A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

RedV3x

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be playing a few practice matches in marrickville and the likes as well as having an in season presence at the showgrounds.

Beaten to the punch it's been going on for a while by the Swans as the inner west is Swan's territory.

That makes GWS's position even more meritorious considering they are tackling those, using your words, quote,
"heavily immigrant areas that barely know the game exists.'

robbieando

Oct 9, 2001
Spitting Bars
AFL Club
Sydney
I think inner west is swans zone, and they aren't allowed to promote themselves in the other sydney teams area.

The majority of the Inner West is a Swans Zone. Nothing stopping the Giants from promoting themselves in our zone (as there is nothing stopping us from doing the same) just better to use your resources in an area of your own so that you can be rewarded development-wise long term.

Canberra Pear

Team Captain
Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The majority of the Inner West is a Swans Zone. Nothing stopping the Giants from promoting themselves in our zone (as there is nothing stopping us from doing the same) just better to use your resources in an area of your own so that you can be rewarded development-wise long term.

Agreed. They might be easy pickings, but from an AFL perspective it's a waste of resources.

There are 60k people in Western Sydney that watch Penrith/Parramatta/Canterbury/Tigers games, so there are plenty of sports fans available to convert. And it's much more accepted to have two teams in different sports than going for both the Giants and the Swans.

Long-term, I think the large level of immigration is part of the reason why the AFL has placed the Giants in Western Sydney. For the large part, many of them don't yet have local sporting allegiances, and getting in on the ground floor can create multi-generational support for years to come. It might be a tough slog in the beginning, but I think GWS' work with new Australians will definitely pay off in the long run.

Bjo187

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Beaten to the punch it's been going on for a while by the Swans as the inner west is Swan's territory.

That makes GWS's position even more meritorious considering they are tackling those, using your words, quote,
"heavily immigrant areas that barely know the game exists.'

Yeah this is the whole reason I brought up marrickville, I knew the swans were re doing henson park to play aflw there and thought to myself why aren't the giants being proactive in that area as it's still 'west sydney' but would be easier to attract fans there.

RedV3x

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
there are plenty of sports fans available to convert.

No that would be

a waste of resources.

What you want to do is find the people that your sport appeals to.
Adults tend to be pretty much rusted on when it comes to sport.
The emphasis tends to be getting unaligned youngsters in a generational change.

why the AFL has placed the Giants in Western Sydney.

Potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential and potential.

For the large part, many of them don't yet have local sporting allegiances,.

Er, they play soccer. the default is soccer. You have to entice them away from soccer. You have to show that there is a pathway other than soccer.
Let's show them something more interesting, more attractive and more flashiy than soccer.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. AFL NSW/ACT is introducing Summer Auskick.

This represents a further ambitious & innovative strategy to promote GR AF in NSW- there is, obviously, much confidence that Auskick can be well attended & successful in summer, in NSW.
Perhaps it is motivated at attracting kids who play other sports in winter, but may be interested in a summer opportunity to play AF.

2. A broad-based "Summer Of Footy" campaign has been launched in NSW & ACT.

AFLNSWACT said

"We are thrilled to kick off a Summer of Footy right across NSW and the ACT, capturing the hearts and minds of tens of thousands (my emphases) along the way".

"Pre-season training for community clubs is already kicking into gear, school programming is back for the remainder of Term 4, NAB AFL Auskick registrations for 2022 are open, umpires are hitting the training track, talent programs and Academies are firing up, and the AFLW competition will be back bigger, better and longer than ever from early January.

Summer of Footy activities 2021/2022

In addition to the usual business of the pre-season, AFL NSW/ACT has developed a range of FREE activities:

• – AFL9s gala days across Sydney from 1 December
  • – Holiday camps to keep kids busy and active across NSW and the ACT
  • – Four-week AFLX programs kicking-off early 2022 across Greater Sydney
  • – Dozens of Come and Try events for new participants from January
  • – Auskick Christmas parties going off throughout December
  • – “Twelve days of Christmas” giveaways for our registered Auskickers (keep an eye on our socials!)
  • – Shopping centre AFL activations during the school holidays".

These developments in summer also reflect the confidence of AF officials, & bodes very well for the progress of GR AF in Sydney & NSW- &, eventually, a 3rd Sydney AFL team..

