A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Didn’t your club just get a brand new stadium that destroyed the surrounds at Parramatta?

My club is the swans.
Anyway, entirely different scenario if you read articles to understand what was vested to who.
Bankwest has two tenants which cover entire year & is multipurpose so hosts events which bring millions into local economy.
You guys campaigning for heritage item to be destroyed to further afl with little benefit for community. Ask blacktown

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
My club is the swans.

Riiight.

Posted about the Derby yet in the Swans board?

Anyway, entirely different scenario if you read articles to understand what was vested to who.
Bankwest has two tenants which cover entire year & is multipurpose so hosts events which bring millions into local economy.

Oh so heritage being destroyed is fine if it’s for money... ok. So the exact same thing, although there isn’t any heritage listed items to North Sydney that would have to be destroyed. Unlike the pool etc at Parra.

You guys campaigning for heritage item to be destroyed to further afl with little benefit for community. Ask blacktown

No one has yet asked or campaigned for that. But whose to say it wouldn’t, after a revamp, get used year long?

Blacktown? Ask NSW cricket and the mayor at the time, We were just some extra help so they could get their funding across the line, then told the club we couldn’t base ourselves there full time.

You really are clueless in this.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The MCG is in MELBOURNE.

"One" WOW. Which one ? The Swans could base their AFLW side at N.S. and get regular crowds.

"Twice' WOW. And they play this game on an oval right, like other AFL ovals.

WOW. Think what it might have rated at a decent oval.
you were the one who said women's cricket only had 2 supporters.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Obviously

Because you yourself have admitted that you know nothing about N.S. Oval then I suggest you read and follow the remarks of those more knowledgeable.
We have been talking about extending the oval at N.S. Oval. WITHIN THE EXISTING BOUNDARIES of N.S. Oval.
No part of the surrounding park need be touched and no buildings need to be removed.
Cricket will be IMPROVED because the N.S. shape (a truly odd shape) would become a true oval.
Locals will love the redevelopment because N.S. is the home of the N.S. Bombers.

So a sport that has barely any following in usual times and can rope off the field anyway, would have precedence over a bunch of ticketed afl games per year, plus potential BBL games etc. If i were on the board of NSO I know which way i'd be voting.
Lords is not a true oval.

And what would happen to the Shute Shield, the Bears. The existing community sport and functions. You guys might have a point if North Sydney Oval sat empty. But it isn't. It is farcical to draw a line on google maps and think this could be done cheaply and without disruption.

An AFL team would remove all these things and remove the feeling of the ground. Not every oval needs AFL

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Riiight.

Posted about the Derby yet in the Swans board?

Oh so heritage being destroyed is fine if it’s for money... ok. So the exact same thing, although there isn’t any heritage listed items to North Sydney that would have to be destroyed. Unlike the pool etc at Parra.

No one has yet asked or campaigned for that. But whose to say it wouldn’t, after a revamp, get used year long?

Blacktown? Ask NSW cricket and the mayor at the time, We were just some extra help so they could get their funding across the line, then told the club we couldn’t base ourselves there full time.

You really are clueless in this.

I wanted pool retained but case for afl specific change to North Sydney not even close to Bankwest.
Blacktown was dudded by afl.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Lords is not a true oval.

And what would happen to the Shute Shield, the Bears. The existing community sport and functions. You guys might have a point if North Sydney Oval sat empty. But it isn't. It is farcical to draw a line on google maps and think this could be done cheaply and without disruption.

An AFL team would remove all these things and remove the feeling of the ground. Not every oval needs AFL

As grandiose as bears NRL bid they have more chance of playing in top tier comp than any fantasy north shore afl team

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im fairly sure Clarko said on 360 earlier in the week that the system is setup for clubs to win a flag every 18yrs,

Which directly contradicts your next statement.

the likelihood of new teams realising success is well below that of established clubs and even less chance against heartland clubs.

Snap.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sure, locals love to see park land reduced & heritage structures destroyed

Just repeating the same falsehood over and over again doesn't make them come true.

"We have been talking about extending the oval at N.S. Oval. WITHIN THE EXISTING BOUNDARIES of N.S. Oval.
No part of the surrounding park need be touched and no buildings need to be removed.
Cricket will be IMPROVED because the N.S. shape (a truly odd shape) would become a true oval.
Locals will love the redevelopment because N.S. is the home of the N.S. Bombers."

Not forgetting Bears still play there along with women's & rugby matches.

What's your point ? It's an oval - it can play a range of games, including Australian Rules Football.
Do you want to see cricket and rugby end because I certainly have made no mention of it.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where abouts in sydney do you live pippen?
A lot of people comment on the potential Sydney market without really spending anymore time there than a few days at most, and some have not even spend 1 night there
A lot of people comment on the future of having a team in Canberra without really spending any more than a few days there if at all
I'm sure if Peter Valandy's said something along the lines of putting another NRL club in Melbourne a lot of people would ask the question "What does he know about the Melbourne market" and the same with Sydney from people outside NSW.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
And what would happen to the Shute Shield, the Bears. The existing community sport and functions.

There's this thing called sharing.
There's this other thing called "return". Put some elite sport on there and you might get a return.

An AFL team would remove all these things and remove the feeling of the ground.

North Sydney is great. And I say this as someone who never been there. .

You mean it might improve the shape of the ground and the amenities. You admitted that you know NOTHING.

