A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live here in Sydney and I can tell you that the popularity of Aussie Rules is growing, two teams is not going to be enough in this city.

Pretty obvious that a third team will happen, whether in the short, medium or long term is the question- I would say within 10 years.

Where in Sydney is the next question ?

Why not ??

That was the plan they had when North were supposed to move up here.
You want to give the new club the best chance of competing.

Giving them their own home helps with that.
Always thought Heart would struggle sharing Victorys ground.

North arent/werent a start up club and i wouldnt agree with it anyway (personal opinion)

If it is itll be long term. Well after the "20 years" to the Giants is over.

Sth West or Maybe a Shire spot.

Only ground left is North Sydney Oval but the Swans would go ballistic if its a Nth Sydney side.

Agree another Sydney team would have to be at least 20yrs away...although not necessarily 'growing the pie' the next round of expansion in the next 10yrs or so has to be WA3 and Tassie. Then attention will again turn to extra teams in NSW/ACT and QLD.

Then we'll hopefully have an AFL season involving every team playing each other once.

The interesting one is Newcastle and the Hunter. While probably the most hostile part of the country towards Aussie Rules it will have a population by 2050 of around 1million. The largest population centre without an AFL team.

Also Canberra's population by 2050 will be larger than what the Gold Coast is now and would surely also be seriously considered.

Time will tell.

Why not ??

That was the plan they had when North were supposed to move up here.

I reckon a team in Norrhern Sydney or even far northern suburbs would take away some support from the Swans, however a team in the SW and South of Sydney would probably not, considering the travel habits of Sydneysiders the stadium would need to be close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon a team in Norrhern Sydney or even far northern suburbs would take away some support from the Swans, however a team in the SW and South of Sydney would probably not, considering the travel habits of Sydneysiders the stadium would need to be close.

No way will they build an AFL stadium In S/SW Sydney or N/NW Sydney
The cost just for 10k supporters would make it prohibitive.
Sydney will get a 3rd airport before Syd3.

No way will they build an AFL stadium In S/SW Sydney or N/NW Sydney
The cost just for 10k supporters would make it prohibitive.
Sydney will get a 3rd airport before Syd3.

Badgerys creek stadium - could be multipurpose, as in Cricket - which also means AFL.

If there is a chance a stadium is built out there, stand by for the AFL to get in there somehow.

I live here in Sydney and I can tell you that the popularity of Aussie Rules is growing, two teams is not going to be enough in this city.

We're told academies only provide access to players who wouldn't have played otherwise.

5+ years ago, NSW & QLD both produced players without academies.

Now 0 players aren't qualified.

So either support has gone down so badly that nobody would play without them, or the academies are a giant AFL sponsored rort.

We're told academies only provide access to players who wouldn't have played otherwise.

5+ years ago, NSW & QLD both produced players without academies.

Now 0 players aren't qualified.

So either support has gone down so badly that nobody would play without them, or the academies are a giant AFL sponsored rort.
Might be an idea to catch up on who pays for the academies.
Before your usual evil northern clubs and afl rant.

Applies to some but not all, Heeney probably would not have played without the backing, coaching etc of an academy, but plenty of kids who were always going to play footy are part of the academy as well.

One of mates sons who now lives in Wollongong but moved there from Canberra was always going to play footy and is in the academy

Or even better and i know this is hard for you.

Actually do some open minded investigation instead of your narrowminded vfl agenda driven bull.

Our sponsors pay for it.

Last i looked your beloved tiges get quite a bit of money from the AFL to. So wouldnt go bragging.
A lot of clubs in one over serviced city are living on welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back