Interested in your thoughts bring back torps. Should gws be targeting the inner west a bit more to build a fan base?
Yes, I would certainly prefer that GWS target the Inner West, & NW of Sydney- both areas where AF has a significant presence, with excellent GR growth.

If GWS could "claim" these areas, it would be a big boost in their support- unfortunately, GWS has been thwarted, as the GR clubs are zoned to the Swans, with Swans signage etc. A missed opportunity.

Who would go there
The Saints ?
North?
I, & most posters on this Thread, prefer a Tas. 19 th team, before a 3rd AFL team is created somewhere in Sydney- & not a relocation.
The 3rd AFL team will only be created after GWS is financially stable off-field- probably some time in the 2030's.

Last edited:

Cubs2Lions

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Adelaide
I, & most posters on this Thread, prefer a Tas. 19 th team, before a 3rd AFL team is created somewhere in Sydney.
The 3rd AFL team will only be created after GWS is financially stable off-field- probably some time in the 2030's.
Don't think a 3rd team in New South Wales will be financially stable by the time the AFL decide on where to base the 20th club, as it will probably be too soon for that to occur, especially if Tasmania gains a license in the next 5-10 years, and the Giants would still need support from the AFL on a financial level by then IMO, adding in the fact the current times we live in as well.

If the AFL committee right now were sensible right now about future expansion, the safe option would be to give the future 19th & 20th team entities to Tasmania & Canberra (Manuka Oval Upgrade) by the end of this decade, before forming WA3 (Perth) & NSW3 (Northern Sydney) by the late 2030s/early 2040s, while still having future expansion options valid in QLD3, SA3, NT, NZ & etc in 2050+, if population & economy in those states, territories or countries allow for future expansion of the AFL competitions to 24+ teams (albeit this is without the relocation of Victorian Clubs).

Bjo187

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't think a 3rd team in New South Wales will be financially stable by the time the AFL decide on where to base the 20th club, as it will probably be too soon for that to occur, especially if Tasmania gains a license in the next 5-10 years, and the Giants would still need support from the AFL on a financial level by then IMO, adding in the fact the current times we live in as well.

If the AFL committee right now were sensible right now about future expansion, the safe option would be to give the future 19th & 20th team entities to Tasmania & Canberra (Manuka Oval Upgrade) by the end of this decade, before forming WA3 (Perth) & NSW3 (Northern Sydney) by the late 2030s/early 2040s, while still having future expansion options valid in QLD3, SA3, NT, NZ & etc in 2050+, if population & economy in those states, territories or countries allow for future expansion of the AFL competitions to 24+ teams (albeit this is without the relocation of Victorian Clubs).

Agree with those suggestions, I do worry that the AFL will see the carrot of nth qld though which I think for participation would be alright, but bloody hell football in high humidity is shithouse to watch so I would prefer there isn't a team there. Plus what player would wanna play there.

Bjo187

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
1. AFL NSW/ACT is introducing Summer Auskick.

This represents a further ambitious & innovative strategy to promote GR AF in NSW- there is, obviously, much confidence that Auskick can be well attended & successful in summer, in NSW.
Perhaps it is motivated at attracting kids who play other sports in winter, but may be interested in a summer opportunity to play AF.

2. A broad-based "Summer Of Footy" campaign has been launched in NSW & ACT.

AFLNSWACT said

"We are thrilled to kick off a Summer of Footy right across NSW and the ACT, capturing the hearts and minds of tens of thousands (my emphases) along the way".

"Pre-season training for community clubs is already kicking into gear, school programming is back for the remainder of Term 4, NAB AFL Auskick registrations for 2022 are open, umpires are hitting the training track, talent programs and Academies are firing up, and the AFLW competition will be back bigger, better and longer than ever from early January.

Summer of Footy activities 2021/2022

In addition to the usual business of the pre-season, AFL NSW/ACT has developed a range of FREE activities

Yes, I would certainly prefer that GWS target the Inner West, & NW of Sydney- both areas where AF has a significant presence, with excellent GR growth.

If GWS could "claim" these areas, it would be a big boost in their support- unfortunately, GWS has been thwarted, as the GR clubs are zoned to the Swans, with Swans signage etc. A missed opportunity.

