Roast A reflection of where Pie fans think their club is really at. It's not positive.

Are you happy with we're the club is at?

• Yes

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 104 80.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wil Kelly, Josh Daicos, Darcy Cameron, Nathan Murphy, Brayden Maynard, Isaac Quaynor are all very young. Add Grundy, De Goey and Moore who have lots more to offer. O. Henry, B. McCreery, F. Macrae, J. Rantall, C. Poulter, T. Wilson, T. Bianco have debuted this year and then add Nick Daicos and another early choice along with hopefully a big fish key forward next season.
While this year sucks I’m excited that we could be staring at a list that might give us a lot of joy in 2-3 seasons time.

I know the minority won't like this article, but it pretty much sums up what many Pie fans I know think of our current situation and how we got here.

So yeah go on bag the author because it's due criticism of the club, won't change reality.

We're heading for more time in the wilderness than Bear Grills.
Except that Bear Grills has never been into the wilderness, at least not without a full camera crew and medical team.

We're heading for more time in the wilderness than Bear Grills.
Except that Bear Grills has never been into the wilderness, at least not without a full camera crew and medical team.

Our Bear might find himself in the wilderness unless he gains some consistency from the weekend. However he alone will not be the key to our solved problems.

Toecrusher you seem to be of the majority of where we're at and where we're going, what sort of length of 'time' are you thinking? My money is it's more than mine.

Our Bear might find himself in the wilderness unless he gains some consistency from the weekend. However he alone will not be the key to our solved problems.

Toecrusher you seem to be of the majority of where we're at and where we're going, what sort of length of 'time' are you thinking? My money is it's more than mine.
Based on our list - lack of key forwards and stars in general, along with overpaying the wrong players, poor list management, bad injury management and lack of cap space and probably only one low draft pick this year, we lack the potential to change anything in the short term.

We've continually put more focus on adding to the midfield, than the ongoing desperate need for a KPF. We're constantly trying to plug the FF position with players who aren't natural forwards, which is a truely bizarre approach that has never succeeded anywhere, but we keep trying. The AFL has a clear agenda to give advantage to teams moving the ball quickly, while we try to slow down ball movement.

Ultimately, we keep ordering pizza at McDonald's and can't understand why our pepperoni pizza looks like a Big Mac.

How long in the wilderness? That depends entirely on the clubs willingness to recognise it's errors and change the collective attitude to suceed at all costs. Without changes, I can see at least a few years out of finals contention - remember, we have to push a top 8 club out, and we simply don't operate as a high functioning team - on field or off.

Sorry, a bit on the negative side tonight.

Anyone listening to Graeme Wright on radio.

We have a salary cap hangover from last year.. FFS
I think we're paying most of the money owed to Treloar this year.

You would assume we aren't in the market for any free agents then.

Wright says we aren't concerned what people think about our brand but we are a defence first team.

******* change this strategy asap.
You don't win games of footy defending for 4 quarters or allowing teams to get 3-4 goals up at 3 quarter time then trying to kick a winning score in 1 quarter.

Look at the history books.
There is only a couple of teams who have won the GF in the last 20 years that didn't average 100 points per game and this is all prior to the rule changes this year which are geared towards creating a more open and free flowing game.

Why the * would you try and do the opposite.

Wright says we aren't concerned what people think about our brand but we are a defence first team.

You don't win games of footy defending for 4 quarters or allowing teams to get 3-4 goals up at 3 quarter time then trying to kick a winning score in 1 quarter.

There is only a couple of teams who have won the GF in the last 20 years that didn't average 100 points per game and this is all prior to the rule changes this year which are geared towards creating a more open and free flowing game.

Why the fu** would you try and do the opposite.

I agree with your sentiment but the 2010 side was also a defence first team. I don't see the "defence first" sentiment as an endorsement by GW of the way we're playing.

I agree with your sentiment but the 2010 side was also a defence first team. I don't see the "defence first" sentiment as an endorsement by GW of the way we're playing.

10 years is a looooong time ago.
The game has evolved past this style of play.

Some of it has naturally occurred but now it is being manufactured through rule changes.

The AFL wants high scoring games, teams that try to play a style of football that contradicts this will be left behind, wouldn't be surprised to see rotations cut down again next season.

Either we don't have the cattle to play this style or we don't have the right coaching staff that are daring enough to implement an attacking brand of football.

Why the fu** would you try and do the opposite.
I feel like it's not a recipe for success for teams to be clinging to old ways of playing like us with our dour defensive-minded strategy. The AFL is making rules in order to enable attacking football and we're not adjusting

10 years is a looooong time ago.
The game has evolved past this style of play.