Not every oval needs AFL

Maybe, but why do you want to exclude every AFL team when they have an equal right to an oval ?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
A lot of people comment on the potential Sydney market without really spending anymore time there than a few days at most, and some have not even spend 1 night there
A lot of people comment on the future of having a team in Canberra without really spending any more than a few days there if at all
I'm sure if Peter Valandy's said something along the lines of putting another NRL club in Melbourne a lot of people would ask the question "What does he know about the Melbourne market" and the same with Sydney from people outside NSW.

And a lot of people comment who are more concerned with other sports they follow more closely.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
There's this other thing called "return". Put some elite sport on there and you might get a return.

You mean it might improve the shape of the ground and the amenities. You admitted that you know NOTHING.
They just invested 6 mil into the stadium, so it can house more night matches and more events. U know, the cricket you keep dismissing.

And at least I admitted that I never been.
Maybe, but why do you want to exclude every AFL team when they have an equal right to an oval ?
And why do you want to exclude every other football code, who have used it far more often.

The Junction Oval is used primary for cricket. It is not an unheard of thing.

Edit: I forget to mention one key fact (AGAIN). How small North Sydney Oval and how unsuited, without major work, it is for Aussle Rules

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
And what would happen to the Shute Shield, the Bears. The existing community sport and functions.

An AFL team would remove all these things and remove the feeling of the ground.

You mean it might improve the shape of the ground and the amenities.

Not every oval needs AFL

Maybe, but why does BobbyMorri want to exclude every AFL team when they have an equal right to an oval ?

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
the cricket you keep dismissing.

Stop making things up. Women's cricket is what it is and it can continue to be what it is, if it can.

And at least I admitted that I never been.

North Sydney is great. And I say this as someone who never been there

yet you continue to act as an authority on the matter.

And why do you want to exclude every other football code, who have used it far more often.

Stop making things up. WTF have I said anything like that. In fact I've said the opposite.
It's about time the mods stopped your lying shyte.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
famous as an Australian Rules Football oval you clown.
It was an AFL venue......fairly certain it is now used, mainly, by Cricket Victoria. Because they needed a venue outside the MCG.

Hey, works both ways. North Hobart Oval is an AR only* venue. Just because it is an oval, doesn't make it suited to cricket.

Stop making things up. Women's cricket is what it is and it can continue to be what it is, if it can.

yet you continue to act as an authority on the matter.

Stop making things up. WTF have I said anything like that. In fact I've said the opposite.
It's about time the mods stopped your lying sh*te.
If you have an issue, report me. works better than calling me names.

1. I can like a venue from afar. Watching the girls(and boys) play cricket at North Sydney feels right, with the historical buildings and hill. The small size of the ground also prevents the ugly roping in you see at other venues and allows the crowd to get involved. To have that destroyed for a boring "modern" cereal pack ground, which would only really benefit one sport, would be a shame. and before you accuse me of lying (again), I mean destroyed as in the character of the ground, not the buildings. Things like the hill, the trees.

2. The venue is already shared. They have a drop in wicket. It is used by the other football codes. What do you think would happen if the AFL spent millions on a venue like this.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
The fact that pippen and bobbi are against it indicates that it's a good idea, as anything that is a threat to the sports they follow they fully rebuke the ideas.
For the record i have been to nso plenty of times, my best mate managed the greg chapell cricket store there for a number of years, so i think my knowledge on it is decent. I actually think it would be a great afl venue whilst also able to continue to service the other minor sports that bring in no revenue. A win, win.

We have been talking about extending the oval at N.S. Oval. WITHIN THE EXISTING BOUNDARIES of N.S. Oval.
No, you've just been talking s**t, like usual.

NSOcadestralboundaries.png

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey, works both ways.

So you agree it would be good to play Australian Rules Football on N.S. Oval again.

Watching the girls(and boys) play cricket at North Sydney feels right, with the historical buildings buildings

Yes and the Australian Rules Football.

I mean destroyed as in the character of the ground, not the buildings. Things like the hill, the trees.

Almost all of the ground would remain the same except for some grass and maybe one tree.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
No one is saying NSO should not be used by the NSW Cup RL Nth Sydney Bears, or RU teams- only that it can & should be made longer for AF matches.
The current Stands can remain intact, as can the big, old tree.

Exactly the same sharing scenario as occurs at Henson Park in Marrickville, inner WS, where the Newtown Jets NSW Cup RL team plays- & also shares it with AF teams.

There is a severe shortage of GR AF ovals in Sydney's NS & ES. I would also like to see the Swans' AFLW team enter the AFLW next- & eventually play at NSO.

What are the average & maximum size of the cricket crowds at NSO? Are there admission charges? If crowds are very small, other ovals could be better suited.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
No one is saying NSO should not be used by the NSW Cup RL Nth Sydney Bears, or RU teams- only that it can & should be made longer for AF matches.
The current Stands can remain intact, as can the big, old tree.

Exactly the same sharing scenario as occurs at Henson Park in Marrickville, inner WS, where the Newtown Jets NSW Cup RL team plays- & also shares it with AF teams.

There is a severe shortage of GR AF ovals in Sydney's NS & ES. I would also like to see the Swans' AFLW team eventually play at NSO.

What are the size of the cricket crowds at NSO? If very small, other ovals could be better suited.

I have nothing against Aussie Rules playing on the ground if the oval stays the same. I think it would be grand for AFLW, though that be tough due to conflicting seasons. (it should be mentioned that the Swans are building something at Moore Park for AFLW. It was a lack of training facilities which has cost us a AFLW team)

I am against destroying a grand, old ground for a pro-AFL team. It is unsuitable, stupid and arrogant thinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back