, but my son says "the teacher says there is a trick, and it is right in front of us".

Anyone?

I am wondering if anyone can help me.

My son has been given a spreadsheet by his maths teacher.

It has a dice game on it. The aim is to score 100 points.

You roll two 6-sided dice 36 times, score 5 points for a non-double, and -5 points for a double.

With 6 out of 36 combinations being doubles, you would expect a score of

(6 * -5) + (30 * 5) = 120

But we keep getting scores of about 0 or less.

At this point I am thinking there is something wrong with the spreadsheet macro, but my son says "the teacher says there is a trick, and it is right in front of us".

Anyone?
Can you see the roll outcomes?

If you are getting scores of about zero points, are you getting as many doubles as non-doubles? If so, can you track the dice outcomes and see if they are fair?

Can you confirm that you are actually being awarded 5 points for a non-double and -5 for a double?

• Admin
Can you see the roll outcomes?

If you are getting scores of about zero points, are you getting as many doubles as non-doubles? If so, can you track the dice outcomes and see if they are fair?

Can you confirm that you are actually being awarded 5 points for a non-double and -5 for a double?
Yes the spreadsheet shows 2 dice each time you press a button to roll.

Unless the dice are not numbered 1to 6?

We'll run it through and record the rolls to see if they have the same number multiple times.

Yes the spreadsheet shows 2 dice each time you press a button to roll.

Unless the dice are not numbered 1to 6?

We'll run it through and record the rolls to see if they have the same number multiple times.
How did you go?

Back