Yep it annoys me, especially when I saw a swans academy player was from a team called the inner west magpies or something. Then you have the north shore bombers aren't they a gws academy club? Makes no sense why a team in the north is gws and team in the West is the swans designated area. The giants need as many footy positive areas as possible to spread the gospel when already giving a thirty years head start to the swans.

Cubs2Lions

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Adelaide
Agree with those suggestions, I do worry that the AFL will see the carrot of nth qld though which I think for participation would be alright, but bloody hell football in high humidity is shithouse to watch so I would prefer there isn't a team there. Plus what player would wanna play there.
Same thinking, plus you can add in the fact that the 2032 Summer Olympics will be held in Queensland as well, it just really wouldn't surprise me if the AFL decided to go down that route, although it would pretty much fail from Day 1 IMO given the reasons you mentioned above, and especially given the sorry state that the Gold Coast have been in (on-field & off-field) since its inception in the AFL for 11 years now and Brisbane only just starting to become financially successful & viable as well, on a off-field level.

Bjo187

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Same thinking, plus you can add in the fact that the 2032 Summer Olympics will be held in Queensland as well, it just really wouldn't surprise me if the AFL decided to go down that route, although it would pretty much fail from Day 1 IMO given the reasons you mentioned above, and especially given the sorry state that the Gold Coast have been in (on-field & off-field) since its inception in the AFL for 11 years now and Brisbane only just starting to become financially successful & viable as well, on a off-field level.

Actually I forgot about the Olympics, that makes the carrot even bigger to jump in pre 2032 as the afl will want a piece of the pie. They might trump Canberra which would be disappointing. It would also be a mistake having 3 teams in qld and only 2 teams in w.a. the second biggest footy state in Aus.

The reason I also brought up nth qld is because Eddie was randomly pushing that last year as team 20 and has a direct line through to gill.

RedV3x

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

RedV3x

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep it annoys me, especially when I saw a swans academy player was from a team called the inner west magpies or something.

it annoys me that you don't give these clubs their respect by using capital letters.
The Inner West Magpies are an old successful club and their followers would have taken the Swans on board when they arrived.
Those followers aren't going to change just because of zoning but they might do it of their own accord.

Then you have the north shore bombers aren't they a gws academy club?

Nope. you are thinking of Manly, a relatively new club with a rather meteoric rise.

Makes no sense why a team in the north is gws

But isn't sort of what you are asking for ?

team in the West is the swans designated area.

The Inner West has traditionall followed and supported the Swans.
Rezoning the Inner West to GWS might increase their support but basically people will make their own decisions.
Families might have connections with the Swans or they might want to try the new kid in town.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Queanbeyan FC NSW, bordering ACT, is offering a Challenge Cup comp. (Round Robin, 2 x15 min. halves, 25.2, 26.2, 27.2), inviting women's teams around Australia to enter, & challenge them- for $8k prize money!

The many Queanbeyan FC female players must believe they can have a team that will be competitive against top female GR snr teams from around Australia. This Challenge Cup reflects the strength of female GR in the Queanbeyan area of NSW (& ACT), & bodes well for its continuing popularity & growth.

Quenbeyan FC said

"2022 AFLW Patches Asphalt Queanbeyan Cup​

The Inaugural QTAFC AFLW Patches Asphalt Queanbeyan Cup will be held over the 25th, 26th and 27th of February 2022 at our home Aulich Park, in Queanbeyan!
Women’s football in Australia has grown exponentially in recent years, leading to an explosion of Junior, Youth and Senior Women’s programs across the country.

AFLW continues to see impressive growth, with all 18 AFL teams set to have an AFLW team by the end of 2023. This growth at the elite level has sparked massive interest and development of the game at the grass roots level and we are looking to not only take our successful Women’s program to the next level, but offer a Tournament worthy of showcasing the talent across our region (my emphases)!".

EDIT: The very strong growth of female AF has led to new facilities being built at Queanbeyan FC.

"QUEANBEYAN TIGERS SCORE BIG WITH NEW FACILITIES​

IMG_3572.jpg

Mr Barilaro (local MP) said it marked an exciting milestone with the club’s facilities enhanced to cater for
the growing Queanbeyan Tigers women’s teams, which are now part of the fabric of
Queanbeyan.
“We are lucky enough to have a huge amount of home grown talent in Queanbeyan, however,
the facilities here were struggling to cope with the enormous growth in women’s participation in
AFL (my words, & emphases, in brackets)".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad