Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding is compensation is related to length and money of new contract. If Birchall goes I would almost 100% say there wouldnt be a second rounder, potentially a third but most likely it would be a 4th-5th or nothing.

That Wells contract was ridiculous and teams are now starting to be smarter about it all

Yeah I imagine the buyer will be very wary. Though GCS have to pay someone and they could use his leadership and knowledge, so forget Brisbane it should be them going for him.

I guess any pick is good as it could be used to help bring Finn in.

I'd be happy for us to give him another 1 year contract (very decent in his games back despite how rusty he would have been), but reading between the lines it seems the club have made the decision not to renew his contract. Clarko when talking about Roughy this week said they'd planned for Roughy and Birchall to play in the same game before Birchall's injury, and used words along the lines of "honour them both". Sounds to me like they were planning for this to be a goodbye game for the two of them , given what Clarko was saying, although he in no way made that explicit, so its possible I've read too much into his statement.

My understanding is compensation is related to length and money of new contract. If Birchall goes I would almost 100% say there wouldnt be a second rounder, potentially a third but most likely it would be a 4th-5th or nothing.

That Wells contract was ridiculous and teams are now starting to be smarter about it all

Compensation picks don't go that low. After the 3rd round there's nothing.

Wells' was about 3 years on $500k a year. Hardly outrageous money.

Stewie and Mark Evans undoubtedly in his ear.

Exactly, plays a similar role to Hodge where if you can settle a defense around him he will tell them where to go and still won't be easily exploited. Unlike Hodge, no young family to worry about either.

Exactly, plays a similar role to Hodge where if you can settle a defense around him he will tell them where to go and still won't be easily exploited. Unlike Hodge, no young family to worry about either.
Not even a dog. 😉

Not even a dog. 😉

?

Western_Bulldogs_real_life_mascot.jpg

I'd be happy for us to give him another 1 year contract (very decent in his games back despite how rusty he would have been), but reading between the lines it seems the club have made the decision not to renew his contract. Clarko when talking about Roughy this week said they'd planned for Roughy and Birchall to play in the same game before Birchall's injury, and used words along the lines of "honour them both". Sounds to me like they were planning for this to be a goodbye game for the two of them , given what Clarko was saying, although he in no way made that explicit, so its possible I've read too much into his statement.

I actually heard that and it was in relation to Birch's 250th

Not sure if it belongs in this thread, because it's not incoming players, but it is related to our list next year.

Have heard that Birch won't be at the Hawks next year, but not due to retirement. Our desire to not give up on him and get him back into the side, then the effort to play through him as much as possible when he was in the side all feed into the mail that Birch will explore his Free Agency option and take a similar deal to Hodgey at Brisbane. Depending on his deal size and length we could get up to a second round pick for him, similar to the Wells compensation pick in 2016.
We won't get anything for him because we're bringing in Cogs

I'd rather give Birch another year than say Mirra.
I'd have him above Mirra, Stratton and Mohr. Impy injured, CJ Raw and Scrimmers still establishing himself.

We need 1 last year from Birch so we can see him after the GF holding up all 4 fingers and a thumb by himself as our only 5-time premiership player in the Clarkson era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have him above Mirra, Stratton and Mohr. Impy injured, CJ Raw and Scrimmers still establishing himself.

We need 1 last year from Birch so we can see him after the GF holding up all 4 fingers and a thumb by himself as our only 5-time premiership player in the Clarkson era.

This would actually be rather fitting to the player & club.
To put it simply, it would be a very cool way to go out.

I can’t see him getting another year though but someone will give him one

Don’t worry......we have a number of players that have 3 and will be around long enough for another tilt in the next few years. Gunners, Punky to name a few

Remove this Banner Ad

Back