Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Attacking game style exposes North Melbourne’s defence

July 4, 2017 8:50pm
SAM LANDSBERGER

NORTH Melbourne is fun to watch. But the Kangaroos are even more fun to play against. Because what is unfolding at Arden St this season is a rebuild in reverse. Slick, sexy offensive ball movement is the layer coach Brad Scott appears to have focused on first.

It is flair and dazzle over dour defence. It us the opposite of Paul Roos’ methodical overhaul of Melbourne, Brendon Bolton’s Carlton “sponge” or ex-Western Bulldogs coach Brendon McCartney’s contested-ball cornerstone. And it is also leaving the Kangaroos wide open to be sliced apart.

The Kangas are leaking 101 points per game this season, their second-highest total in 15 years and 14 points more than last year. That’s a big rise. Particularly when 2014-2016 were North’s stingiest seasons since 2003. The scorching pace the Kangas can score at allowed them to fight back from 26 points down 14 minutes into the last quarter against the Western Bulldogs. Inspired by workhorse Ben Cunnington, North surged by kicking 4.2 to no score in 14 scintillating minutes. But the free gamestyle also cost them victory that night. After playmaker Shaun Higgins’ snapped a behind out of a stoppage to tie the game, the Dogs went coast-to-coast in four kicks and Jake Stringer slotted the winning point deep in the final quarter. It was far too easy for Matthew Suckling, Jack Redpath and Lachie Hunter to whisk the ball to Stringer in 12 seconds.

A look at Champion Data’s measure of North’s ball movement this season would have filled Dogs fans with hope — and Kangas supporters with doubt — entering that frenetic final play. Scott’s team ranks fourth for offensive ball movement. That means they are the No.4 team in the competition for successfully moving the footy from Point A to B. But they rank 16th for defensive movement, when the opposition takes possession, perched 80 per cent below the AFL average.

There is nothing wrong with Scott’s rebuild approach. It is just different to what we have witnessed in previous seasons. In Round 14 the Kangas conceded 15.17 (107) to the Dogs, the premier’s first triple-digit score since Round 5. On Saturday Gold Coast kicked 18.10 (118) in its 19-point victory against North, the Suns’ first triple-digit score since Round 7. In Round 11 it was Richmond which kicked its sole triple-digit score since Round 4 against Brisbane, and even Carlton managed a season-best 15 goals against the Kangas, despite the Blues losing in Round 10.

Scott’s team sits near the bottom of every backline metric, despite playing in some of the season’s most pulsating games. It is stuff out of the Matthew Knights handbook circa 2008-10. Back then Knights’ Bombers kicked more than 100 points 27 times in three seasons, but instead of blowing sides away they often engaged in brazened shootouts.

Scott’s joeys are dangerous. They sliced the previously unbeaten Adelaide apart by kicking 22 goals in a stunning Round 7 victory. They’ve unleashed star kid Luke McDonald on to a wing this season and a rejuvenated Higgins has reached peak form. The next step is to tighten the screws. If they can a ladder rise will come. If not it could be good Knights.

NORTH MELBOURNE’S DEFENCE

SCORING

Points against 101: (average), 16th (rank)
Opposition goals per inside 50m: 26.1 per cent, 14th
Points conceded from turnover: 58.5, 15th
Points conceded from stoppage: 38.4, 17th

BALL MOVEMENT

Opposition defensive 50m to inside 50m: 23.7 per cent, 17th
Points conceded from defensive 50m: 18.1 16th
Opposition halfback to inside 50m: 44.3 per cent, 16th
Points conceded from halfback: 20.1, 14th
Defensive ball movement: -80 per cent, 16th

NORTH MELBOURNE’S ATTACK

SCORING

Points for: 93.5, 7th
Goals per inside 50m: 25.4 per cent, 8th
Points from turnovers: 55.6, 8th
Points from stoppages: 34.6, 5th

BALL MOVEMENT

Defensive 50m to inside 50m: 21.3 per cent, 8th
Points from defensive 50m: 17.5, 5th
Halfback to inside 50m: 43.1 per cent, 6th
Points from half-back: 19.1, 6th
Offensive ball movement: +43 per cent, 4th

NORTH MELBOURNE POINTS CONCEDED

2003 101.1
2017 101
2010 100.4
2008 99.9
2006 98.5
2002 98.2
2005 97.1
2004 97.1
2011 94.6
2007 93.9
2009 91.6
2013 87.7
2016 87
2015 86.2
2014 81.6

Source: CHAMPION DATA

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/004503be542e5752f315a77e2d48601d

Last edited:

If memory serves, Scott's first rebuild at North was also attack first. Not sure why we need to go to Knights for precedent.

Also, any intelligent person would remember that ditching Knights wasn't the best move * ever made. Better to have holes in the defence than needles dangling from every arm.

Points conceded from turnover: 58.5, 15th

Mullet, Tarrant, Hansen, MacMillan, Atley and Williams are all AFL top 100 for disposal efficiency.

Blame must overwhelmingly lie with the midfield and the high forwards.

Points conceded from stoppage: 38.4, 17th

The midfield.

