A reason to buy the GF Footy Record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods please merge idiots thread into this one.

great article. MM might have eventually been tactically found out but he's goes down as the goat man manager imo. In particular like this bit:

"Didak, the Pies' former clown prince, raises the club's much-critiqued culture.

"The biggest myth was that we had a culture problem," he says. "Mick had us in the palm of his hand. Our changerooms were humming. We knew exactly what was required and in 2010-11 we felt like we could smash anyone."

Swan: "It was a winning culture. I hated training more than anyone, but I loved going to the club then because we'd win and have fun."

Johnson: "From '06 to '11, we had the best culture.""

great article. MM might have eventually been tactically found out but he's goes down as the goat man manager imo. In particular like this bit:

"Didak, the Pies' former clown prince, raises the club's much-critiqued culture.

"The biggest myth was that we had a culture problem," he says. "Mick had us in the palm of his hand. Our changerooms were humming. We knew exactly what was required and in 2010-11 we felt like we could smash anyone."

Swan: "It was a winning culture. I hated training more than anyone, but I loved going to the club then because we'd win and have fun."

Johnson: "From '06 to '11, we had the best culture.""
Is there a level of delusion here with these guys? How is getting suspended for off field indiscretions and effectively costing your team the 2008 season the best culture? I would love to know what all of the other non Rat Pack members thought of them that year.

Is there a level of delusion here with these guys? How is getting suspended for off field indiscretions and effectively costing your team the 2008 season the best culture? I would love to know what all of the other non Rat Pack members thought of them that year.

Firstly, they won more than they lost.

Second, that’s Gary Pert for ya. Turning on his own and imposing club suspensions on players that doesn’t help the club in finals.

Third, well it ain’t like anyone got banned for 2 years for using PEDs is it? That only happens under Bucks’ leadership.

Viva la Rat Pack

Firstly, they won more than they lost.

Second, that’s Gary Pert for ya. Turning on his own and imposing club suspensions on players that doesn’t help the club in finals.

Third, well it ain’t like anyone got banned for 2 years for using PEDs is it? That only happens under Bucks’ leadership.

Viva la Rat Pack
No, it's the selfish attitude of players who think that it's ok to get behind a wheel hammered, putting other's lives at risk. Blaming others (like what you are doing) for their stuff ups is contributing to the problem.

This is my favourite part:

Swan: "I didn't give a rat's off the field, but I did on it. No matter how much I got up to (socially), I wanted to be best-on-ground every week. I just hated playing bad. Mick was great but it wouldn't have mattered who coached me."

You gotta have that burning in you and hope today's players have that burning watching Richmond win yesterday.

like those other Australian heroes - The Rats of Tobruk - thriving on the nickname

Question - if what they say is true, why was there such a perceived need for "cultural change at the Pies"? Have some bits been left out?

Johnson: "From '06 to '11, we had the best culture."" - what happened after 2011?

PS - Thread prob needs another name - could become a mega thread..

like those other Australian heroes - The Rats of Tobruk - thriving on the nickname

Question - if what they say is true, why was there such a perceived need for "cultural change at the Pies"? Have some bits been left out?

Johnson: "From '06 to '11, we had the best culture."" - what happened after 2011?

PS - Thread prob needs another name - could become a mega thread..
Cultures in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?
For the rat pack, the opportunity to do as they liked off field, while continuing to perform on it, was the culture they thrived in.
For players like our two druggies, they also liked that culture.
Buckley clearly didn't like any of those options and decided his culture, and if we know anything of a Bux we know he is manic about the perfection required to be an AFL player.
So, at the beginning of the Bux era, there was a huge swing in the way the club was run on and off field.
The results speak for themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cultures in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? ........
Buckley clearly didn't like any of those options and decided his culture, and if we know anything of a Bux we know he is manic about the perfection required to be an AFL player. So, at the beginning of the Bux era, there was a huge swing in the way the club was run on and off field. The results speak for themselves.
They do indeed.

To put the other viewpoint - it was intolerable for Didak to be riding around in a car with a gangster thug. The deceit from Shaw and Didak after they drove into a parked car in Kew was a bit much - own up straight away and don't blame stray possums.

There's naughty blokes with a sense of fun and then there's freakin nuisances who don't know where the line is. Not a straight forward situation.....

They do indeed.

To put the other viewpoint - it was intolerable for Didak to be riding around in a car with a gangster thug. The deceit from Shaw and Didak after they drove into a parked car in Kew was a bit much - own up straight away and don't blame stray possums.

There's naughty blokes with a sense of fun and then there's freakin nuisances who don't know where the line is. Not a straight forward situation.....
But those nuisances performed for the club when needed. Week in week out.
Under the Buckley era there aren't any nuisances, but the ladder positions over that era show that there are places for nuisances.

But those nuisances performed for the club when needed. Week in week out.
Under the Buckley era there aren't any nuisances, but the ladder positions over that era show that there are places for nuisances.
As I said, not straight forward at all - more like staring into a prism. Do you think the club should draw the line somewhere on occasion or ignore every off field indiscretion?

As I said, not straight forward at all - more like staring into a prism. Do you think the club should draw the line somewhere on occasion or ignore every off field indiscretion?
Depends on the indiscretion.
If someone is injured then that's a step to far.
But some of the stuff that gets reported as the end of the world isn't worth worrying about.

Depends on the indiscretion.
If someone is injured then that's a step to far.
But some of the stuff that gets reported as the end of the world isn't worth worrying about.
Fair point - but there's always a line that has to be drawn. When you have first class footballers acting like idiots sooner or later someone pays a price. I saw it first hand in Geelong when I was in my teens. To be honest I get the feeling we were bloody lucky we didn't have another Millane moment.
Its all well and good to let boys be boys until you have to bury one or visit them in prison.
There's more to life than winning a game of footy.
As I said, in Geelong all sorts of criminal behaviour was swept under the carpet for 2nd rate footballers who were given get out of jail free cards because they played VFL. People's lives get affected by dickheads. Particularly drunk dickeads behind the wheel and drunk dickheads who have no respect for women.
Professional footballers must be held to account for their actions. ALways without fail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back