A Player Strike?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns
Has it happened before? Is it a viable option with the ever increasing frustration from players/commentators/supporters with the MRP, rules of the game and other certain issues?

Mark Ricciuto seems to think the players should go the drastic route of a strike this weekend in light of Jack Viney's suspension. Whats everyone think?

I find it ironic that he calls for a strike the weekend Adelaide arent playing. :p

How on earth does a strike work? Players spend the first minute of the game sitting on the ground in protest? Can't see one ever happening.

Has it happened before? Is it a viable option with the ever increasing frustration from players/commentators/supporters with the MRP, rules of the game and other certain issues?

Mark Ricciuto seems to think the players should go the drastic route of a strike this weekend in light of Jack Viney's suspension. Whats everyone think?

I find it ironic that he calls for a strike the weekend Adelaide arent playing. :p

Nope.

Would solve nothing.

Didn't Jobe call for one of these in response to an MRP decision a couple of years ago? It will never happen. Especially in response to the bump dying for the 15th time.
From memory it was the introduction of the sub rule without testing it out properly first.

How on earth does a strike work? Players spend the first minute of the game sitting on the ground in protest? Can't see one ever happening.
They probably dont turn up at all. Not sure why theyd be putting their boots on to strike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a few teams started the strike a few weeks back from looks of the results....

Correct. We've been putting in half-arsed efforts on behalf of the entire cohort of players. It's rather admirable if you ask me.

I wondered about this earlier. Essentially they would be standing up for having a say in the rules and how the game was/is implemented, refereed and penalised. It would certainly be one of the few things that would cause the AFL to actually do something, but I doubt that the players could/would get organised over an issue like this...

Won't ever happen. It's viable. But won't happen. Players wouldn't have the balls. The fans would never organise a fan protest. Couldn't work. Fact is the AFL does what they want. Deal with it or don't watch/turn up

i dont want em to strike - i would love for them to go play - expect no one actually go after the ball ... like, the umpire bounces the ball, and the players just stand there - effectively wot that ruling is asking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back