Opinion A Queensland team will win the flag within 5 years

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
This might be a debatable topic, but I believe that Brisbane or Gold Coast are a massive shot of winning the flag within the 5 years: here’s the reason why?

The amount of talent
Brisbane have already established players that can turn the game on its head and they’ve got forwards which can produce up to 60 goals per year. Gold Coast may be awful for two years or so, but that’s because there developing and if they keep getting draft picks that are in the top 5, no doubt they’ll quickly rise up the ladder.

Gold Coast reminds me of Collingwood in the early 2000s
Collingwood was putrid in 1999 as they’ve only won 4 game and many changes happened off the field. Gold Coast have faced a similar situation in 2018 when they’ve only won 4 games and Hired a new coach. I believe that the Gold Coast suns will have a purple patch and do absolutely nothing for the rest of this year and will improve remarkably next year until the very next year, theyll make finals.

I want the big footy community to come together and debate on what’s gonna happen to the Queensland teams of Brisbane and Gold Coast within the next 5 years

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ruck may hurt Brisbane in the short term Stefan Martin has been all man for the club, but that can mean a
lack of exposure for the next in line. Grant Birchall is no Luke Hodge in terms of recent continuity of games
that move reeks of going to the well one too many times. They need to put faith in the young guys and
maybe take a step back to go forward in the long term.

Gold Coast could be sitting on a gold mine, or it could be a "Pit Of Obligation" with so many unproven new
players how can the coach know where the games should go. You don't want to dig a "Pit Of Obligation"
because the letters tell you what you end up in. (P.O.O) Beware the P.O.O, Stuart Dew.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Projecting 5 years into the AFL is stupid AF.

No one saw the dogs and tigers flags a couple years before they won them. Meanwhile Melbourne Carlton Brisbane etc have been sure things to win one within 5 years because they hit the draft hard.

There's absoloutely nothing to debate.

Brisbane is a serious chance in the next 5 years.

GC seem to have their heads straight at last. If they stick to a plan and base their development on good characters and culture then they'll be there in 5+ years.

Bit 'will' win is too far. Contend sure.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This might be a debatable topic, but I believe that Brisbane or Gold Coast are a massive shot of winning the flag within the 5 years: here’s the reason why?

The amount of talent
Brisbane have already established players that can turn the game on its head and they’ve got forwards which can produce up to 60 goals per year. Gold Coast may be awful for two years or so, but that’s because there developing and if they keep getting draft picks that are in the top 5, no doubt they’ll quickly rise up the ladder.

Gold Coast reminds me of Collingwood in the early 2000s
Collingwood was putrid in 1999 as they’ve only won 4 game and many changes happened off the field. Gold Coast have faced a similar situation in 2018 when they’ve only won 4 games and Hired a new coach. I believe that the Gold Coast suns will have a purple patch and do absolutely nothing for the rest of this year and will improve remarkably next year until the very next year, theyll make finals.

I want the big footy community to come together and debate on what’s gonna happen to the Queensland teams of Brisbane and Gold Coast within the next 5 years
Brisbane are a very good side and should be around the mark for a while but they also weren't all that young last year, their midfield is very good because it's mostly guys in their prime.

But I'm not convinced they have a forward yet alone forwards capable of 60 goals. Charlie Cameron got very close last year with 57 but the Lions pretty much made him the main man at full forward, I think this year they have to be more versatile and less predictable and use Charlie is a variety of roles.

Hipwood is an excellent talent but it's now time he goes from more than 10 touches, 4 marks, 1.5 goal a game forward and is far more consistent. Brisbane's chances of sustained contention are far improved if he really steps up.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
As for the Suns....They are now GWS level talent. It's crazy how much they've been given.

Dew's built a solid system when they have enough healthy senior players out there. Chuck in 6 top 10 picks from the last 2 years: 2 elite forwards, 3 gun mids (2 of which are very dangerous forward) and a utility sweeping defender who could be the best kick in the league, it's scary.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1 in 9 teams are from qld so over 5 years it wouldn't be remarkable if it happened.

Back