Analysis A positive rebuilding trend 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we play the same teams, in the same block of games as last year?
Have the teams we played improved or got worse from last year?
Did we play them at home last year and away this year?
So many other things to look at before you can make that call.
Well you can also watch our games and see we haven’t improved overall.
Our only improvement has come from a player we traded in.

You can’t compare direct like that.

A team can improve in wins and percentages this year, that can be seen as an advancement, right? But if every other team has more wins and better percentages this year, then that would make the aforementioned team dead last on the ladder. Which is actually a regression.

Have I confused you?
So we've improved it's just that every other team has improved more?

For those with the thoughts of “big deal when the opposition have thrashed you for 3 quarters, so what if we win the last quarter”?

Well the tables have proven something here:
14. GWS 2W7L2D 77% (57/74)
15. Crows 8W3L 121% (64/53)
16. Dons 2W6L3D 92% (60/65)
17. Kangas 1W10L 44% (39/88)
18. Eagles 1W9L1D 63% (57/91)

The other bottom 5 teams have only been able to win 6 of a possible 44 4th quarters.

So categorically, this implies “s**t teams will likely be thrashed some more in the last quarters.” That was also us last year (winning only about 1/3 of last quarters). This isn’t the same situation with the Crows this year.

There has definitely been a sign of “the Burgess effect” this year when comparing to last year. Fog has been another clear sign of improvement in our fitness profile

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well you can also watch our games and see we haven’t improved overall.
Our only improvement has come from a player we traded in.
Funny, if you are talking seeing improvement. I watch all our games and I do see improvement, individual improvement, Berry has improved, Hately has improved, Fog has improved, Soligo has improved, Team improvement in our contest, Improvement in our team defence, most teams struggle to move the ball against us. What we lack is consistency not improvement. I have seen large patch's of games that we control against very good sides that we didn't have in the last couple of years, we lack the finish in a lot of games, and we have patch's where we fall apart and get punished that have skewed a lot of results. But the method is there that wasn't there 2-3 years ago. Stop looking at the scoreboard, unless you are contending it means less to your improvement than you think. Just another stat.

Rebuilds aren’t like refilling a glass where every bit of water (improvement) clearly shows a higher level. More like a pan where it takes a while to fill the whole bottom and then gradually starts filling. But then starts to fill quickly (40-50 games into players)
This year was all about filling the pan so we could see exactly where we are at

The improvement many wanted to see this year in terms of wins and finishing 11/12th was unlikely as there were so many questions to be answered but also counter productive as we would have ended up just outside the elite picks again

Selection has certainly been frustrating at times with the midfield block - and has been inexcusable from the coaching staff

But we now have clarity - a key back, a top 4 pick mid and a goalkicking small forward are clear targets to complete our rebuild and bring us back to playing finals

Add (imagination only) Dunkley or JHF, Rankine and Cox from Freo in trade and our team is ready to compete for a finals spot - still a step away and this trade/draft period will be very important for the club

Funny, if you are talking seeing improvement. I watch all our games and I do see improvement, individual improvement, Berry has improved, Hately has improved, Fog has improved, Soligo has improved, Team improvement in our contest, Improvement in our team defence, most teams struggle to move the ball against us. What we lack is consistency not improvement. I have seen large patch's of games that we control against very good sides that we didn't have in the last couple of years, we lack the finish in a lot of games, and we have patch's where we fall apart and get punished that have skewed a lot of results. But the method is there that wasn't there 2-3 years ago. Stop looking at the scoreboard, unless you are contending it means less to your improvement than you think. Just another stat.

Comes down to a few basic fundamentals. Have our skills, mainly kicking improved. Has our decision making improved? I'd say no despite having better kicks on the list now, and without improvements in those 2 areas it really matters not how we improve in any other area.

Rebuilds aren’t like refilling a glass where every bit of water (improvement) clearly shows a higher level. More like a pan where it takes a while to fill the whole bottom and then gradually starts filling. But then starts to fill quickly (40-50 games into players)
This year was all about filling the pan so we could see exactly where we are at

The improvement many wanted to see this year in terms of wins and finishing 11/12th was unlikely as there were so many questions to be answered but also counter productive as we would have ended up just outside the elite picks again

Selection has certainly been frustrating at times with the midfield block - and has been inexcusable from the coaching staff

But we now have clarity - a key back, a top 4 pick mid and a goalkicking small forward are clear targets to complete our rebuild and bring us back to playing finals

Add (imagination only) Dunkley or JHF, Rankine and Cox from Freo in trade and our team is ready to compete for a finals spot - still a step away and this trade/draft period will be very important for the club

I look at some of our younger players taken from the last few drafts who a successful rebuild will be based upon:

Thilthorpe
Cook
Pedlar
Schoenberg
McAsey
Jones
McHenry
Hamill
Berry
Butts
Worrell
Fogarty
Sholl
McPherson
Parnell
Gollant
Newchurch

Who from that group have improved this season? Who are in a better position now than they were 12 months ago? Who are performing better?

Berry significantly yes. Fogarty and Parnell. Any others? Stagnation or regression for the rest imho. A couple were already going ok (eg Butts) but haven't gone up a level this season.

Soligo and Rachele have shown more as first year players than most of them. Will they track the same as our other recent draftees?

I look at some of our younger players taken from the last few drafts who a successful rebuild will be based upon:

Thilthorpe
Cook
Pedlar
Schoenberg
McAsey
Jones
McHenry
Hamill
Berry
Butts
Worrell
Fogarty
Sholl
McPherson
Parnell
Gollant
Newchurch

Who from that group have improved this season? Who are in a better position now than they were 12 months ago? Who are performing better?

Berry significantly yes. Fogarty and Parnell. Any others? Stagnation or regression for the rest imho. A couple were already going ok (eg Butts) but haven't gone up a level this season.

Soligo and Rachele have shown more as first year players than most of them. Will they track the same as our other recent draftees?
12 months ago?
Berry
McAsey
Jones
Berry
Fogarty
Parnell
Gollant
Newchurch

Thilthorpe
Cook
Pedlar
Schoenberg
McAsey
Jones
McHenry
Hamill
Berry
Butts
Worrell
Fogarty
Sholl
McPherson
Parnell
Gollant
Newchurch

Newchurch is showing much more than last year. I think he has taken huge steps this year

Gollant is well ahead of this stage last year with a couple of quality AFL games in his resume now

McAsey has shown some improvement
this year off a very low base albeit

I think Hamill has improved - at least getting some consistent football into him

Jones showed some good signs earlier in the year

Hateley has also shown good improvement

A few on your list have had injury issues this year and struggled for consistent games

Schoenberg, Cook and Sholl have been disappointing

In terms of Butts I think he has been a victim of our selection policy at times and the poor patches we have had in games but still holding his own

Not all development needs to happen in the AFL for it to be working towards the end goal.

Did we play the same teams, in the same block of games as last year?
Have the teams we played improved or got worse from last year?
Did we play them at home last year and away this year?
So many other things to look at before you can make that call.
Also just to add to the comparisons, Tex was in the form of his life in 2021 and I think played the majority of the first 2/3 of the season. This year, we had Tex miss around half the season with the suspension and Covid protocols. So effectively, we had a more young forward line this year compared with the same corresponding period in 2021.

That’s not what the trend is telling us. We’ve improved, and the long and short of it..
  • We played like a team that belonged somewhere in the bottom 4 back in 2021.
  • Now in 2022, we’re playing like a team that doesn’t look like a bottom 4. And had we been kicking better in some of our games, we might even be in a position to challenge for the top 8.

I’ll try and do an update in the coming weeks.

That’s not what the trend is telling us. We’ve improved, and the long and short of it..
  • We played like a team that belonged somewhere in the bottom 4 back in 2021.
  • Now in 2022, we’re playing like a team that doesn’t look like a bottom 4. And had we been kicking better in some of our games, we might even be in a position to challenge for the top 8.

I’ll try and do an update in the coming weeks.
Challenge for the top 8 with better kicking eh? That would be substantially better kicking I'd suggest. It's a basic skill not too many of our team seem capable of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Psst...I’ll let you in on a little secret. You’re helping me to learn how online parasites operate. Thanks for the free tutorial all these years. ;)

Nurse! He’s on the computer again!

I think you should focus more on learning what the different sized white sticks signify, and counting up what happens when the funny shaped ball goes through them

Thilthorpe
Cook
Pedlar
Schoenberg
McAsey
Jones
McHenry
Hamill
Berry
Butts
Worrell
Fogarty
Sholl
McPherson
Parnell
Gollant
Newchurch

One for the hasn't got the rewards for it, but I feel decently confident he's in a better position now compared to the end of last season? Thilthorpe.

Thilthorpe absolutely crushed the SANFL in his small run in the div which was a step up from last year. Looks a rather similar story to Fogarty where it looks like he just needs a bit of confidence and that switch will flick more-so then a player who's had a run of initial success and since been tightened up on.

Last edited:
Challenge for the top 8 with better kicking eh? That would be substantially better kicking I'd suggest. It's a basic skill not too many of our team seem capable of.
I wasn’t referring to field kicking, but more the goal kicking. It has been deplorable in the recent weeks. However, we’ve been at least giving ourselves a fighting chance of a win by having a good amount of scoring shots. Unlike us last year in the latter half of the season, where we couldn’t score for s**t.

A fake what? ;)

I think the history of ridiculousness from someone who continues to post ridiculous things is relevant in the assessment of their latest absurdity.

You are a troll though, you often use argumentative fallacies when you disagree, usually designed to generate an emotional response. It's pretty poor that the mods just allow you to continue unchecked, maybe they find it funny.

Your actual footy perspective is not bad, I guess you just like trolling too.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There has definitely been a sign of “the Burgess effect” this year when comparing to last year. Fog has been another clear sign of improvement in our fitness profile

Yes we are definitely running around like hyped up chooks for longer in games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back