Toast A salute to outgoing Richmond President Peggy O'Neal

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
images

Feel like this is a main board worthy topic, the game vs Essendon this weekend is her final game as President/Chairperson of the Richmond Football Club, and aside from the fact she is the first club president in our league's rich and famous 120 plus year history, she has done a remarkable job (much to the chagrin of myself and other supporters of clubs who are Tiger Rivals) turning such an underachieving club in the previous 30 odd something years to a modern day powerhouse, granted she had some help with some
very helpful lieutenants in Benny Gale, Neil Balme and Dimma Hardwick.

The fact she was born in America makes her success probably even more remarkable.

I honestly believe the game is a lot better off and healthier for having this pioneer involved at one of the game's most famous and historically important clubs (saying this through clenched teeth lol)

And it's absolutely fantastic to see we have a few more female club presidents these days days (at Melbourne, North Melbourne and The Western Bulldogs)

She was never in the role for the limelight or became notorious for foot in mouth disease (like Allan McAllister, John Elliott, Eddie McGuire and Jeff Kennett etc)

Peggy O'Neal was/is a class act all the way, and I wish her the very best in her future post Tigerland.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
images

Feel like this is a main board worthy topic, the game vs Essendon this weekend is her final game as President/Chairperson of the Richmond Football Club, and aside from the fact she is the first club president in our league's rich and famous 120 plus year history, she has done a remarkable job (much to the chagrin of myself and other supporters of clubs who are Tiger Rivals) turning such an underachieving club in the previous 30 odd something years to a modern day powerhouse, granted she had some help with some

The fact she was born in America makes her success probably even more remarkable.

I honestly believe the game is a lot better off and healthier for having this pioneer involved at one of the game's most famous and historically important clubs (saying this through clenched teeth lol)

And it's absolutely fantastic to see we have a few more female club presidents these days days (at Melbourne, North Melbourne and The Western Bulldogs)

She was never in the role for the limelight or became notorious for foot in mouth disease (like Allan McAllister, John Elliott, Eddie McGuire and Jeff Kennett etc)

Peggy O'Neal was/is a class act all the way, and I wish her the very best in her future post Tigerland.
Well said, classy lady.

She started as a compromise candidate because the 2 big factions couldn't agree. Then became the heart of the club (along with some others). Will go down not only as Richmond royalty, but as an AFL trailblazer in being the 1st female Chair and being instrumental in transforming the culture and operations of a club that became very successful. Now the things she pioneered are being copied by a lot of clubs.

Amazing luck for the Tigers to get Peggy at the right time. Who we were didn't deserve someone as good as she is. Going to be very hard to replace.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
images

Well said mate(With Clenched teeth.;):D)

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
images

Hear hear!
What's with the recent oppo fan threads honouring Tigers of late? Is everyone going soft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thing is, you know she made it through her own pure success and attributes. Didn't get boys clubbed into the role. I think it's a huge advantage and why North is likely to be better off with Hood in the long run. Actually successful people who've earned their role on merit.

Class act Peggy, well done and good luck.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
images

Did you like her decision to demolish our 120yo grandstand that is an integral part of Melbourne's culture and history?
It was an easy decision for an American with a corporate background to make.

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Did you like her decision to demolish our 120yo grandstand that is an integral part of Melbourne's culture and history?
It was an easy decision for an American with a corporate background to make.
Jog on mate. If everyone thought like you the MCG would still be a wooden suburban stand with 6 toilets.

JDS has no redeeming features and is largely un usable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back