Roast A reflection of where Pie fans think their club is really at. It's not positive.

Are you happy with we're the club is at?

• Yes

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 104 80.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

my orig post on the other thread referred to the 1st sect which was my main point - I added the 2nd bit later in this thread.

Yes - and ?
I responded to the second point, that no President actively encourages an opponent to run against them.
You are therefore naive to think Eddie should.

from article in today's Age by Jake Niall - I agree with his comment re what counts most

View attachment 990337

Imo and it probably won’t be a popular one, but we have taken our eye off the ball. We are now netball, woman’s football etc.

I have no idea whether Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong all have netball and woman’s teams? My netball team is still the Vixens.

Eddie would have a much better legacy if wthe had put 100% focus into winning AFL premierships.

I haven't read much of this thread so apologies if it's been covered. But is our current list, on paper, significantly worse or better than the 2018 team (who were 1 kick off a flag)? Genuine question as I am self admittedly not a particularly knowledge fan.

It seems that we had significant injuries in 2018 (like every damn year :( ) but the formula we had in place worked well, even with B grade replacements covering A graders.

I guess I'm just trying to make myself feel a bit positive, ie that even if we have a disappointing draft/trade period we can still contend if the broken gameplan is fixed.

Yeah, reckon it pretty much sums it up:

Collingwood emulated aspects of Richmond's "connection" between players and sped up their ball movement in 2018, only to fall back to a more indirect, possession-heavy style compared with the Tigers' leaner method.
Collingwood's main failing, relative to the Tigers, has been in list management planning, notably (not) for a key forward, as symbolised by Tom Lynch, and in some long-term legacy contracts that have seen the Pies become a bystander in free agency and with limited scope for trades.
The Lumumba situation can be contrasted with Richmond's success in the multicultural arena. Tellingly, the Tigers have had enormous success with Indigenous talent, while Collingwood, unless they find a player this post-season, will not have one Indigenous player on the list next year after Travis Varcoe's retirement - a reflection of each club's support network as much as recruiting calls.

To be measured against Richmond is galling for the Magpies, given they've been tantalisingly close to the grail and are the only club to upend the Tigers in a cut-throat final since 2017; the inches that separate those clubs have turned into premiership miles.

Yeah, reckon it pretty much sums it up:

Collingwood emulated aspects of Richmond's "connection" between players and sped up their ball movement in 2018, only to fall back to a more indirect, possession-heavy style compared with the Tigers' leaner method.
Collingwood's main failing, relative to the Tigers, has been in list management planning, notably (not) for a key forward, as symbolised by Tom Lynch, and in some long-term legacy contracts that have seen the Pies become a bystander in free agency and with limited scope for trades.
The Lumumba situation can be contrasted with Richmond's success in the multicultural arena. Tellingly, the Tigers have had enormous success with Indigenous talent, while Collingwood, unless they find a player this post-season, will not have one Indigenous player on the list next year after Travis Varcoe's retirement - a reflection of each club's support network as much as recruiting calls.

To be measured against Richmond is galling for the Magpies, given they've been tantalisingly close to the grail and are the only club to upend the Tigers in a cut-throat final since 2017; the inches that separate those clubs have turned into premiership miles.
Nice of him to throw in the old "Collingwood is racist" card there for old time's sake. Another hack who can go * himself.

Nice of him to throw in the old "Collingwood is racist" card there for old time's sake. Another hack who can go fu** himself.

1) He's a Collingwood supporter.

2) He's an exceptional journalist.

3) He works at The Age, a bastion of progressive leftie thinking. He has to write comments like that or he would lose his job.

I have an awful feeling we're heading into a pretty tricky little period.

Big issues with our coach & assistants, list has a number of glaring holes & the President continues to put his foot in it every 5 minutes.

It can be rectified, but not with the current 'jobs for the boys' mentality.
Dont panic.

Bucks is finally getting together the list he wants, and Eddie is settling well into his role a President.

Rome wasnt built in a day - patience Grasshopper, patientce

3) He works at The Age, a bastion of progressive leftie thinking. He has to write comments like that or he would lose his job.
I already knew he was a Collingwood supporter, so are everyone on our boards which includes many dicks. Exceptional journalist, lol. Exceptional journalists report on facts, not write opinionated drivel designed to fire people up and draw clickbait. He's a very typical, common AFL journalist, not many exceptional ones exist. Perhaps compared with the real dregs like Slobbo, Ralphy and Stevens he is exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you want to start? McAllister and his comments about Winmar? Monkhurst and what he said to Long? McGuire and what he said about Goodes? The name Lamumba was called?
Sitting in the Sherrin stand when Winmar, the Krakouers, Muir etc were playing, or when Glen James was umpiring, was certainly "an experience".

I know it was a different time, but geez it was bad.

4) He hasn't had a positive word to say about the club since JDG sacked his brother.

Fixed it for ya.

Where do you want to start? McAllister and his comments about Winmar? Monkhurst and what he said to Long? McGuire and what he said about Goodes? The name Lamumba was called?

Not saying this didn't happen (cos it did and I'm ashamed it did) but you don't think there weren't other culprits of this back in the day? Syd Jackson copped it terribly from Saints supporters @ Moorabbin and from the Tiger fans who were particularly "up and about" in the late 60's early '70's and yet the media merely points at the Pies whenever this stuff comes up. WCE supporters Booooooooed Goodes more than any other crowd but they don't get labelled racist like we do....

Just sayin. Let's get rid of it forever, but lets spread the guilt....cos everyone was doing it.

I have an awful feeling we're heading into a pretty tricky little period.

Big issues with our coach & assistants, list has a number of glaring holes & the President continues to put his foot in it every 5 minutes.

It can be rectified, but not with the current 'jobs for the boys' mentality.

It may be part of the problem when players select teams to move to. We have a jobs for mates board & the coach (who is a mate of the Pres) has his mates as assistants. We don't strive to be the best while we still foolhardily think we are the best.
Get the best people working at the club. Not good mates.

Very good article from Jake. He tells it the way it is. However you need a crystal ball to tell the future. AFL footy moves in ebbs and flows. At the moment Richmond has the ascendency but that can change overnight. Next year we move on as a group and rejuvenate the team with youth such as Ruscoe, Rantall, Bianco, Keane and Tyler Brown. With a good preseason behind them and fewer injuries next year we can overtake Richmond. We did that in 2018. We can do that again in 2021. Nothing ever stays the same.

Very good article from Jake. He tells it the way it is. However you need a crystal ball to tell the future. AFL footy moves in ebbs and flows. At the moment Richmond has the ascendency but that can change overnight. Next year we move on as a group and rejuvenate the team with youth such as Ruscoe, Rantall, Bianco, Keane and Tyler Brown. With a good preseason behind them and fewer injuries next year we can overtake Richmond. We did that in 2018. We can do that again in 2021. Nothing ever stays the same.

Overtaking the tigs is not enough for us Pie fans, it has to be cup, we've been teased too many times and time is up.

At minimum the club should be viewed as doing all it can collectively to get them, hasn't looked like that for a long long time.

Firstly, are you assuming every other club hasn’t had similar issues? Secondly, are you conflating Ed the media personality with Ed the club president?

Firstly, are you assuming every other club hasn’t had similar issues? Secondly, are you conflating Ed the media personality with Ed the club president?
Firstly no I am not assuming every other club hasn't had similar issues. But not on multiple occasions. What other club has had two Presidents make incredibly racist statements.

And Eddie doesn't need me to conflate his media and club roles. He joyfully does it himself.

Back