A question for Melbournites

Remove this Banner Ad

Sly77

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2001
Vic - Qld - Vic - yep peoples I'm back!
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I need some help (no not psychological) and I figure who better to help me than those in the know.

For those who don't know I'm moving back to Melb with a couple of friends in April, and looking at renting a 3 bedroom something (preferably house) We havent yet decided what suburb - but want to be relatively close to the city. Rent range of a max high $300's a week.

Area's thrown up to date have been Hawthorn (of course ;) ), Richmond, St Kilda-ish.

Would love to hear peoples opinions of where to look, and where to avoid.

Ta :D

You could get somewhere around Williamstown, St. Kilda, Mordiallic, Kew, Hawthorn, Northcote, Carlton for that price I'd think...

The Hitman

Originally posted by The Hitman
You could get somewhere around Williamstown, St. Kilda, Mordiallic, Kew, Hawthorn, Northcote, Carlton for that price I'd think...

The Hitman

Ok perhaps time to refine the qn a bit.

Answers from people who DON'T live at home with mum still, and lifestyle is a pretty big factor here. We want to be relatively close to the action ;)

Also, although Coburg is not in the league of Springvale when it comes to durgs, it is not drug free, as I found out a couple of months ago, when my Mum found a needle in the front yard.

Originally posted by Sly77

Ok perhaps time to refine the qn a bit.

Answers from people who DON'T live at home with mum still, and lifestyle is a pretty big factor here. We want to be relatively close to the action ;)

Ouch indeed... :(

Hey, there's action at my house. There's me waking up, me brushing my teeth, me sitting at my PC, me watching sport - yup, it's all happening here in Dandy! :D

The Hitman

P.S. Did I mention I live a 30 second walk from a Pancake Parlour? :D ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Sly77

Errrrrr - and????

Dunno, but I'm goin' there for dinner tonight. :D Just wanted to get a mention in for Dandenong's best resteraunt, apart from Dandy Plaza Macca's of course. ;)

The Hitman

The rental market is very soft in Melbourne at the moment and you can get some pretty good deals, particularly with apartments.

Recently complete buildings along St Kilda Road have high levels of vacancy and you can nut out some good deals with the agents. Some apartments you would expect to be far out of your price range, might actually be comfortable!

As for houses with three bed in inner-Melbourne, you would be best to stick to Kew, Kew East, Hawthorn, Hawthorn East area. You will struggle to find 3-bed houses in Richmond, St Kilda, Elwood area and they will often be rennovated (for maximum yuppie dollar) or too expensive anyway.

One thing is for sure, if you want the "Secret Life Of Us" lifestyle (St K, Elwood, Middle Park & Albert Park), you will have to pay for it. Lots of apartments around Port Melbourne way, but I am not too sure about their vacanies and such.

Go to www.property.com.au for more of an idea!

Originally posted by FIGJAM
The rental market is very soft in Melbourne at the moment and you can get some pretty good deals, particularly with apartments.

Recently complete buildings along St Kilda Road have high levels of vacancy and you can nut out some good deals with the agents. Some apartments you would expect to be far out of your price range, might actually be comfortable!

As for houses with three bed in inner-Melbourne, you would be best to stick to Kew, Kew East, Hawthorn, Hawthorn East area. You will struggle to find 3-bed houses in Richmond, St Kilda, Elwood area and they will often be rennovated (for maximum yuppie dollar) or too expensive anyway.

One thing is for sure, if you want the "Secret Life Of Us" lifestyle (St K, Elwood, Middle Park & Albert Park), you will have to pay for it. Lots of apartments around Port Melbourne way, but I am not too sure about their vacanies and such.

Go to www.property.com.au for more of an idea!

Thanks mate - some ideas there

And no - not after a Secret Life of Us lifestyle - just looking to carry on the current lifestyle ;o) - Watch out Melb the Sloppy Tarts are on their way ;) ;)

Come and be my neighbour Sly. Easy access to the airport from where i live. You know ... for those occassions when Melbourne just becomes too much. You know ... when Hawthorn miss the finals ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back