Points from defensive 50m: 17.5, 5th
Halfback to inside 50m: 43.1 per cent, 6th
Points from half-back: 19.1, 6th

The defence.

Mullets ranking as an AFL leading rebound 50 player, combined with his disposal efficiency, needs to be given a lot more respect around here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't really say we are fun to watch, or that we play with any type of stand out offensive flair...stats may suggest we move the ball and are offensive but we breakdown so often with the most simplest of possession chains that its incredibly frustrating being a supporter. We have so many players that can't execute the most simple handle or kick when under a small bit of pressure.

Those defensive stats suggest to me that we don't setup very well across half back. I think this is supported by how often we end up with a half back or back pocket matched up on a key position forward one-out. Our zoning is absolutely terrible. They need a serious re-think as to how that defensive structure works.

We also need to have a serious look at our stoppage work. Being ranked 17th for points scored from stoppages in an indictment on this playing group considering Scott believes we are an "elite contested ball winning side". If you are elite are winning the footy and controlling the contest you don't allow the opposition free movement to score from the stoppage. I also think reflects poorly on Ziebell, Cunners and Dumonts ability to cover the ground defensively.

I also believe that these suggest we need an elite half back, someone who can setup play and be a "get out" option if things look like they are going pear-shaped. Someone who can accumulate the footy, and use it well. McMillan and Mullett too often kick down the line to Brown/Waite who are in 2 v 1's resulting in the footy going inside our defensive 50 again. The amount of repeat scoring opportunities I've seen this year from poor kicking out of defensive 50 is alarming imo.

We really need an elite half back, and a midfield that works as hard defensively as they do offensively.

It's an interesting case study.

I spose Brad Scott is the one with the runs on the board when it comes to rebuilds. He didn't get there the first time, but he came close.

Not sure Bolton would have a better idea of what is the best way to go about it. Yes he's came from a successful program at the Hawks, but Scott came from a pretty successful system as well.

I spose at the end of the day it's about knowing your lists strengths.

McMillan and Mullett too often kick down the line to Brown/Waite who are in 2 v 1's resulting in the footy going inside our defensive 50 again.

Half back ain't the issue, think again mate.

McMillan and Mullet hit targets on 84% & 85% of occasions respectively. Both are also top 20 for rebound 50's which means they are hitting their targets exiting defence.

It's the midfields inability to transition past this point. Of course, tactics do play a large role in this. There is a lot more congestion inside forward 50 if our ball movement is sloooooow.

Can't really say we are fun to watch, or that we play with any type of stand out offensive flair...

I think this comment suffers from a bit of goldfish memory. The last month hasn't been pretty but there has been some fantastic football played thus far this year by a decidedly younger team.

By focusing on attack first, Brad is getting us the high draft picks desired without the usual inevitability of supporting a bottom 4 team. There have been very few games this year that I have gone in to thinking we could not win on our day, that is a testament to the team.

Round 1 Eagles Loss 93-136
I actually missed this game, but one that we didn't really challenge.
Round 2 Cats Loss 111-112
We played great looking football and gave up a significant lead late
Round 3 Giants Loss 67-109
Mistakes meant we didn't really get close
Round 4 Bulldogs Loss 86-89
We played solid enjoyable football but gave up a significant lead late
Round 5 Dockers Loss 62-67
Again, enjoyable football if you take away the last 15 minutes.
Round 6 Suns Win 107-94
First win, bit scrappy
Round 7 Crows Win 145-86
One of the best games I've seen. Thoroughly enjoyable
Round 8 Swans Loss 78-120
Good football for the most part but errors killed us
Round 9 Demons Win 104-90
Solid win. Enjoyable.
Round 10 Blues Win 113-96
Fantastic football early, period of not so great from the second quarter but held on.
Round 11 Tigers Loss 66-101
One of the worst games I've watched
Round 13 Saints Loss 72-89
Horrible football to watch
Round 14 Bulldogs Loss 106-107
Good football with harsh result
Round 15 Suns Loss 99-118
Moments, but not too enjoyable overall.

Unsurprisingly our defensive stats became better once leigh tudor was brought in at the end of 2013. It was needed becausse our run and gun approach in 2012-13 wouldn't hold up to tge pressures of finals fooball. If 2014 we were holding the opposition but also had trouble scoring ourselves. We've never really been able to find that perfect balance. I'm not sure why given our midfield pressure in 2014 was excellent. We've gradually dropped off that aspect of our game over the years and now it appears our midfield refuses to help out

Unsurprisingly our defensive stats became better once leigh tudor was brought in at the end of 2013. It was needed becausse our run and gun approach in 2012-13 wouldn't hold up to tge pressures of finals fooball. If 2014 we were holding the opposition but also had trouble scoring ourselves. We've never really been able to find that perfect balance. I'm not sure why given our midfield pressure in 2014 was excellent. We've gradually dropped off that aspect of our game over the years and now it appears our midfield refuses to help out
Levi

i stopped when he mentioned North are sexy....obviously hasn't watched too many games in particular Richmond, Gold Coast, Saints games.

Carlton also play an 8 man defence. Is that what we want? Is it good defence if Carlton are giving up more inside 50's? Sure they'll get lucky on the counter but they're set up to lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back