Roast A Public Relations Mess- Aug 24th 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the fact that yesterday Boomer came out and said the club was very respectful and handled the situation well, along with Drew saying the same thing today, suggest that the whole premise of this thread is just a little off?

Or are we waiting for NDS to say the same thing before we're sure the players don't think it was mis-handled?

Just askin'
Well of course they would say that....

See post above yours.
What else is he gonna say? Just 'toeing the company line' as they say. He wouldn't want to disrespect the club. Unlike what the club has done to him. And he knows they have unfinished business this season. See what his father said for real response.

Well of course they would say that....
What else is he gonna say? Just 'toeing the company line' as they say. He wouldn't want to disrespect the club. Unlike what the club has done to him. And he knows they have unfinished business this season. See what his father said for real response.
And one post later....

if you wanted to avoid the poor PR you would tell the players that your Intention is not to offer them a contract. That the club reserves the right to change its mind (eg - God forbid - Zondor's Wellsy ACL scenario), but for the purpose of having their family and friends attend their final games, they should assume the worst.

The inevitable leaks could have been denied with some weasel words. ("no final decisions have been made but we clearly need to assess what direction we are taking in 2017, and unfortunately some tough calls are going to have to be made after our finals campaign is done."

20/20 hindsight? Yeah but everyone's expectations could have been managed without the backlash with this approach. It's hardly rocket science.

Mate, perhaps you should add some little scissors as an accessory to your beautifully designed guernseys. That way, you can also cut up any number of memberships to drive home your outrage.

Or instal a mini microwave? Maybe head to the Richmond board for some more ideas.

if you wanted to avoid the poor PR you would tell the players that your Intention is not to offer them a contract. That the club reserves the right to change its mind (eg - God forbid - Zondor's Wellsy ACL scenario), but for the purpose of having their family and friends attend their final games, they should assume the worst.

The inevitable leaks could have been denied with some weasel words. ("no final decisions have been made but we clearly need to assess what direction we are taking in 2017, and unfortunately some tough calls are going to have to be made after our finals campaign is done."

20/20 hindsight? Yeah but everyone's expectations could have been managed without the backlash with this approach. It's hardly rocket science.

Reading between the lines, this was probably the preferred approach until Boomer forced their hand.

Yes. He (and Drew and Spud and Dal) choose to respect the club that he has worked for for over 20 years, and the people he has worked alongside, even though he is very disappointed, as competitive players always are. Some supporters choose to ignore what he is saying, and what he has asked of supporters, because their feelings are more important.

Reading between the lines, this was probably the preferred approach until Boomer forced their hand.
Mate I reckon my suggestion (hardly an original idea) would have appeased him as much as he could be appeased.

I can't help thinking someone saw "farewell game" flash up in Neon, and Round 23 becomes a profit instead of a loss.

The consequence is the PR disaster that we witnessed the last couple of days.

Mate I reckon my suggestion (hardly an original idea) would have appeased him as much as he could be appeased.

I can't help thinking someone saw "farewell game" flash up in Neon, and Round 23 becomes a profit instead of a loss.

The consequence is the PR disaster that we witnessed the last couple of days.

Respectfully, but totally, disagree.

So in short lets not let the facts of a situation get in the way of a good outrage.

More to the point lets ignore the facts so outrage can be maintained.
Hey the facts are that North people rang the club to voice their outrage with some threatening to cancel their memberships. The facts are that North people rang SEN voice their outrage with some threatening to cancel their memberships. The same sentiment of outrage has been expressed on Social Media. That's the reality. That has been the outcome. But yeah the Admin aren't to blame. It aint their fault. There was nothing they could've done to have managed this better. Nothing. Zilch. Yah can't blame the Admin. You keep on telling yourself that. :stern look

Hey but I get it. You're a Bucks Fizz Fan and you live in the Land of Make Believe. And you also like dancing and a prancing with The Zebra. :stern look

Hey the facts are that North people rang the club to voice their outrage with some threatening to cancel their memberships. The facts are that North people rang SEN voice their outrage with some threatening to cancel their memberships. The same sentiment of outrage has been expressed on Social Media. That's the reality. That has been the outcome. But yeah the Admin aren't to blame. It aint their fault. There was nothing they could've done to have managed this better. Nothing. Zilch. Yah can't blame the Admin. You keep on telling yourself that. :stern look

Hey but I get it. You're a Bucks Fizz Fan and you live in the Land of Make Believe. And you also like dancing and a prancing with The Zebra. :stern look

Keep grinding that axe in the face of all logic Zonds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another reality is that Boomer nicely and Drew less nicely have told people reacting like that they are wrong and to pull their heads in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Shaun Higgins injured his meniscus earlier this year was he not sent off for surgery (which has resulted in a 17 week layoff) in an attempt to minimise potential "later in life" issues with his knee? (as opposed to Carlton's approach with Matthew Kreuzer & a similar injury).
Do these sound like the actions of a football department which is disrespectful to its players?

Keep grinding that axe in the face of all logic Zonds.
Turn it up! I'll give you "In the Face of all Logic". The reaction of the supporter base in general indicates how "Admin" ballsed this up. Had they handled these "forced retirements" well we wouldn't be having this discussion. But you and your "They had no option" brigade can keep your heads buried in the sand whilst us intelligent types can bemoan the imbecilic behavior of our "Admin". :stern look

But I know where you're coming from mate. This week didn't happen. The outrage didn't happen. The Twitter release that 4 of our Champions weren't having their contracts renewed didn't happen. The club being inundated with phone calls and messages of outrage didn't happen. Mr Reset didn't talk nonsense. Mr Over Arching didn't admit that if said players weren't "Retired" he would feel compelled to play them in 2017. None of this is happening. That's why Funky Carl has given the Admin a Big Tick. :stern look

So hopefully this makes you feel better Tron, "Stars in your eyes, little one. Where do you go to dream? To a place, we all know. The land of make believe" :stern look

Whether you agree with the decision or not, the handling of the Scotts Four was a prime example of how not to retire players.

Amateurish.

Rushed.

Embarrassing.

I am off the mark with this?

....and an apology to the Members...disappointed that we were disappointed....kudos...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back