Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
This is the 104th season of the VFL/AFL

Two clubs only (Carlton and Collingwood) have compted in ALL 104 seasons. Others have missed a year becasue of World War 1, or have joined the competition in later years.

Now, IF (and it's an if) Essendon were to win the Grand Final this year, it would be our 16th, which would tie Carlton.

Now, since Essendon missed 1916-17 due to World War 1, it would mean Essendon's 16 premierships would have been acheived in 102 seasons, while it would have taken the Blues 104 seasons to accumulate thiers.

Does this mean that the Bombers would be the UNDISPUTED most successful team, if they were to win ?

(P.S. Essendon has finished on top 15 times (soon to be 16) which is behind both Carlton and Colingwoods record of 17, but it's hardly time to bring that up is it ?)

Once you start dividing premierships into the years a club competes in the VFL/AFL you immediately hand the 'most successful team' to the crows,a team which has never risen above fourth in the ladder

Hawthorn's record doesn't look too bad either. Not to mention one day flag, three night flags and a brownlow in the nineties, not regarded as a successful time for the Hawks.

Pess,

I hardly think we can call the Crows the most successful team.

A team which has won 48 % of their games, only made the finals three times in 10 years, and has never finished with better than a 13-9 home and away record.

Sure, they won 2 Grand Finals, but I think we also have to use comon-sense when we talk about the most sucessful team.

When common-sense enters the argument, the Crows aren't a factor, are they ?

I agree with you all. But if you are just gunna take stats alone then yes the Crows are the most successfull with 2 flags from 9 seasons. West Coast are the best ladder positioned with finals in 10 of 14 years.

Now please lets stop there otherwise we will have to take into consideration AFL club records in all previous comps and I don't want Port winning anything.

2 in 9 ????

West Coast have won 2 flags in 13 completed seasons. Soon to be 2 out of 14, as they're not gonna win it this year.

16 flags in 102 seasons (IF Essendon were to win it)is a flag 15.7% of the time.

For West Coast (providing they don't win it this year) 2 flags in 14 seasons is a flag 14.3% of the time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back