A place for the BIG full forward

Remove this Banner Ad

ploppy

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
She is too fat to play footy to a high level, however she is lucky that the womens game hasn't reached that level so her size is very effective (just like the butterballs in Div6R). As the game gets better we wont see women built like that.

Just like in the mens game.
I believe this theory hasn't been tested in the men's game since plugger Lockett. In my opinion there is room for the 180 kg full forward Grenville Dietrich/ tim Evans style at afl level. I would love us to try one because they are super hard to man up on and plugger would still kick 100 even today.

mod's note: New thread started from existing discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this theory hasn't been tested in the men's game since plugger Lockett. In my opinion there is room for the 180 kg full forward Grenville Dietrich/ tim Evans style at afl level. I would love us to try one because they are super hard to man up on and plugger would still kick 100 even today.

180 kg's!!! Grenville, Timmy or Lockett were nowhere near that. Not even Grenville after he retired reached that weight.

Last edited:
Grenville Dietrich is probably a reasonable comparison to Perkins in that he always looked no where near fit enough to be playing high level sport, but was very effective.

There was another chook's full forward though who may have been a better comparison.

Older posters may remember Dennis Sachse from the late 60's early 70's.
Dennis would have only been about 6' 1 in the old money, and I would think at least 130 kg, bits of him used to wobble when he ran, but he still scored goals regularly, including 4 in a winning gf performance in 1972 against the Maggies.

That was the game where Randall Gerlach took 15 or 16 marks at chf, and finished with something like 1 g 10 b, plus numerous shots that went out on the full. :'(

Port fullback Ray Hayes ( who was suspended for the 1972 gf ) used to have some tremendous no holds barred tussles with Sachse in that era.
I stood alongside Ray, just to the right of the scoreboard during that gf and I'm sure fat campaigner passed his lips on more than one occasion. ;)

Yes Dennis was a big boy. IIRC there was also a fairly large FF for Centrals at one stage. May have been related to the coach

Yes Dennis was a big boy. IIRC there was also a fairly large FF for Centrals at one stage. May have been related to the coach
Was it Gary Johns?

Gary Jones was the Centrals full forward. He was the nephew of Dennis Jones who coached Centrals 1968-71.

Dennis Sachse kicked 6 goals in the 1972 GF. His official listed height and weight was 189cm and 96kg. He was a big bloke whatever the figures.

hqdefault.jpg

Dennis's brother Neil was an aggressive and athletic CHB who was infamously made a quadriplegic following an on-field collision in his second game with Foostcray.

Chalky Trimboli was at Centrals for a while. Ended up playing for years up in the Barossa for Tanunda. Kicked 100's pretty much every season.

Now he was a big boy.

Gary Jones was the Centrals full forward. He was the nephew of Dennis Jones who coached Centrals 1968-71.

Dennis Sachse kicked 6 goals in the 1972 GF. His official listed height and weight was 189cm and 96kg. He was a big bloke whatever the figures.

hqdefault.jpg

Dennis's brother Neil was an aggressive and athletic CHB who was infamously made a quadriplegic following an on-field collision in his second game with Foostcray.

Sacks, Saxy or Sash? I've heard them called all three.

Sacks, Saxy or Sash? I've heard them called all three.

Sadly I will have to give you a 4th variation. Given it's a German name it would most likely be pronounced Sacks-eh.

For convenience sake I usually pronounced it Sacks, but youtube Americans like Sacks-ee like taxi with an 's' (or Saxy ;)).

hqdefault.jpg

I would be amazed if Dennis was `only ' 96 kg Ford, his calf muscles were bigger than the average bloke's thighs, and his waist was almost as wide as his shoulders, he was bucking huge. :rolleyes:

While your on the hunt, is there any chance you can pull out Randall Gerlach's stats for that 72 gf?:)
I remember his opponent that day was Bohdan Jaworkski, who was a state defender, and may have even represented the Vics after he moved to Hawthorn.

That was the 1971 gf. :'(

So it was. My junior footy team went down from Woomera on our end of season trip - we camped outside the oval all night to get in and it was cold and drizzly all night. Then we waited ages for the GF to begin and it soon all turned to s**t. Bruce Light's goal and the ensuing brawl were the only highlights I can remember :'(

We dossed that night at the People's Palace in Pirie Street (is that still there?) and were kept awake by a Sally Annie sing-song. The final insult to a forgettable trip came the next morning though - our coach was a mad Roosters fan and got our bus to take a little detour to Prospect Oval on the trip back up Main North Road... :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be amazed if Dennis was `only ' 96 kg Ford, his calf muscles were bigger than the average bloke's thighs, and his waist was almost as wide as his shoulders, he was bucking huge. :rolleyes:

While your on the hunt, is there any chance you can pull out Randall Gerlach's stats for that 72 gf?:)
I remember his opponent that day was Bohdan Jaworkski, who was a state defender, and may have even represented the Vics after he moved to Hawthorn.

That will require more hunting. :D

I have heard that Barrie Robran said that game was one of only two times he ever saw Jaworskyj beaten.

I reckon big Randall would have only been 18 or 19 then. I remember seeing him kick 8 from CHF at prospect the same year.

Big den was amazing,remember seeing him kick 23 one day for Ingle Farm.

I reckon big Randall would have only been 18 or 19 then. I remember seeing him kick 8 from CHF at prospect the same year.

If that's the game I'm thinking of, I was there too. Port kicked 11 straight into the second quarter before Bucky missed. Port won by nearly 80 points at Prospect. North had beaten Port at Alberton mid-season and Port won the Anzac Day game at Adelaide Oval.

Big den was amazing,remember seeing him kick 23 one day for Ingle Farm.

I remember him doing a sewing machine ad on the Sunday footy show with those big sausage fingers guiding a hem overlock. Funniest thing ever. Well nearly. :D

If that's the game I'm thinking of, I was there too. Port kicked 11 straight into the second quarter before Bucky missed. Port won by nearly 80 points at Prospect. North had beaten Port at Alberton mid-season and Port won the Anzac Day game at Adelaide Oval.
I always remembered it as 12 straight but you might be right. Russell played at chb that day on Robran. I think they were both best for their team's but Russell beat him on the day. Fos said it was the best one on one battle he saw. He talks about it in the Russell Ebert story.

I always remembered it as 12 straight but you might be right. Russell played at chb that day on Robran. I think they were both best for their team's but Russell beat him on the day. Fos said it was the best one on one battle he saw. He talks about it in the Russell Ebert story.

Might have been 12 too. The next week against Centrals we kicked 1.9 in the first quarter.

I remember seeing the Russell Ebert story and Fos talking about that duel. What a pair of champion footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back