A quick look at grass roots senior football in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
The big 3, the center of the universe for all things Australian football.

Thought i would provide some numbers below top level footy to give people some perspective and opportunity to comment, numbers all based on 2019, some teams may be rural type based but play in metro comps, the alternate may happen as well, maybe i have missed some actual city leagues, but at any rate here goes.

Perth

WAAFL 182 mens teams
25 womans teams
50 colts teams

Sunday FL 16 mens teams

WAWFL 27 womens teams

Peel FL 20 mens
10 colts

Adelaide

SAAFL 202 mens teams
18 under 18 teams
46 womens teams

Melbourne

VAAFL 172 mens teams
76 womens teams
44 colts teams

Essendon FL 70 mens
16 colts
20 womens

Nth subs FL 56 mens teams
20 colts
20 womens

East SFL 90 mens teams
30 colts

Sth FL 79 mens teams
7 colts teams
13 womens teams

West FL 52 mens teams
13 womens teams
14 colts teams

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
This is a very worthwhile topic.

As Tasmania is overrepresented in the AFL Hall OF Fame & the AFL Team Of The Century, I suggest Tasmanian GR snr. nos. be included- for the Hobart & Launceston district GR snr Leagues (as Tasmania's population is, basically, divided into 2 areas).

On a per capita basis, there has been a significant decline in male GR snr regd. player nos. in Melb., Perth & Adelaide.
Of course, Tasmanian AF is a disaster- a decline in male competition raw nos there. It has been robbed of the AF tribalism/emotion, which is necessary to advance GR AF: fans want to follow the elite competition, the AFL, but Tasmania doesn't have its own team.

There is no VAAFL- it is the VAFA, Australia's biggest snr comp., c.14,000 club players. Recently, some outer suburban clubs left, mainly due to travel issues.
Virtually all VAFA clubs have snr & reserve teams- a very small no. only have a snr. team, & play in the "Clubbies" comp. Many VAFA clubs have Colts, playing in the U19 comp. - & a few clubs have teams in the U23 comp. There is also a 3rds comp. (ie below the Reserve comp.)

In the Melb. metro area, you have not included these snr Leagues:-
. the outer NW Riddell League (some teams part of Melb... other not)
. the outer eastern Yarra Valley League- now called Outer East League(ditto)
. the outer sthn. Mornington Peninsula League (most in Melb.)

IIRC, a few western suburbs clubs play in the Geelong Football League (Geelong is not part of Melb., &, has 2 snr. Leagues)

There are also the tragics in the fortnightly Sunday Masters Leagues (over 35, over 45, over 50, over 55 for mid life crises, lonely, wife-hassled- & lots of boozers). Women's Masters are only over 35. FIDA Leagues (from 17 to c.50- all must produce a med. certificate that they have a disability), & Pub. Leagues.

EDIT: For the VAFAW, the no. of teams is not a good indication of the no. of players.
There are c. 4000 female players in the VAFA, but only c. 80 teams.
Do others know if similar ratios exist elsewhere in women's AF comps.?

Last edited:

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

As Tasmania is overrepresented in the AFL Hall OF Fame & the AFL Team Of The Century, I suggest Tasmanian GR snr. nos. be included- for the Hobart & Launceston district GR snr Leagues (as Tasmania's population is, basically, divided into 2 areas).

On a per capita basis, there has been a significant decline in male GR snr regd. player nos. in Melb., Perth & Adelaide.
Of course, Tasmanian AF is a disaster- a decline in male competition raw nos there also. It has been robbed of the AF tribalism/emotion, which is necessary to advance GR AF: fans want to follow the elite competition, the AFL, but Tasmania doesn't have its own team.

There is no VAAFL- it is the VAFA, Australia's biggest snr comp., c.14,000 club players.
Virtually all VAFA clubs have snr & reserve teams- a very small no. only have a snr. team, & play in "Clubbies". Many VAFA clubs have Colts, playing in the U19 comp. - & a few clubs have teams in the U23 comp. There is also a 3rds comp. (ie below the Reserve comp.)

. the outer nthn. Riddell League (some teams part of Melb.. other not)
. the outer eastern Yarra Valley League(ditto)
. the outer sthn. Mornington Peninsula League

IIRC, a few western suburbs teams play in the Geelong Football League (Geelong is not part of Melb.)

There are also Masters Leagues (over 35, over 45, over 50 for the tragics, mid life crises, lonely, wife-hassled- & lots of boozers), FIDA Leagues (from 17 to c.50- all must produce a med. certificate that they have a disability), & Pub. Leagues.

yes VAFA not VAAFL is the top one for Melbourne, not sure why i typed that

I just used the VFL website for Melbourne metro based leagues. https://aflvic.com.au/leagues-associations/

It does become somewhat confusing between country and suburban leagues around the cities

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

Of course, Tasmanian AF is a disaster- a decline in male competition raw nos there. It has been robbed of the AF tribalism/emotion, which is necessary to advance GR AF: fans want to follow the elite competition, the AFL, but Tasmania doesn't have its own team.

There is no VAAFL- it is the VAFA, Australia's biggest snr comp., c.14,000 club players.
Virtually all VAFA clubs have snr & reserve teams- a very small no. only have a snr. team, & play in the "Clubbies" comp. Many VAFA clubs have Colts, playing in the U19 comp. - & a few clubs have teams in the U23 comp. There is also a 3rds comp. (ie below the Reserve comp.)

. the outer NW Riddell League (some teams part of Melb... other not)
. the outer eastern Yarra Valley League- now called Outer East League(ditto)
. the outer sthn. Mornington Peninsula League

IIRC, a few western suburbs clubs play in the Geelong Football League (Geelong is not part of Melb.)

There are also the tragics in the fortnightly Sunday Masters Leagues (over 35, over 45, over 50, over 55 for mid life crises, lonely, wife-hassled- & lots of boozers). Women's Masters are only over 35. FIDA Leagues (from 17 to c.50- all must produce a med. certificate that they have a disability), & Pub. Leagues.
Pretty sad summary of masters footy. F off with your s**t opinions champ.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Pretty sad summary of masters footy. F off with your s**t opinions champ.
1.That was my attempt at humour, sorry that you were offended.

I've played Masters footy, it's a great comp., lots of camaraderie & good people (with the exception of 1 club in Melb.'s nthn. suburbs).

2. Incidentally, LesMalone, your Colts nos. seem disproportionately low for Adelaide SAAFL, & Melb.'s SFL- are they correct?

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

I've played Masters footy, it's a great comp., lots of camaraderie & good people (with the exception of 1 club in Melb.'s nthn. suburbs).

2. Incidentally, LesMalone, your Colts nos. seem disproportionately low for Adelaide SAAFL, & Melb.'s SFL- are they correct?
Ha ha sorry. I probably can guess those clubs but wouldn’t like to name names as such.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
yes VAFA not VAAFL is the top one for Melbourne, not sure why i typed that

I just used the VFL website for Melbourne metro based leagues. https://aflvic.com.au/leagues-associations/

It does become somewhat confusing between country and suburban leagues around the cities

I'm not sure what you are driving at, am I supposed to compare the numbers & draw a comparison?

In probably a bigger deal the Sunday football league hasn't existed for at least a decade.
Not sure whether he meant the Mercantile league? I think that's even called something else now.
I'm pretty sure it is called the Metropolitan Football League now?

He may also be referring to the Hills Football League, though that has nowhere near 16 clubs.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I'm pretty sure it is called the Metropolitan Football League now?

He may also be referring to the Hills Football League, though that has nowhere near 16 clubs.

Ah yes, the Sunday league is now the Metro FL, i considered the Hills league rural.

Metro league has 2 divisions - 8 teams per, some clubs 2 teams, some clubs one.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

SAAFL weirdly has under 18's, in Perth for ex under 18's is year 12 and year 12 is considered the last year of junior football.

As i said, maybe i have missed their colts program, but its not there.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-114-0-510186-0&a=COMPS&seasonID=5916972

SFL had 10 colts teams (under19) in 2018, in 2019 7 - so i expect it to be correct.

Ah yes, the Sunday league is now the Metro FL, i considered the Hills league rural.

Metro league has 2 divisions - 8 teams per, some clubs 2 teams, some clubs one.
HFL is just as much Perth as the Peel FL is. Most clubs are only 30-40 minutes from the CBD.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
HFL is just as much Perth as the Peel FL is. Most clubs are only 30-40 minutes from the CBD.

just where i drew the line, quite a few clubs in the Peel league are up around Rockingham, i think Singleton is the last Perth Suburb south before Mandurah.

I think the Hills league only consists of 6 or so clubs.

6 of one half a dozen the other.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
just where i drew the line, quite a few clubs in the Peel league are up around Rockingham, i think Singleton is the last Perth Suburb south before Mandurah.

I think the Hills league only consists of 6 or so clubs.

6 of one half a dozen the other.

Hills Football League is definitely not rural.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Hills Football League is definitely not rural.

OK then its in, but...... i have seen most of the grounds TBH and it feels rural to me.

But on the other hand i think Mundaring shire is part of the Perth LGA.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Missed a suburban league in Adelaide. the southern football league - 18 mens teams in 2 divisions.

But i am truly perplexed about the seemingly lack of colts teams in the SAAFL or i think its called the Adelaide FL now.

Perhaps someone knows.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The WA Country Football League -WACFL - includes the Peel and Hills leagues in its area.
That League or earlier versions has been around since day one of Footy in WA.
While not on topic but worth a mention is the growth of country female teams in WA in regions with small populations where surely the females are playing 2 or 3 different sports over the 12 months.

There used to be a great private website with all open age leagues in every state, both metro and rural leagues with all the teams in the league but it has shut down. Think the website was called geocities......

This wiki page has had a fair crack at it listing all the clubs in the different metro and rural leagues, even if they don't have a wiki page. They don't list the under age teams and women's teams and if the club has more than 1 team in say 4 or 6 divisions in the ammos.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
2018 National - 386,924 club participants

2018 Victoria - 1228 clubs, 6886 teams, 997 womens teams
2018 WA - 68,575 club participants
2018 SA - 52,323 club participants (251 clubs, 242 womens teams)
2018 QLD - 30,531 club participants
2018 Tas - 13,300 club participants (532 teams)
2018 NT - 10,676 club participants
2018 NSW/ACT - (260 clubs in New South Wales and the ACT in 2018)

Missed a suburban league in Adelaide. the southern football league - 18 mens teams in 2 divisions.

But i am truly perplexed about the seemingly lack of colts teams in the SAAFL or i think its called the Adelaide FL now.

Perhaps someone knows.

From the AFL annual report

"The SANFL juniors competition in the metropolitan area continued to grow with 12,862 registrations, 671 teams and 4800 games played, making it the largest junior football competition in Australiaa."

"The SANFL juniors competition in the metropolitan area continued to grow with 12,862 registrations, 671 teams and 4800 games played, making it the largest junior football competition in Australiaa."
The_Wookie I see the words - clubs and teams being used. I assume they have different meanings and there probably is an inconsistency when reconciling clubs and teams.

For example, I used to play for Adelaide Uni when they were 1 club. but had 9 open age teams in the SA Amatuer Football League. They now have 6 open age male teams and 3 open age women's teams. Do they get counted as 1 club or 2 clubs now as they now have teams in 2 different comps?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The_Wookie I see the words - clubs and teams being used. I assume they have different meanings and there probably is an inconsistency when reconciling clubs and teams.

For example, I used to play for Adelaide Uni when they were 1 club. but had 9 open age teams in the SA Amatuer Football League. They now have 6 open age male teams and 3 open age women's teams. Do they get counted as 1 club or 2 clubs now as they now have teams in 2 different comps?

1 club with multiple teams. Club is a specific entity. teams are contained within a clubs structure.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

Ok thats great, but doesnt really answer my question.

this is the 2019 SANFL junior comps.

Seems to just go to 16.5 age group.

I was looking for the colts teams.

Only seems to be 18 colts teams ( under 18's) in Adelaide, perhaps once older than that they senior footy in Adelaide.

Back