Roast A Public Relations Mess- Aug 24th 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Our media team who usually do a great job have completely dropped the ball this year.

It's been one stuff up after another and letting the latest announcement play out as it has should see them all removed from the club.

The way this was handled today will have ramifications for years to come.

Whether you agree with the decision or not, the handling of the Scotts Four was a prime example of how not to retire players.

Amateurish.

Rushed.

Embarrassing.

I am off the mark with this?

Yes.
The 4 players were told last night, none wanted a press conference.
As a fan I want to witness these north legends possibly play their last game in Melbourne.
Geelong did the same thing. No one battered an eyelid.

If they did it now or end of season, everyone is never going to be happy.

It's fine. The only infuriating bit is not explaining why Boomer got sacked.

"All 4 players" is the new catch cry as opposed to telling us how Boomer is an "opportunity cost" yet Thompson and Swallow aren't.

The way this was handled today will have ramifications for years to come.
The email to members aside, Im worried that weve moved on too many at once and damaged the culture of the club.

The email to members aside, Im worried that weve moved on too many at once and damaged the culture of the club.

Destroyed it in a day.

Been saying for the last 6 months that the retirement (NOT "not renewing their contract") of Petrie and Boomer had to be staggered across two years. Petrie this year, Boomer next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disaster. Absolutely no reason to get rid of Boomer this year. My 11yo son is devastated at how his hero and arguably our best player will not be running around for us next year. Will not be rushing in to buy my family membership next year. Club has a lot of explaining to do before I'm convinced of handing over my hard earned. Will be very interested to hear Boomer interviews in the coming days/weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobody has suggested it will, but it will take a long time to recover from the way it was handled.

There is talk is this very thread about damaging the culture of the club.

That's cack.

The 4 outgoing players have had years imprinting what it is to give your all for the club.

If the players that remain do not understand that now they never will.

We win a final or two and that will be the memories from this year not today's shitshow.

Maybe the timing was taken out of the club's hands to an extent when NDS went public with his misgivings about not knowing his future ahead of the last round?

Spud was the only one to not publicly state their case, Boomer did it reluctantly. We have a lot of experience so this will not affect leadership. Hopefully the make McMillian captain, and on day one of training he brings them all together and emphasise how much those guys and others before sacrificed to move the club forward and the best way to honour them is to take up the mantle.

Maybe the timing was taken out of the club's hands to an extent when NDS went public with his misgivings about not knowing his future ahead of the last round?
What a load of crap.

Why just announce in such a rushed and piss poor manner that 4 great servants won't be there next year because NDS wanted to know before the last round?

Just like umpire gate, Brad Scott has opened his mouth without thinking it right through.

Destroyed it in a day.

Been saying for the last 6 months that the retirement (NOT "not renewing their contract") of Petrie and Boomer had to be staggered across two years. Petrie this year, Boomer next year.
We all would've loved to see the guys get to retire on their own terms. However, the sad fact is that they all wanted to play on next year and, whether we like it or not, forced the club's hand. I would have been really happy if Harvey had been given another year. However, now that it's done, I'm looking forward to the new Ziebell-led era that includes a chance to see Majak breaking the shackles that may have been impoosed by the rigidity of the present gameplan. I don't think Majak and Petrie could ever work in tandem, unfortunately. Majak, Browne, Wood with Waite excites me. I'm hoping to see Anderson blossom. He's a guy that Boomer may have cast a shadow over. Mountford and Clarke will be, hopefully, to the fore. Nielson & Durdon - who knows? I can understand what Brayshaw is talking about when he uses the word "reset". However, it is all a big risk, I know. It could all go pearshaped.

crikey Thomo and Swallow are both contracted for 2017, do you want them retired and we pay them out?

Fair enough. I didn't think about Contracts. Guess trade them or they can play 2's all next year. Thompson can play in games against teams with elite small forwards.

Fair enough. I didn't think about Contracts. Guess trade them or they can play 2's all next year. Thompson can play in games against teams with elite small forwards.
Who knows, Thomspson and Swallow might bounce back next year? They have been playing better lately.

There is talk is this very thread about damaging the culture of the club.

That's cack.

The 4 outgoing players have had years imprinting what it is to give your all for the club.

If the players that remain do not understand that now they never will.

The way this was handled today has a far bigger impact than just the playing group.

It's already cost us members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back