A tale of two calves! Grant Birchall has his knee tidied up .. again .. and again!

Noneedforaname

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There's so much improvement in this team.
If Birchall does return, Chad builds his fitness and Smith overcomes whatever it is that ails him, that's a 4-5 goal improvement.

Then there's the continued improvement of Scrimshaw, Lewis, Worpel, Cousins & Scully; it could really build up to something by the end of the season.
We just have to hang in and accumulate as many points as possible.
And there is the competition for spots which will help drive performance as well. Bet Clarko wishes he has those problems.

Speaking of Chad, Chad and I, I liked that Birch and he were sitting together and getting on like a house on fire at the GWS game.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned, but feel must be suggested, is that maybe the club, and its medical staff are the ones than may have let Birch down. Sure it's easy to blame him and his body failing, but surely there's the possibility that there's been a misdiagnosis, or at worst a botched procedure that has complicated his issues.
All that stuff stays in house of course, and we'll never know, but it shits me to pieces that people proclaim what's happened, how much money he's on etc. It's speculation.

Another thing I wonder about, is how long Birch would play for if he did come back now. He should be in pretty good shape given the lack of match day wear and tear, and his existing durability. Possibly another 2-3 years? If Birch finishes without playing another game, and he's out of contract, is he eligible for an insurance payout for a career ending injury? The convoluted cloud under which Lekkas retired is at the back of my mind. Do issues around a similar situation further complicate thing?

All the same, super pleased that Birch may get an opportunity to take the field again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rogiebear93

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And there is the competition for spots which will help drive performance as well. Bet Clarko wishes he has those problems.

Speaking of Chad, Chad and I, I liked that Birch and he were sitting together and getting on like a house on fire at the GWS game.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned, but feel must be suggested, is that maybe the club, and its medical staff are the ones than may have let Birch down. Sure it's easy to blame him and his body failing, but surely there's the possibility that there's been a misdiagnosis, or at worst a botched procedure that has complicated his issues.
All that stuff stays in house of course, and we'll never know, but it shits me to pieces that people proclaim what's happened, how much money he's on etc. It's speculation.

Another thing I wonder about, is how long Birch would play for if he did come back now. He should be in pretty good shape given the lack of match day wear and tear, and his existing durability. Possibly another 2-3 years? If Birch finishes without playing another game, and he's out of contract, is he eligible for an insurance payout for a career ending injury? The convoluted cloud under which Lekkas retired is at the back of my mind. Do issues around a similar situation further complicate thing?

All the same, super pleased that Birch may get an opportunity to take the field again.
I mean misdiagnosis does happen, look at Kawhi Leonard with the Spurs.

Still, our record would suggest that it's probably a slim chance, and it doesn't seem as though Birch is distancing himself from the club in any way.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sheff Wed, Barnet, Norwood
Hope we see Birch back but not looking likely. His only saving grace may be that Clarko doesn't want Rough, Burgs and Birch all going in one year. I've almost forgotten what it's like to have Birch in the team, which is a shame because he is such high quality. Would have been good to have the iceman in those games this year where we've bottled it in the last few minutes.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hope we see Birch back but not looking likely. His only saving grace may be that Clarko doesn't want Rough, Burgs and Birch all going in one year. I've almost forgotten what it's like to have Birch in the team, which is a shame because he is such high quality. Would have been good to have the iceman in those games this year where we've bottled it in the last few minutes.
I just watched some highlights of a game from the golden era.

Mitchell, Gibson, Birchall, Guerra all running around.
My goodness we had a great bunch for a long time.
As good as the 80s crop of champions.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
St Louis Blues, Sturt FC, MUFC
Grundy retiring today, Birchall can't be that far off from it now you'd think? Especially since they don't even mention him anymore
Someone mentioned that he trained with the main group yesterday with the view to a Box Hill comeback in a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom