Expansion A team based in Northern/Country Victoria has almost as good business case as a team in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair it's usually mostly the second generation of immigrants who fully convert to our game. (Especially in terms of playing it)

But in saying that, If you look at some of the programs clubs are setting up for immigrant families as well as school sport programs and the general culture of the city, I would argue more than ever will immigration have a positive effect on the game and supporter numbers.

Population growth is always about the long term gain. What will the situation be in 50 years?

Because you used the racist slur on me. Its a disgusting comment & was way out of line.

Dodging what you said is bloody poor form. It reflects very badly on you.

Says the guy who never answers questions about what he says....

I called you racist because of your routine instant dismissal of immigrants, in spite of the significant evidence that not only are the actually people who add to population just as much as native born people, there are also a not insignificant number who play and support the game.

Says the guy who never answers questions about what he says....

I called you racist because of your routine instant dismissal of immigrants, in spite of the significant evidence that not only are the actually people who add to population just as much as native born people, there are also a not insignificant number who play and support the game.
It was a stupid comment, and it makes you look dumber every time you defend it.

Reading "Behind the goals" by Paul Daffey atm... interesting read, do yourself a favour. It's a history of Victorian country football.

Anyway an interesting item I found early on... back in the early, early days there was large political differences between Melbourne and Ballarat (non football)... centre of the goldrush vs Marvellous Melbourne.

Anyway this lead to a decent breakdown between authorities which is the major reason a railway between Melbourne and Ballarat wasn't built until about 30 years after Melbourne-Geelong and Geelong-Ballarat.

Ballarat at the time was a significantly bigger city than Geelong but the lack of transport connection was cited as the main reason why a strong Ballarat club wasn't invited to the VFA. Hence Geelong got involved and went on to be in the VFL.

Genuine sliding doors (unlike the Damien Barrett version)... if a few pollies agreed on a train line we might have had Ballarat, not Geelong.

Reading "Behind the goals" by Paul Daffey atm... interesting read, do yourself a favour. It's a history of Victorian country football.

Anyway an interesting item I found early on... back in the early, early days there was large political differences between Melbourne and Ballarat (non football)... centre of the goldrush vs Marvellous Melbourne.

Anyway this lead to a decent breakdown between authorities which is the major reason a railway between Melbourne and Ballarat wasn't built until about 30 years after Melbourne-Geelong and Geelong-Ballarat.

Ballarat at the time was a significantly bigger city than Geelong but the lack of transport connection was cited as the main reason why a strong Ballarat club wasn't invited to the VFA. Hence Geelong got involved and went on to be in the VFL.

Genuine sliding doors (unlike the Damien Barrett version)... if a few pollies agreed on a train line we might have had Ballarat, not Geelong.

Its always interesting looking back on history.

At some point there was talk of pro/rel between the VFL and the VFA. If that had gone through then one would have expected Ballarat/Bendigo etc to eventually get teams. Fitzroy and South Melbourne probably would have never had to leave Melbourne. But how would a draft or salary cap work? Would SA or WA have any interest in joining up?

While the end product would be inferior the romantic in my can't help but wonder what sort of league we could have had.

That gels, I'm pretty certain in the early days of the VFA, they actually played rep games against the Ballarat league, so it was definitely a very strong footy area.

There are some footy historians who reckon the Ballarat goldfields had a huge influence on the establishment of aussie rules, that a footy term like "leading" comes directly from the goldfields, either way, it was a very strong footy area from the earliest days.

That gels, I'm pretty certain in the early days of the VFA, they actually played rep games against the Ballarat league, so it was definitely a very strong footy area.

There are some footy historians who reckon the Ballarat goldfields had a huge influence on the establishment of aussie rules, that a footy term like "leading" comes directly from the goldfields, either way, it was a very strong footy area from the earliest days.

Indeed. Plenty of stories of from very early days of Ballarat League clubs accounting for VFA clubs. The travel meant they didn't play too often however. Horse drawn I imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back