Some of it has naturally occurred but now it is being manufactured through rule changes.

The AFL wants high scoring games, teams that try to play a style of football that contradicts this will be left behind, wouldn't be surprised to see rotations cut down again next season.

Either we don't have the cattle to play this style or we don't have the right coaching staff that are daring enough to implement an attacking brand of football.

That's fair.

There will always be a coach looking for ways to work around the AFL rules to his team's advantage, but I'm not sure we're doing that.

I'll support most initiatives that propose to improve on the style of game we're playing.

we keep opting for project players or bandaid solutions for Key positions. Until that stops we will never be winning flags. I can’t see that changing under Hine and Buckley who can’t see the wood for the trees. Wish the club would have a convo with Grundy about front loading his contract for couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we keep opting for project players or bandaid solutions for Key positions. Until that stops we will never be winning flags. I can’t see that changing under Hine and Buckley who can’t see the wood for the trees. Wish the club would have a convo with Grundy about front loading his contract for couple of years.

I would try and ship Grundy off to Adelaide for O'Brien and Thilthorpe.
I love Grundy but his tap work is sub par.

1 million per season is just insane for a ruck, you pay that money to brownlow winning midfielders and 70+ goal forwards.

1 million per season is just insane for a ruck, you pay that money to brownlow winning midfielders and 70+ goal forwards.
Adel ain’t taking Grundy mate. 0 chance it’s happening. I think we should front load his contract a bit though for next 2 years.

Why would Adelaide do that?

Also, at his best Grundy is pretty close to a Brownlow winner. He's also been a top 3 player this year, and is a top 2 ruck in the comp. It's not like we're stuck with a Brad Hill type contract

Here's another one the Club blind loyalists will not like, pretty much sums up the current situation and any other Pie fan I know would agree with this - and I know plenty.

Here's another one the Club blind loyalists will not like, pretty much sums up the current situation and any other Pie fan I know would agree with this - and I know plenty.

Hilarious (?) that Korda talks about a "coup" - this from someone deeply connected to a Board that avoided elections for over 20 years- were they hiding something?

I understand it's to generate media attention. But that's an AFL drive, not the club pushing it. And they can still tell us nothing. Your claim that he "owes" us remains a crock. Just another misguided sense of entitlement claim.

You seem to be under the misconception that Buckley or Korda own the Collingwood Football Club. The football club would not exist but for its supporters. What do you mean I have a misguided sense of entitlement? I would suggest Buckley and the administration are the people who are operating under a misguided sense of entitlement. They are simply the current caretakers of our club. They should be informing us about our club on a regular basis. The club does "owe" us. We keep it afloat.

You seem to be under the misconception that Buckley or Korda own the Collingwood Football Club. The football club would not exist but for its supporters. What do you mean I have a misguided sense of entitlement? I would suggest Buckley and the administration are the people who are operating under a misguided sense of entitlement. They are simply the current caretakers of our club. They should be informing us about our club on a regular basis. The club does "owe" us. We keep it afloat.

I would hope that if the supporters meant so much to the club, that you could find a couple of supporters to actually apply for board positions, other than small-time melbourne business identifies who dont even bother to follow the club. The club has 13000 fully funded members, but we couldnt find one of them suitable to fill a recent board vacancy. Now we only have one looking for the position of president. No wonder the current administration think that they are precious.

Yes the pressers are an enforced chore. But the question I ask is, given how we are travelling, aren’t the members deserving of more than that? If not in a presser, then some other regular forum? I’m not saying Bucks is irrelevant. I was drawing a parallel with a work situation where we had a deluded boss. I don’t believe Bucks has lost the vast majority of the group but he has lost me...sounds like Charlie Brown’s teacher when he speaks.

Why? Is it a requirement under our articles? All our support entitles us to is a game of footy. That's it.

Happy for you to show me where within the clubs constitution it indicates supporters are entitled to what you suggest.

They were the same last year and the year before that, and the year before that. They didn't change them recently because we aren't going well on-field. They were the same when people bought their memberships and decided to turn up to games.

Therefore, if it's not spelled out in our constitution then it's just you thinking that's what you deserve. Self entitlement.

which Clubs operate with the transparency you’re expecting of Coll?

Why? Is it a requirement under our articles? All our support entitles us to is a game of footy. That's it.
Some Members and supporters are more demanding than others. Some are more accepting of the status quo than others. The point that’s being missed perhaps is that it’s in the clubs long term interests to have a plan and honestly convey that to the masses. it mightn’t be in the long term interests of individuals in the FD or board , but therein lies the problem. Who is acting as custodian of THE CLUBs best interests?

Back