All Australian
Sep 15, 2005
Melburne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Just a word or two about Luke Ball, first some stats about our group this year:

Beams no 1 total effective disposals (542 to Mitchell's 2nd on 491)
Beams no 1 total disposals
Beams no 6 total inside 50's
Beams no 2 total super coach
Beams no 1 total dream team score
Beams no 1 total uncontested possessions
Beams no 9 total clearances
Beams no 15 total contested possessions

Swan no 3 total effective disposals
Swan no 9 total clearances
Swan no 3 total uncontested posessions
Swan no 2 total dream team score
Swan no 17 total contested possessions

Sidebottom no 8 total effective disposals
Sidebottom no 7 total dream team score
Sidebottom no 12 total running bounces

Pendles no 14 total effective disposals
Pendles no 11 total contested possessions
Pendels no 13 total clearances

Those are AFL league totals, so it matters how many games you played. One thing to notice is that despite not having anyone who is top ten in contested possessions, our midfield gets a lot of footy and uses it effectively.

BUT:

Two areas where we had NO ONE anywhere NEAR the top 10 or even top 20 in the comp where in tackles and goal assists.

total tackles (Pendles, 25th)
total goal assists (Swan, equal 39th)

Those are two important stats., the first, tackles, directly reduces the number of effective disposals your opposition gets, and the second sets up your score.

Now look at those same stats for 2011:

total tackles Ball 4th in 2011
total goal assists Ball equal 5th in 2011

Now we all maybe knew that Ball was a tackling machine for us, but how many realised that he also set up more goals than any bar 4 other player in the comp?

Luke Ball brings something to our side that we desperately lacked this year: defensive pressure through the midfield and intelligent and constructive use going into the forward 50.

Can't wait to have him back.

One other thing, when you have a bloke who is constantly laying bone crunching tackles on your Kennedy's and your Mitchells, it means that your Pendles and your Swans are competing for that next contested ball against the next tear down, and if you look at contested possessions for 2011, you will see that Pendles and Swan both feature in the top ten.

Ball will make a difference for us.

Also, gotta say, that Beams was our best midfielder bar none this year, his numbers are incredible. To lead the COMP in effective disposals through the midfield and still come second in our goal kicking is just amazing.

Sidebottom a little underrated this year too, got a lot of footy, used it well, and ran his guts out. good year for him.

Two areas where we had NO ONE anywhere NEAR the top 10 or even top 20 in the comp where in tackles and goal assists.

Those are two important stats., the first, tackles, directly reduces the number of effective disposals your opposition gets, and the second sets up your score.

Now look at those same stats for 2011:

total tackles Ball 4th in 2011
total goal assists Ball equal 5th in 2011

Now we all maybe knew that Ball was a tackling machine for us, but how many realised that he also set up more goals than any bar 4 other player in the comp?

Luke Ball brings something to our side that we desperately lacked this year: defensive pressure through the midfield and intelligent and constructive use going into the forward 50.

Can't wait to have him back.

One other thing, when you have a bloke who is constantly laying bone crunching tackles on your Kennedy's and your Mitchells, it means that your Pendles and your Swans are competing for that next contested ball against the next tear down, and if you look at contested possessions for 2011, you will see that Pendles and Swan both feature in the top ten.

Ball will make a difference for us.

Also, gotta say, that Beams was our best midfielder bar none this year, his numbers are incredible. To lead the COMP in effective disposals through the midfield and still come second in our goal kicking is just amazing.

Sidebottom a little underrated this year too, got a lot of footy, used it well, and ran his guts out. good year for him.

Could not have said it better. Anyone who says Ball is not required in 2013 is an idiot. Love the way he goes about it.

Beams was behind Ablett, Mitchell and Boyd for total disposals... not sure where u got ur stats from/if u were making different references to Collingwood and the entire AFL. But yes, Ball is extremely important and will make our team much better next year with his tackling. Surprised about his goal assists.

There are probably only 10 other players like Ball in the AFL and most are in the top 8, lose a player like him and you are severely disadvantaged. Guys like Mitchell, Priddis, Selwood, Swallow, Watson - midfields revolve around them.

Beams was behind Ablett, Mitchell and Boyd for total disposals... not sure where u got ur stats from/if u were making different references to Collingwood and the entire AFL. But yes, Ball is extremely important and will make our team much better next year with his tackling. Surprised about his goal assists.

There are probably only 10 other players like Ball in the AFL and most are in the top 8, lose a player like him and you are severely disadvantaged. Guys like Mitchell, Priddis, Selwood, Swallow, Watson - midfields revolve around them.

My stats include finals.

My love for Bally is embarrassing. If we had a whole team full of players with his attitude to Footy and on field efforts week in, week out it'd be a team that would be impossible to beat.

Same here, not ashamed to admit i have a gigantic man crush on him! Can't wait to see him running around again next year for the black and white.

We know Ball is super important. What else is new?

Luke Ball releases the others to unleash.

Luke Ball being in and under means the others have the confidence to spread from the clearance safe knowing that odds are, the ball is coming out their way thanks to him.

This gives our midfield that perceived 'speed and spread
factor that isn't technically there without Ball.

He's not our "BEST" midfielder, but there's a very decent argument to say he's our most important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Ball being in and under means the others have the confidence to spread from the clearance safe knowing that odds are, the ball is coming out their way thanks to him.

He's not our "BEST" midfielder, but there's a very decent argument to say he's our most important.
our second best mid imo - on 2011 form anyway. Hopefully he gets his fitness back to that lvel

I still cant believe - three years later - that St Kilda let him go. And I am still astounded by Lyon's treatment of him. What were the saints thinking? Luke has been a fantastic contributor to the Collingwood Football Club since the day he walked in the door.

I think this season has proved that. Always was a fan of Luke even when at St Kilda but until I started watching him more frequently I didn't realise how good he was. Its now easy to understand why he was rated the equal of Hodge and Judd when they were drafted.
Am also pleased that Luke is going to retire with at least one flag. Would also like him to win a GF against another team than St Kilda so he could really enjoy it.
A true leader and I hope we keep him post-playing career (not that I'm retiring him yet)

Watching the Copeland tonight brought back memories of Ball's speech last year.
Still feel for him for missing so much of this year.

He is going to be back with fire in his belly next year, can't wait.

when Ball went down in rd 3 I wrote the year off, like heaps of others. if we'd had him all year - other injuries notwithstanding - our finish might have been quite different.

I'm concerned tho, at how much expectation is placed on him to fire 2013, post injury. I'd desperately like us to provide some mature age big bodied backup to Ball. Beams and pendles aren't useless on the inside but are wasted spending stoppages at the bottom of the pack.

Quite clearly missed this man around the packs in the finals. That's his type of footy, and his composure and ferocity whenever the ball his in his area was probably key in our midfield struggling as a unit compared to past years.

Can't wait to see him back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back