A quick look at grass roots senior football in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Some sobering reporting that, for many different reasons, many young people are leaving smaller regional towns & rural communities- which is having a negative impact on being able to field their local AF club, "the "soul" of the community.

Forming female AF teams in these smaller areas could be the salvation of many AF clubs (but the male teams may still have to merge with a neighbouring team for mutual survival, due to declining young male populations).

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
Add to Adelaide:
  • Southern Football League is fully metropolitan (9 full clubs, 2 other clubs, 24 mens teams, 6 womens teams, 9 U/17.5 teams, 109 other junior male teams, 12 junior girl teams)
  • Great Southern Football League has two metropolitan clubs (McLaren & Willunga) - 4 mens teams, 2 womens teams, 2 U/17.5 teams, 4 other junior male, 3 junior girls)
  • Hills Football League has 13 metropolitan clubs (Blackwood, Mount Lofty, Birdwood, Gumeracha, Hahndorf, Ironbank, Kersbrook, Lobethal, Torrens Valley, Onkaparinga Valley, Uraidla, Bridgewater, Kangarilla)
  • Adelaide Plains Football League has two metropolitan clubs (Angle Vale, Virginia)
  • Barossa Light & Gawler Football Association has three metropolitan clubs (Gawler, South Gawler, Willaston)

Les Malone

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Add to Adelaide:
  • Southern Football League is fully metropolitan (9 full clubs, 2 other clubs, 24 mens teams, 6 womens teams, 9 U/17.5 teams, 109 other junior male teams, 12 junior girl teams)
  • Great Southern Football League has two metropolitan clubs (McLaren & Willunga) - 4 mens teams, 2 womens teams, 2 U/17.5 teams, 4 other junior male, 3 junior girls)
  • Hills Football League has 13 metropolitan clubs (Blackwood, Mount Lofty, Birdwood, Gumeracha, Hahndorf, Ironbank, Kersbrook, Lobethal, Torrens Valley, Onkaparinga Valley, Uraidla, Bridgewater, Kangarilla)
  • Adelaide Plains Football League has two metropolitan clubs (Angle Vale, Virginia)
  • Barossa Light & Gawler Football Association has three metropolitan clubs (Gawler, South Gawler, Willaston)
Yes thanks for that, got the Southern league on a post on the previous page

Looking at your post Perth and i imagine Melbourne have the same scenario, Peel league in Perth has plenty of suburban clubs but is listed as a country league.

What i was doing was just counting senior football teams in clubs (colts, mens, womens ) and using the population of those cities to get a rough guide on how popular the game is (at playing level), i am a bit surprised actually that Adelaide is fairly close to Perth in team numbers considering Perth now has a big population advantage.

I just never got around to posting the final tallies.

However colts level is where Perth is miles ahead of Adelaide. ( it seems )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
However colts level is where Perth is miles ahead of Adelaide. ( it seems )
Not across SA but I'm surprised by your conclusion, disappointed even. Does SA still have the traditional 3rds SANFL club set up?
Over the years the WAFL seem to have developed a great arrangement with the schools (same in Vic), how is that in Adelaide?

Les Malone

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
OK, have not included WAFL, VFL or SANFL teams, maybe the VFL dont have colts, but there is a separate TAC comp and i have not included them.

All based on community grass roots numbers.

Perth combined 300 senior mens, womens and colts teams from a city of 2.385 million (Perth FL and Metro FL)

Adelaide 284 senior mens, womens and colts team from a city of 1.408 million (Adelaide FL and SFL)

Melbourne 792 mens, womens and colts teams from a city of 5.19 million. (Leagues listed in initial post)

If anyone is interested you can work out % to go with it.

*Peel league in WA is within Perth Metro boundary but listed as a country league by the WACFL

*Probably similar type leagues around Melbourne and Adelaide.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
For Melb., you have not included the South East Women's Football league.
There are 25 teams, c. 20 in the Melb. Metro area.

There are also many Melb. metro. teams you have not included, because they are in Leagues that also include some non-Melb. metro teams (as per my above post 3).

Adelaide appears to be significantly outperforming with its no. of teams, per capita, on your figures?
Are rural teams, just outside the Adelaide metro area, not included in any Adelaide metro comps. (so, therefore, Adelaide metro teams are not being excluded in your nos.)?

Is your Perth selection approach for "combined " Leagues the same as Vic. & SA?

EDIT:
As of 30.6.18, the ABS listed the population of "Greater Perth" then was 2,059,484- your figure of 2,385,000 seems high?
Does "Greater Perth" include areas outside of the Perth metro area?

Last edited:

Les Malone

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
For Melb., you have not included the South East Women's Football league.
There are 25 teams, c. 20 in the Melb. Metro area.

There are also many Melb. metro. teams you have not included, because they are in Leagues that also include some non-Melb. metro teams (as per my above post 3).

Adelaide appears to be significantly outperforming with its no. of teams, per capita, on your figures?
Are rural teams, just outside the Adelaide metro area, not included in any Adelaide metro comps. (so, therefore, Adelaide metro teams are not being excluded)?

Is your Perth selection approach for "combined " Leagues the same as Vic. & SA?
Yes thanks for that, it wasn't listed (SEWFL) under metro football on the VFL page, but it seems metro.

I have just included metro leagues, if a league is listed under the respective states country umbrella i have not listed it.

For ex Peel league is listed as a WA country league but is largely in Perth metro area.

Same as leagues skirting around Adelaide and Melbourne metro areas.

I am just defining metro and country leagues how the respective state bodies are.

Yes Adelaide looks way ahead, which i must admit i am surprised about.

RunningBounce

🏆 🏆
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Some sobering reporting that, for many different reasons, many young people are leaving smaller regional towns & rural communities- which is having a negative impact on being able to field their local AF club, "the "soul" of the community.

Forming female AF teams in these smaller areas could be the salvation of many AF clubs (but the male teams may still have to merge with a neighbouring team for mutual survival, due to declining young male populations).

Thanks for sharing that article. Very sobering.

The competitions that I know a little about seem to have less and less u18 teams. This seems to be even more pronounced in comps in regional areas. But that's just an observation from one person. (And I have the additional bias of thinking that de-population in regional Australia and over-crowding in cities is one of the biggest issues in the country.)

Can anyone shed any historical context on the numbers of Colts teams in this thread? Is there more or less than there was last year, 5 years ago, or way back when?

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
Thanks for sharing that article. Very sobering.

The competitions that I know a little about seem to have less and less u18 teams. This seems to be even more pronounced in comps in regional areas. But that's just an observation from one person. (And I have the additional bias of thinking that de-population in regional Australia and over-crowding in cities is one of the biggest issues in the country.)

Can anyone shed any historical context on the numbers of Colts teams in this thread? Is there more or less than there was last year, 5 years ago, or way back when?
In WA each of the WAFL clubs (including Peel Thunder from 1997) have Colts (U19) & its been that way thru to 50s that I'm aware of - was true of the VFL too, but the AFL changed that to the elite U18 comp of today & included teams from country.

The Amateurs comp in WA always included Colts, cant talk for the bush.

Last edited:

Professor Knowall

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

Coming from the country, it's long annoyed me that country leagues slavishly adopt the latest AFL changes even to their own detriment - such as expanding the interchange from 2 to 4 over the last couple of decades, thus making it even harder to get playing numbers in declining populations.

Most rural leagues should reduce team sizes from 22 to 18 - 16 on the field, 2 on the bench, thus making it much easier to find sufficient playing numbers.

Last edited:

Dogs till i die

Club Legend
Dec 30, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Coming from the country, it's long annoyed me that country leagues slavishly adopt the latest AFL changes even to their own detriment - such as expanding the interchange from 2 to 4 over the last couple of decades, thus making it even harder to get playing numbers in declining populations.

Most rural leagues should reduce team sizes from 22 to 18 - 16 on the field, 2 on the bench, thus making it much easier to find sufficient playing numbers.
Often thought that myself, although the "fill ins", many lacking fitness, might not appreciate the extra space to run into!

I think local metro and country leagues, should cut their playing time to say 17 minutes per quarter, with time on. That might just keep players in the game a little longer, helping with numbers. Many retire due to the physical demands of playing, not just on playing days but for 2-3 days after each match. Let's make playing less physically taxing. Many matches are over by 3/4 time anyway, would cut a lot of game's "dead time".

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah as many have mentioned, the blurring between “metro” and “country” can be confusing.

I only really know Melbourne but large (perhaps all) areas of the OEFL and MPNFL are metro under any correct definition. Same with some clubs in Ballarat and Geelong leagues.

It’s something that hasn’t been updated by AFL Vic ever. A lot of these areas stopped being “country” decades ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom